16 Philippine New Cities enjoy Full Status
16 Municipalities are now Full-Fledged Cities
From Political Tidbits of March 20, 2011 quoted are substantive portion to the effect:
“On Aug. 24, 2010, the Court en banc, in a resolution penned by original ponente Carpio, reinstated the Nov. 18, 2008 decision that had denied cityhood to the 16 municipal applicants.
But the Obstinate 16 refused to take the Carpio resolution sitting down and challenged it before the SC. This resulted last Feb. 15, 2011 with the 7-6 majority decision penned by Justice Lucas Bersamin, that rendered “favorable action” on the 16 Cityhood petition on the basis of some “cogent points.”
LCP's Petition to Void 16 Cityhood laws Dismissed
According to the SunStar of July 7, 2011, the high court rendered its final decision on the issue on June 28, 2011 and promulgated same decision on July 4, 2011.
With the ruling handed down in Baguio City, where SC justices were holding their summer sessions, the High Court dismissed the petition filed by the League of Cities of the Philippines (LCP) seeking to declare the 16 cityhood laws unconstitutional.
Votes in Favor
6 justices, who concurred in with 1) Justice Bersamin in the Feb. 15 resolution, maintained their votes in favor of the constitutionality of the 16 laws. They were 2) Chief Justice Renato C. Corona and 3) Justices Presbitero J. Velasco Jr., 4) Teresita Leonardo de Castro, 5) Roberto A. Abad, 6) Jose Portugal Perez, and 7) Jose Castral Mendoza.
The dissenters 6 of them were 1) Justices Antonio T. Carpio, 2) Conchita Carpio Morales, 3) Arturo D. Brion, 4) Diosdado M. Peralta, 5) Martin S. Villarama Jr., and 6) Maria Lourdes P.A. Sereno.
Justices Antonio Eduardo B. Nachura and Mariano C. Del Castillo inhibited themselves.
Declared constitutional were:
- Republic Act No. 9389 (Baybay City in Leyte),
- RA 9390 (Bogo City in Cebu),
- RA 9391 (Catbalogan City in Samar),
- RA 9392 (Tandag City in Surigao del Sur),
- RA 9393 (Lamitan City in Basilan),
- RA 9394 (Borongan City in Eastern Samar),
- RA 9398 (Tayabas City in Quezon),
- RA 9404 (Tabuk City in Kalinga),
- RA 9405 (Bayugan City in Agusan del Sur),
- RA 9407 (Batac City in Ilocos Norte),
- RA 9408 (Mati City in Davao Oriental),
- RA 9409 (Guihulngan City in Negros Oriental),
- RA 9434 (Cabadbaran City in Agusan del Norte),
- RA 9435 (El Salvador City in Misamis Oriental),
- RA 9436 (Carcar City in Cebu), and
- RA 9491 (Naga City in Cebu).
The Baguio City ruling was the fifth decision handed down by the SC on the issue challenging the constitutionality of the 16 cityhood laws.
16 Quest for Cityhood Intensified
Spearheaded by Tabuk City, Kalinga, 16 Phlippine municipalities are hot on tract to regain their short-lived status as cities. These 16 municipalities, which were voided by the Supreme Court in its recent ruling, vowed to push their quest for cityhood with more vigor and intensity
These municipalities have already been enjoying their status as cities granted them by laws passed by congress but the High Court- in its ruling- reinstated an earlier declaration that the conversion of the 16 towns into cities is unconstitutional
Earlier, the League of Cities of the Philippines (LCP) petitioned the SC against the wholesale conversion of municipalities into cities and the negative effect of the same on the Internal Revenue Allotment (IRA) share of the cities which they obviously do not want to share to developing towns.
Former Solicitor General Estelito Mendoza who acts as counsel for the mayors of the 16 municipalities will file a motion for reconsideration before the Supreme Court on its ruling which voided the cityhood of these municipalities.
These 16 municipalities include:
- Tabuk City, Kalinga ;
- Baybay City Leyte;
- Bogo City, Cebu;
- Catbalogan City, Samar;
- Tandag City, Surigao del Sur;
- Lamitan city, Basilan;
- Borongan City, Samar;
- Tayabas City, Quezon;
- Bayugan City, Agusan del Sur;
- Batac City, Ilocos Norte;
- Mati City, Davao Oriental;
- Guihulangan City, Negros Oriental;
- Kabadbaran City, Agusan del Norte;
- El Salvador city, Misamis Oriental;
- Carcar; and
- Naga City in Cebu.