- Politics and Social Issues»
- Environment & Green Issues
A Pleasant Guest on my Terrace-The House Sparrow
A Pleasant Guest !!! 'The Citizen Sparrow'! Why?
© Chitrangada Sharan , June 2015
All Rights Reserved.
One might wonder about the title of this hub.
A Sparrow!--A welcome guest. Why?
The reason is simple. We don't get to see as many Sparrows these days as earlier. Do we?
Some 40 Years Earlier:
♥ When I was a little girl, I remember we woke up in the morning with the sweet chirping sound of this charming and active bird.
♥ So many of them sat in a row in the garden, over the roof tops, in the backyard. almost every where their presence energized the whole atmosphere.
♥ Its difficult to say, who was more delighted to see the other--Me or the Sparrows!
♥ We used to watch them feed their cute little ones inside their nest. The mother sparrow would bring some food in her beak to the nest and all the 3-4 little ones would start shouting--- Cheee-Cheee-Cheee! , from inside the nest showing off their tender pink beaks and head.All eager to have the food from the mother sparrow at the same time. It was such a refreshing and lovely sight,
♥This was our favourite pass time, as there were no T.V. or Internet and we were not so much overburdened or stressed like today's children.
Just study, play around and be happy--Such a simple life!
Some 25 Years Earlier:
♥ Even when my kids were younger these beautiful birds were a regular visitor in my balcony. I have such pleasant memories of a number of Sparrows on my balcony wall, some two decades ago.
♥ My kids used to love the sight. They would feed them with rice grains or other grains and pulses. And the sight of the grains disappearing within minutes was so pleasing to my kids.
♥ But the nests were not much visible around and the numbers of the sparrows also was decreasing.
The House Sparrows: The Situation Now!
Sad but true!
~~These lovely Sparrows are the endangered one!
Some of the reasons which come to my mind for this can be listed as follows:---
- Not much greenery, whether small or big plants/ trees around our homes.
- Our homes during childhood were surrounded with many fruit trees such as guava and grape plants.
- Such trees attract birds as their abode and they make their nest on them.
- Nowadays these fruit plants are rarely found around residential areas.
- Many flowering plants like Jasmine, lily, Rose, Marigold and so many of them were planted in big homes.
- That was enough to keep the air, pollution free and birds happy and they used to keep coming in.
- Due to urbanization and heavy doze of technology, this kind of vegetation can be found in society parks only, not at individual residences, which have turned into apartments.
- Another very important reason is the 'excessive use of mobile phones.' I don't know how , but they are responsible for the decreasing number of this charming bird.
- According to an expert in this regard, this is because of the electromagnetic radaition, emitted from the mobile towers.
Tell me not of joy: there's none Now my little sparrow's gone; He, just as you, Would toy and woo, He would chirp and flatter me, He would hang the wing awhile, Till at length he saw me smile, Lord! how sullen he would be!
What Can Be Done To Protect The Sparrows!
Environmentalists all over the World are doing a lot of research, to find out the reasons for the decreasing number of House Sparrows and also suggesting ways, that you and me can follow.
- Attract the bird by means of enough vegetation in your area.
- Keep wooden boxes on tree branches, and on your terrace so that they are able to make their nest.
- Spread some grains on your balcony wall or open space and also keep some water in a small container, suitable for their small beaks.
- Create awareness among people, especially the younger generation.
- Buildings, apartments, skyscrapers everywhere!
- Let us create some green space for the birds.
- Avoid cutting of 'Trees' unless necessary.
House Sparrow, source: You tube
Happy is the person who not only sings, but feels God's eye is on the sparrow, and knows He watches over me. To be simply ensconced in God is true joy.
~~~Alfred A. Montaper
How frequently do you see House Sparrows in your area?
One fact is very easy to understand even by common people like us -----
-All birds including Sparrows are susceptible to effects of ever increasing pollution levels in the air and water.
Human beings may get sick or develop diseases because of pollution, but birds are more vulnerable and sadly they seem to be dying because of this.
Let us take a pledge to do something for this endangered bird and create awareness among others as well, so that we have more and more pleasant and welcome visits by this charming and active bird--The House Sparrow!
© Chitrangada Sharan 24th June, 2015
All Rights Reserved.
PROTECTED: PLEASE DO NOT COPY!
Most endangered birds, source: You tube
- The Trees: What Would They Speak If They Could Speak...
How much attention do we pay to the trees, when we are walking past them! Have we ever wondered what they will speak, if they could. Would it surprise us if they said, 'the man' is their bitter enemy!
- Brisk Walking Is The Safest And Easiest Form Of Exer...
Brisk walking is the safest and easiest form of exercise. While the fresh air does wonders to your mood, energy levels, blood circulation; you don't even realize that you have finished your exercises!
- Old Cellphone: How To Recycle Old Mobile Phone In 'D...
Help to keep the Earth green by dropping your old Cell phone in a 'Drop box'. You will help to keep the Environment safe by helping in Recycling process. Electronic wastes contains harmful components!
© 2015 Chitrangada Sharan