Beto O'Rourke: Facts Not Fiction
Do Republicans fear Beto O'Rourke will beat them?
Beto O'Rourke is not your typical type of candidate. Robert "Beto" O'Rourke is of Irish descent, and his father was involved in locally politics, then became a judge. Beto has grown up in the political world of El Paso, Texas.
When he ran for the Senate in 2018, he did something that hadn't been done in 40 years in the state of Texas. He went door to door, county to county and listened to the people and what they had to say. Beto didn't take money for PACS and special interests, he ran his campaign on small donor donations. Beto showed not only Texas, but America who he was and on election day, Beto had people from all over the United States tweeting him; "good luck" and wishing that he were running in their state.
Ted Cruz and the Republican Party tried to find something "dirty" to stick, but to no avail. So they created lies that they could spread through right wing media and Ted Cruz's television ads.
When Beto O'Rourke announced that he would be running for the Presidency of the United States, the highest ranking Republican, President Trump said he thought Beto was crazy because he talked with his hands. It was this simple comment, that encouraged Fox News to go on a tirade about Beto O'Rourke's use of his hands and meme's began spreading untruths on social media.
Even Beto's family has been attacked in an attempt to try to discredit Beto O'Rourke. With about 20 Democrats, running or exploring the run for President, it's clear that Beto O'Rourke has stirred a fear in the Republican party and is now the brunt of their inside jokes and political attacks.
Beto O'Rourke changed his name to run for office
According to Ted Cruz and Republican PAC ad, Beto O'Rourke changed his name to Beto so he could win over the Hispanic vote. However, Robert Francis O'Rourke was named after his grandfather and so do differentiate, from day one, his family called him "Beto". Having lived in El Paso among the Hispanic population, they knew "Beto" was short for Roberto or Robert. It was a name he grew up with. Beto grew up among the Hispanic culture and communities and learned to speak Spanish. None for political gain, but from life's experience.
Beto wants to throw elderly and veterans in the garbage
Someone who was trying to get a head of the presidential run announcement from Beto O'Rourke took to social media not only spreading hate, but untruths, that Beto O'Rourke wanted to throw out the elderly and wounded veterans in the garbage. They also claimed that he said, "When a tool breaks, you don't fix it, you throw it in the damn trash."
Someone who thought he/she could get a jump on things turned out to get an ear full from those who know about Beto O'Rourke's support for both the elderly and the veterans first hand and those throughout America, that followed him through his Senate campaign.
- Beto O'Rourke was a member of the House Veterans Affairs Committee
- He lead a bipartisan initiative called Honor our Commitment Act with the initiative to expand mental health care for vets. *Signed into law.
- In 2017, he sponsored two bills. Get Veterans a Better Doctor Now Act and Enhanced Veteran Health Care Act of 2017.
- In El Paso, Beto held regular town hall meetings with veterans to hear their concerns.
- At a rally Beto O'Rourke said that "seniors built the communities, the businesses and the families we now enjoy and we should honor them with the commitment we made to take care of them and their social security and medicare."
Libertarian files complaint against CNN & Beto O'Rourke
Neal Dikeman was the Libertarian candidate running in the race against Ted Cruz as well. When Ted Cruz and Beto O'Rourke were being courted by CNN to do a town hall. Neal Dikeman was excluded and he took his grievance to the FCC and filed that "if" O'Rourke appeared on CNN, it would amount to a $10 million dollar donation from CNN.
This didn't go anywhere because Cruz nor O'Rourke took up CNN's offer.
Facebook post "Beto" Reality Check
Aug of 2018, a person named Chris Wesley, posted what is to be a meme, but looks like a poorly scanned document calling it a Reality Check about Beto. It is unknown if the document was created by Mr. Wesley or if it was simply copied and shared. In it he makes 5 different claims.
- Claims that Robert O'Rourke is running under the name Beto to mislead voters in a Hispanic dominant state.
- Claims that Beto O'Rourke had a felony arrest record and that his father who's powerful political connection's made "deals".
- Claimed that Beto O'Rourke was guilty of insider trading.
- Claimed that Beto's Father had a drug scandal.
- Claimed O'Rourke family business was charged with altering records to IRS- added that it was Beto, his mother and his sister who owned the Furniture business.
The document ended with a note that claimed that the issues had not been effectively reported to Texas Voters.
In response to the Facebook meme
- Meme Incorrect: The fact that Beto O'Rourke got his nickname from birth is and was well covered during the campaign.
- Meme Incorrect: There were no felony arrests. The breaking and entering (B&E) was jumping over the fence at UT El Paso campus. It was a misdemeanor, for which he was released the following morning. The DUI, 1st count was also a misdemeanor of which Beto O'Rourke took a Misdemeanor Diversion Class and had adjudication for the offense. His father had been retired for over 9 years.
- Meme was 1/2 correct about the insider trading, but it was Beto's broker who was working his stocks, within 24 hours Beto found out and reported it to the House Ethics Committee, reviewed his stocks and found 6 others. He sold the stocks and wrote a check to the US Treasury for the total of the profits from the sales.
- Meme was correct, Pat O'Rourke was involved in a drug scandal when Beto was 10 years old in 1983. He purchased a new radio for his jeep and while they were replacing the radio, they found a condom with white substance in it. The Captain of the Sheriff's department made the decision to have it removed and destroyed because he felt that it was planted to hurt the Judge. This had nothing to do with Beto other than to humiliate him and his family.
- Meme was half correct in the fact that in 2010, his mother was responsible for the business and after all was said and done, she was fined $250,000 and 5 years probation. In 2013, she closed up shop and gifted her son, a shop in the shopping center. Once again, this had nothing to do with Beto other than to humiliate him and his family.
© 2019 Lady Liberty