Women on the warpath
Come and Vote
Do you believe that Cotton could poison people including her children?
As a child she was unhappy
- MARY ANN COTTON saw the first light of day in Low Moorsley, Sunderland, England.
- She had an unhappy childhood.
- She moved to places in Northern England like Plymouth, Davon, Newcastle and County Durham.
She poisoned people without mercy for money
- She killed 20 people - three husbands, one lover, one friend, her mother, two Robinson's children, twelve children - including her own - by arsenic poisoning.
- She often killed for financial reasons - to collect insurance payouts.
- She died on 24th March 1873 at aged 40 by hanging at Durham County Jail.
She wrote a rhyme about her death
MARY ANN COTTON had written her own NURSERY RHYME by the same title which was sung after her hanging on March 24, 1873:
Mary Ann Cotton. She's dead and she's rotten. She lies in her bed, With her eyes wide open. Sing, sing, oh, what can I sing? Mary Ann Cotton is tied up with string. Where, where? Up in the air. Sellin' black puddens a penny a pair.
.Note: puddens are kinds of sausage
Come and Vote
What is the real reason why Wuornos became a prostitute-turned serial killer?
Abandoned and exposed to sex at early age
- Aileen "Lee" Wuornos, American serial killer, together with her elder brother Keith, were abandoned at an early age.
- She was known to have engaged in sexual acts with multiple partners, including her own brother.
- At 13, she got pregnant and bore a son in Detroit in 1971.
She killed 7 truck drivers
- Her criminal career started early.
- An American prostitute, she shot to death 7 men along the highways of Florida between 1989 and 1990.
- She confessed to these killings on January 16, 1991, claiming that her victims have tried to rape her and that she had acted in self-defense
Her victims include
- Richard Mallory, 51,
- Dick Humphreys, 56,
- David Spears, 43,
- Charles Carskaddon, 40,
- Peter Siems, 65,
- Troy Burress, 50,
- Walter Antonio, 62.
- She was pronounced guilty of the murder of only six of her 7 victims because Peter Siems corpse was not found up to her trial and conviction.
- She was executed by lethal injection on 9th October, 2002.
Her modus operandi
- Wuornos victims were truck drivers.
- She would walk by the highways, flag and hitchhike a passing truck and once inside, offer sex to the driver.
- Then she would systematically shot the driver to death and robbed them of cash and valuables.
- This explains why some of her victims were found nude.
Motive for killing
- Because of her too little income from prostitution, she was forced to find other means to support her and Tyria Moore's basic needs.
- She had a 4-year love relationship with Moore.
- She was afraid that Moore would desert her.
- The fact is that she really longed for the care and love which were denied by her parents.during her childhood.
- The affection she had long missed found temporary refuge in the person of Tyria Moore- the same sex of her- as well as in the companion of some close male friends.