- Politics and Social Issues»
- Social Issues
10 Best Women’s Wellness Ideas
Know the Women’s Health Issues
Here are some of the common health concerns every woman should know about.
Breast problems: Breast lumps are a common health issue for women. Many lumps are noncancerous, but all of them deserve medical attention.
Heart disease: Heart disease is the number-one cause of death for females in the United States and the leading cause of death worldwide.
Osteoporosis: Women are much more likely to suffer from osteoporosis than men. Initially, this disease occurs without symptoms. Estrogen deficiency following menopause is one of the strongest risk factors for developing it.
Depression: Signs and symptoms of clinical depression include changes in sleeping patterns, feelings of tension or anxiety, low energy, problems concentrating, feelings of hopelessness, loss of interest in things you used to enjoy.
Luckily, adopting healthy lifestyle choices can be very helpful in reducing women's health risks. Positive mental health is associated with improved wellness. Schedule your well-woman visit, get active by exercising for at least 30 minutes a day to boost bone health and avoid osteoporosis, eat healthy and reduce intake of processed foods, maintain a proper weight for your height, manage stress, get enough sleep, stay away from cigarettes, cut down on alcohol, and avoid unhealthy and risky habits, such as texting while driving and not wearing a seat belt.
Purpose of Women’s Health Week
National Women's Health Week (NWHW) was started by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office on Women’s Health to encourage and remind women to make their health and wellness a priority. The week involves educational programs, events, fundraisers and more. It also helps women understand what they can do to improve their health. You can celebrate National Women’s Health Week by organizing or attending an event in your area; spreading the word through social media; sharing info with friends, family and colleagues; or posting the NWHW web buttons to your blog or website.
Best Ways to Spread Healthy Living Tips
You can do your part to promote women’s health awareness—join in the NWHW celebration by using different social media and promotional tools. Here’s a list of things you can do to contribute:
- Share ideas on healthy lifestyles and beauty treatments and different relaxation techniques.
- Invite some people to watch a documentary on breast cancer awareness.
- Go outside with your child and play tag. It’s the best way to keep fit and have fun.
- Start a game with your family where everyone has to track his or her water intake. It is very important to stay hydrated at all times. See who wins.
- Learn a new sport by signing up for a sports and fitness class. Don’t forget to take a friend with you.
- Sign up for a healthy cooking class and tell everyone about it.
- Buy a pink ribbon to express your support for women affected by breast cancer.
- Wear a custom T-shirt with messages such as “Think Pink” or “No one fights alone.”
- Order bracelets with a customized message such as “Together We Will Fight” or “Join the Fight” or “Unite & Fight” with ribbon artwork.
- Share your activities, thoughts and ideas on Facebook, Twitter and other social platforms, using the #NWHW hashtag.
- This week, remind yourself and the ladies in your life to improve their well-being and to recognize that our physical, mental and emotional health matters most. Don’t forget that there is no better time than now to start living healthy!