- Politics and Social Issues»
- North America Political & Social Issues
Texas Politics: Bill White for Texas Governor
Bill White for Governor
Hear it from the man himself
The People of Houston Speak for Bill White
Under Bill White's terms as mayor of Houston, crime rates dropped because he worked closely with his law enforcement.
His Plan for Texas Border Security
He would appoint 1250 local and state law enforcement officers to the border.
- Using federal grants
- State appropriations
- Drug forfeiture funds
- Using "all" available funds allotted for border security (Rick Perry spent less than 10% of Home Land Security funds for border security and used state appropriations for other items.
- Secure Communities (He used this program in Houston) A program that ensures that criminals in the U.S. illegally are identified and turned over to the federal authorities for prosecution or deportation.
Native San Antonian Ran for Governor
William "Bill" White a native of San Antonio, Texas and the son of educators gave Rick Perry a run for his money. Bill White served the city of Houston as mayor for three terms, winning each election with over 80% of the votes. He must have been doing something right.
White Under Pressure
During Hurricane Katrina, White took what could have been a disaster and took control. With the massive evacuation of Louisiana, White held an emergency meeting with the local hotel owners and apartment complex owners for their assistance. Meeting with the Houston Apartment Association members and managers he was able to provide housing for up to 150,000 evacuees. At the meeting, he had them sign a letter of intent, agreeing to pay them for 12 months, using Houston's budget to do it and getting reimbursements from FEMA. Then directing the evacuees to the proper channels for further assistance.
What did he do for Houston, Tx?
- Added more jobs than 37 states combined
- Cut energy consumption even as Houston was growing
- Reformed municipal pensions
- Provided more parks and libraries
- Cut property taxes for 5 years in a row
Crime rates dropped to lowest in 25 years. Earning him the FBI Director's Community Leadership Award.
Gave Back to the Community
- Served as a Sunday school teacher
- Founded, Expectation Graduation. A program to keep kids in school and lowering the dropout rate, while also bringing dropouts back to school to earn their diploma.
Didn't Run Again...
Texans needed Bill White, but Rick Perry played the "good old boy" system and had deeper pockets. In the end Bill White was defeated, but the one thing that cannot ever change, is his record of doing what is right for the people of Houston.
Texans were hoping so for another run, but he chose to sit the next one out.