Cabinet Members of the UK (2010 Election)
This hub hopes to outline the members in the UK cabinet for the 2010 election (the Conservative-Lib Dem Coalition) outlining their positions, backgrounds, and qualifications.
- Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
- First Lord of the Treasury
- Minister for the Civil Service
- Leader of the Conservative Party
- Conservative MP for Witney
- Educated at Heatherdown Prepatory School, Winkfield, Berkshire from the age of 7 and then Eton College, Berkshire when he was 13
- Father was a stockbroker, Ian Donald Cameron
- Mother was a Justice of the Peace (magistrate)
- Brother is Allan Alexander QC (top barrister) (Eton educated)
- Maternal Grandfather was Lieutenant-Colonel Sir William Malcolm Mount of Wasing Place, 2nd Baronet TD (Eton educated)
- Paternal Grandfather was Tim Rathbone, (Conservative) MP for Lewes
- First in Philosophy, Politics, Economics from Brasenose College, Oxford University
- David Cameron is a lineal descendant of King William IV through an illegitimate line, stemming from King William IV's mistress: Enid Agnes Maud Levita.
- Cameron was caught taking Cannabis 6 weeks before his O-Level exams and was made to pay a fine as well as facing a ban from leaving school grounds.
- Deputy Prime Minister
- Lord President of the Council
- Liberal Democrat MP for Sheffield Hallam since 2007
- Privately educated at Caldicott School in Farnham Royal, South Buckinhamshire and Westminster school in Central London.
- Father is Nicholas Peter Clegg, chariman of United Trust Bank who was heavily involved ( a trustee) in the Daiwa Anglo-Japanese Foundation (devoted to bringing Japan and the Britain).
- Mother is Dutch: Hermance van den Wall Bake and was interned by the Japanese military in Batavia.
- Studied Archaeology and Anthropology at Robinson College.
- Studied for a year at the University of Minnesota
- Clegg speaks 5 languages fluently: English, Dutch, German, French and Spanish
- He was arrested for setting fire to as he is quoted to say "the leading collection of cacti in Germany".
- Worked as an intern for Christopher Hitchens as a fact-checker
- First Secretary of State
- Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Conservative MP for Richmond since 1989.
- Mother and father ran a soft drinks manufacturing business
- Educated at the state grammar school: Wath-upon-Dearne Grammar School
- First from Magdalen College, Oxford in Philosophy, Politics and Economics
- Studied a "Master of Business Administration" degree at INSEAD (a business school)
- Was leader of the conservative party between June 1997 and September 2001
- William Hague, although serving leader of the Conservatives for four years, never became Prime Minister, making him the first person to have done this since the 1920's (Austen Chamberlain).
- Whilst President of the Oxford University Conservative Association (OUCA) Hague was convicted of electoral malpractice (including ballto box stuffing).
- Chancellor of the Exchequer
- Conservative MP for Tatton since 2001
- Fathers is Sir Peter Osborne, 17th Baronet
- Mother was a Labour voter and worked for Amnesty International
- Privately educated at Norland Place School in Holland Park and St Paul's School in Barnes
- 2:1 in Modern History from Magdalen College, Oxford University
- Chief Secretary to the Treasury
- Liberal Democrat MP for Inverness, Nairn, Badenoch & Strathspey
- Born in Edinburgh
- Father was a firefighter, potter and deputy pier master
- Educated at the comprehensive Lochaber High school
- Philosophy, Politics, Economics from St Ann'es College, Oxford
- Secretary of State for the Home Department
- Conservative MP for Maidenhead
- Father was a Church of England clergyman
- Educated at both state and independent schools
- BA in Geography from St Hugh's College, Oxford University.
- Secretary of State for Defence
- Conservative MP for Runnymede and Weybridge
- Born in Epping, Essex
- Father was a civil engineer
- State educated
- Philosophy, Politics, Economics from University College, Oxford
Dr. Vince Cable
- Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills
- President of the Board of Trade
- Liberal Democrat MP for Twickenham since 1997
- Born in York
- Grammar school educated
- Degree in economics from Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge
Iain Duncan Smith
- Secretary of State for Work and Pensions
- Conservative MP for Chingfood and Woodford Green since 1997
- Born in Edinburgh, Scotland
- Father was a Group Captain in the British Royal Airforce
- Mother was Pamela Summers, a ballerina
- Comprehensively educated up until age 14 and then at a merchant navy training school
- 1 year at the University for Foreigners Perugia, Italy
- Attended the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst
- Born in London
- Grew up in Buckinhamshire
- Educated at the Royal Grammar School, High Wycombe
- BA in History from Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge
- Worked as a producer in the BBC for 2 years 1986-1988 and then again as a business development manager on BBC Select.
- Worked as an editor for Channel 4's Business Daily programme.
- Before becoming a Conservative politician, Grayling was a member of the Social Democratic Party.