- Politics and Social Issues»
- Environment & Green Issues
20 Artsy Tips on How to Reuse Unwanted CDs and DVDs
Overview of CDs and DVDs
The CD or Compact Disc is an optical disc used to store digital data. On the other hand, DVD or Digital Video Disc is like CD but with more storage capacity and it was the replacement of VHS tapes for its superior ability to reproduce moving pictures and sound.
Sony and Philips first introduced Compact Disc in the market in 1850 as an alternative to the famous audio cassette tapes.
They later extended the technology in 1984 so the storing and retrieving of data became capable, thus CD-ROM came to life.
As the technology advances, there are many updates and new release of versions of these 'magic' things.
And today, since there are new trends, MP3 and iPod players on the line, people tend to just download it directly from their player.
But CDs and DVDs are still use today for movies and musics, installers and winzips.
There are no guarantees that CDs and DVDs will not be damaged. They have the tendency to become damaged due to wear and tear, heat and scratches. So we just throw or burn it away.
Instead of throwing a bunch of discarded old CDs and DVDs that are lying around our home, reuse it. Think of other ways on how to reuse and revamp your old CDs and DVDs.
It can save you a lot of money for buying new things and would definitely help the environment as well as your household budget.
I've listed here 20 very simple and artsy ways on how to make your CDs and DVDs awesome again!
1. A template for a perfect circle on your drawings and projects.
You can use the outer circle for large circles and the inner hole for small circles.
2. Simple candle holder to catch dripping and melting wax and helps protect your table.
The shiny side also makes a cool reflection of the flames and may double its ambiance.
3. Lovely Sun Catchers for your window and garden.
Shiny side out, CDs glued together, colored strings hanging on the garden or window can really make a beautiful decoration.
4. String your CDs and DVDs to make blinds or long curtains for your window or washroom's door, and for doorway screen.
5. A unique CD dumbbells for exercising. This will require a lot of CDs, around 80 on each side of a rod.
6. Protect your floor and carpet by putting old CDs under the furniture’s, couches, chair and table legs to help it not getting dreaded by furniture’s indent.
7. Use it as paper weight.
You can glue sea shells or decorative stones to CDs to make it heavy.
8. Makes a great scraper material to scrape frost and snow from car windows, and also when cleaning pots and pans.
9. Cutting it to make your own guitar pick.
10. Unique party invitations or giveaways.
You can just scribble down the details and add some glitters to make it more attractive.
11. Your own creative wind chimes to hang on your porch.
12. Teensy wallpaper and wall art decorations for your room.
You can use this as frames or borders for the posters on the wall.
13. Simplify and organize your garden rows by putting a CD marker on each line.
Glue the CDs to a stick on the ground and write the name of the vegetables on that row.
14. Bicycle wheels and spokes also need a make-over such as bike reflectors and CDs are the best reflectors.
15. Christmas tree also accepts old CDs as decorations hanging on its branches.
16. A lovely CD name tag.
Kids will sure love this especially when you add glitters to their names and let them hang around their necks.
17. Use as paint palettes for kids.
18. Make it as a room divider.
19. A great way to use as a coaster for beverage, cups and for small flower pots in the house.
20. You can sell them online or donate it to sites that accept CDs to be recycled.
Always choose to reuse old things. In that way we help reduce the demand of things that contributes to environmental problems.
I have read somewhere on the net that recycling CDs and DVDs don't do much for the environment.
But I think as simple as reusing old things, we can really save a lot - from coasters to scrapers, we don't need to buy new things; our old CDs can do it for us.
"Do what you can, where you are, with what you have."
Recycling Tips and Ideas
- 5 Simple Ways How to Reuse Old Rubber Slippers or Flip-flops
Rather than pitching your old slippers to trash or burn them, why not make the most out of it? There are really some cool and creative ways how reuse them for your household thus help you save extra money.
- 10 Most Recyclable Household Items
Recycling and re-using things and items can help save our environment, not to add it helps save us money. This also helps conserve additional energy consumption and reduce the amount of garbage and waste that consumes our landfills.
- Simple Tips on How to Reuse Old Tires
Just because an old worn-out tire cannot be used on a car again, it doesn't mean that its useful life is over. Here are some simple tips and ideas on how to reuse and give our old used tires a make-over.
- Simple and Creative Ways How to Reuse Old Newspapers
Ever wondered what to do with your old piles of newspaper? Don’t just toss it away on your recycle bins! Here are some ways to rescue old newspapers and give it a second life.
- Creative Ideas on How to Reuse Styrofoam
Styrofoam almost take forever to degrade and take up as much as 30% of our landfills. Here are some useful ways of re-using Styrofoam that might be of great help to your household as well as in reducing overall environmental problems.
Simple Ways How to Save Environment
- The Greener, the Better: Why We Should Plant More Trees
It only takes minutes to cut down trees but it will take years to grow one. Planting more trees will benefit the next generation just like we have benefited on the trees of yesterday.
- Going Green Inside Your Home
“Going Green” offers an array of benefits and it’s the best thing that you can do for your family and for the world. By living green, you don’t only save money - you also help save our environment.
- Simple Ways How to Save Our Environment
There are number of ways on how to save the environment - and it all start with you! Be the agent of change. Let's paint the world green.
© 2012 Mycee. All Rights Reserved.