The case for American Supremacy
In my recent discussions with some friends, I realized that my whole premise is wrong in assuming that they understood history and the significance of the American experience. In some people's mind, our country is on equal footing with other nations around the world. They object to the arrogance that some Americans belief that we have the greatest country in the world. I decide to create this lens and make the case for American Supremacy. Some people do know this but claims that we are on the down trend. George Soros recently wrote a book called "The bubble of American Supremacy". I think he is wrong.
First of all, let me state that I am not an elitist. This lens is an opinion but an opinion based on facts. Just as one can form an educated opinion regarding which auto manufacturer makes the best cars(Toyota), I am going to make the case for the superiority of our unique American government/economic enterprise.
- Before I start, it is good to ask why the US is on top? What is unique about our situation? Is it our people? our land and resources? our location and climate?
- During my career with IBM, I travelled extensively all over the globe. I can speak from personal experience that unequivocally we are the best country in the world. That is not to say we are perfect. But all things considered, we are the best. Given the choice, I will want to live in this country over all others that I've visited.
- Let me answer my question by stating my opinion. You can argue and disagree but this is what I think. I believe the US is a unique country that was formed some over 200 years ago and due to the wisdom of our founding fathers and the Constitution, we are blessed. It is this belief in liberty and democracy that has brought us prosperity and greatness.
Here are some details...
I will present some facts that proves my proposition.
- Our Constitution has withstood the test of time. Our unique form of government has survived civil wars, scandals, catastrophies, and civil unrests and have evolved and become more equitable and just. Even when we have elected "inept" presidents, our country survived. That is the beauty of our system.
- "We the People..." our democracy is based on the strength of our citizens and their hard work and their sense of fair play and compassion. No time in history was this the case. We've had kings and emperors and dictators and tribal leaders in our past history and non has performed as well as our representative form of government.
- Our country was founded on Judeo-Christian principles. Newt Gingrich wrote a book recently about the influence of God in our past history - "Rediscovering God in America".
- The Bill of Rights - states plainly what rights each citizen can expect and that the government cannot infringe upon those rights. This is a "new" concept in government. The laws are there to protect the individual from government instead of suppressing them.
- Separation of Church and State - This is one of the most miss understood elements of our government. This separation was put in place by our founding fathers such that the people and their freedom to worship is not infringed upon by their government. In the past, there are State sponsored religions that forces people to join a church and pay dues. That was one of the reason why the Pilgrims left England to search our religious freedom.
- Free-Enterprise system - Ever since Adam Smith wrote the "Wealth of Nations", there has been a debate on which is the best form of economic system. I would say the debate is over. It has been proven time and again that capitalism is the best path to prosperity.
- American Ingenuity - This has been shown by the number of patents produced by Americans and US Corporations.
- Technology - The US is the only country that have landed men on the moon.
- Defender of the free world - From defeating Facists and Nazis to Communism and to Islamo extremist, the US is the only country that have the resources and the will to defeat tyrants and despots around the world.
- Wealth creation - From the stock market to real estate to infrastructure and insurance and banking and to the internet, the US and innovation have created wealth that benefited everyone. The rising tide raises all boats.
- Immigration - Another side indicator that people should consider. Why are there millions of people all over the world trying to immigrate to the US? Why are they risking their lives and breaking the law trying to escape from Cuba?
Our country have been blessed with many great leaders. From George Washington to Ronald Reagan, we had a series of great leaders that carried us through the rough times. Do you think this was a coincidence? or do you think there was some divine intervention? Just a thought.
- Who would you want to be on your side?
In times of adversity, it is often good to ask the question - who can you count on?
Would you want to depend on France or Germany or Russia or China or the UN or would you want the US helping you out?
When the tsunami hit Southeast Asia in 2005, who stepped up with the rescue? The US Military.
In this hub, I have tried to build the case that the US and its economy is unsurpassed. By no means is our system perfect. In this world, there is no perfection. We do have the best system that provides freedom of opportunity for anyone to succeed. That is the winning secret formula. In our lifetime, we have seem Bill Gates rise from a college drop out to become the richest man on the planet. Only in America can this happen. There are numerous Horatio Algier stories. The next one could be you!!!
Final word - In our discussions of global issues, we are often confronted with "moral equivalence". This is the proposition that all countries have the same equal status. No country is above others. The UN is the source to address all conflicts and injustices. The US is no better or worse than say Iran or North Korea... That is insane. As an American, I will give the benefit of doubt to my country over all others. As I said, no country is perfect but our country is trying to do the "right" thing. We may not succeed in all cases.
Some related links...
- IBM tops patent 13 years in a row
The number of patents have been dominated by the US.
- Forbes top 100 richest person
Wealthy list dominated by Americans.
- Charity Giving
Guess what? The US is the most generous.
- US search and rescue
The best in the world.
- Religious affiliation of our founding fathers
Information that all US citizens should know.
Great Stuff on Amazon
© 2007 Jack Lee