Choosing Health for the Planet and Therefore Humans
What to do?! What to do?!
What an amazing planet we live on. It is full of life. The diversity of plants and animals is wondrous. Beauty abounds in every nook and cranny. From the vast oceans to the dew drop on a blade of grass, it is breathtaking. The health of this awesome world is imperative for sustaining our lives.
We are bombarded with ads that tell us how to make our lives better by purchasing what "they" have to sel. We are told that their prodects are more efficient, do it faster, require less work, make your more beautiful, they are necessary for happiness, everyone has one, it is better than others, etc. They are feeding us words and scenes that coerce us to buy more often that is at the expense of the health of the ecology in which we live. There are many excuses we use:
- there is no other way to fix my clogged drain
- I am only going to use the toxic weed killer once
- gas-powered lawnmowers are more time efficient
- I can't afford to buy local or organic
- everybody else does it
- it is my right to do it the way I want
- there are too many things I would have to change.
We need to stop justifying the destruction of the eco-system that has sustained us. We must think of healthier alternatives. The time is now and each of us can do our part.
Start to Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
This does not mean you need to go out and purchase a Prius or keep away from all packaged and processed foods. Make intentional choices that do not aid in the destruction of the natural environment in which we thrive. There are many simple things you can do:
- buy local
- recycle more
- let your lawn go dormant
- use goats instead of gas-powered lawnmowers
- lower the amount of packaged products you purchase
- cook from scratch which is often better for your health anyway
- bike or walk to destinations again can promote a more well-toned body
- plant trees
- stop drinking bottled water
- filter your tap water
- buy reusable bags for all your purchases
- when you buy from an espresso stand, bring your own container
- brew your own
- refill your ink cartridges instead of buying new ones
- use an electric razor instead of purchasing disposables
- cloth diapers
- use less
- be aware
Each step that you take to change can aid in protecting wildlife, biodiversity, air quality, clean water and so much more. Please take the time to learn what is needed and then take the steps to promote a healthy Earth. It is the only planet we have.
Stop Following the Crowd; Make Choices For the Future
The next time you walk into a store: STOP! Look around! Take a deep breath! Change your focus! See all the manufactured things all around you. Think of the animals, the people and the resources it took to make and transport what is around you. Be aware! Buy eco-friendly cleaner, bring your own bags, ask to borrow something instead of buying it and purchase locally. Every little bit helps and every choice you make matters.
Alex Steffen Sees a Sustainable Future-ted.com
- Alex Steffen sees a sustainable future | Video on TED.com
TED Talks Worldchanging.com founder Alex Steffen argues that reducing humanity’s ecological footprint is incredibly vital now, as the western consumer lifestyle spreads to developing countries.