- Politics and Social Issues
Crazy State Laws
Crazy Indiana State Laws
Most states have crazy, dumb state laws. We've all heard some of them. Since I hail from Indiana, I will start with crazy Indiana state laws. Believe it or not, this is not a comprehensive list. I think 20 is enough for today...
1. Waitresses may not carry drinks into a restaurant or bar. They can carry them around the restaurant/bar. They can carry them out of the restaurant/bar. They just can't carry them into the restaurant/bar. Unfortunate for you if you sit outside, and they bring you the wrong drink. They can't take it back inside!
2. Hotel sheets must be exactly 99 inches long and 81 inches wide. Seriously? Does it matter that the beds in a hotel may not be the same size? Does this size conform to a queen, king, or a double bed? Weird. You know you're going to measure the sheets next time you're at a hotel :)
3. If any person has a puppet show, wire dancing or tumbling act in the state of Indiana and receives money for it, they will be fined $3 under the Act to Prevent Certain Immoral Practices. This actually might not be a bad law, although they should be probably adjust the fine according to inflation. I've been to some Indiana puppet shows and can attest that they would have fallen under the Immoral Practices Act...
4. Anyone 14 or older who profanely curses, damns or swears by the name of God, Jesus Christ or the Holy Ghost, shall be fined $1-$3 for each offense, with a maximum fine of $10 per day. If they collected these fines, this would solve the national debt.
5. A $3 fine per pack will be imposed on anyone playing cards in Indiana under the Act for the Prevention of Gaming. Really? Again, solution to the national debt right here.
6. The value of Pi is 3. Indiana has the ability to set worldwide mathematical standards. This law alone explains why I suck at math.
7. It is illegal for a man to be sexually aroused in public. Amen!
8. One may not sniff glue. Although no fine will be imposed for said sniffing. I'd hate to see the punishment for all those 4-5 year olds who sniff their Elmer's Glue every time they get it out.
9. A person must get a referral from a licensed physician if he or she wishes to see a hypnotist unless the desired procedure is to quit smoking or lose weight. I would think that one should need a referral from a physician if they want to see the hypnotist for the two reasons that they don't need a referral. We're a little confused in Indiana.
10. Baths may not be taken between the months of October and March. We have a good-sized Amish population that might account for this rule.
11. It is illegal to sell cars on Sunday. I actually don't mind this rule.
12. Oral sex is illegal. We'll leave that one alone...
13. A man over the age of 18 may be arrested for statutory rape if the passenger in his car is not wearing her socks and shoes, and is under the age of 17. Perhaps a little overboard, but overall not a bad law. I think automatic arrest is a little too much, but it certainly might garner a little investigation.
14. It is against the law to pass a horse on the street. Again, Amish population, so yes we still have horses on the street.
15. It is illegal for a liquor store to sell cold soft drinks. Again, I don't have an issue with this law, and, in fact, think it's not a bad idea.
16. Liquor stores may not sell milk.
17. Grocery stores may not sell any type of cold liquor. Warm liquor, yes, but no cold liquor.
18. You can get out of paying for a dependant's medical care by praying for him/her. Prayer helps! Perhaps if you prayed, they wouldn't need medical care.
19. One man may not back into a parking spot because it prevents police officers from seeing the license plate. Reasonable request.
20. Smoking in the state legislature building is banned, except when the legislature is in session. What was the thought process behind this one?
Crazy California State Laws
Since I currently live in California, I'll throw in the crazy California state laws at no extra charge!
1. Sunshine is guaranteed to the masses. They obviously don't enforce this law in the winter. Who gets punished when the sunshine is not available? Do they fine the sun?
2. Animals are banned from mating publicly within 1,500 feet of a tavern, school, or place of worship. Really, no one wants to see that anyway.
3. Bathhouses are against the law. Strange...
4. It is a misdemeanor to shoot at any kind of game from a moving vehicle, unless the target is a whale. Well that's good, because I drive past a whale every single day, and I'm never sure if I can shoot it or not!
5. Women may not drive in a house coat. That's unfortunate. This contributes to California's obsession with needing to be completely made-up before you even go to your mailbox!
6. No vehicle without a driver may exceed 60 miles per hour. This is good news for the rest of us on the road!