Critical Thinking in the Context of Modernization of Public Consciousness
To understand the topic, it is necessary to understand what critical thinking is ...
Let's refer to Wikipedia: “Critical thinking is the ability of person to question the incoming information .The transition to a critical level of thinking is a necessary prerequisite to begin civilized development of the community”.
Bertrand Russell, British Philosopher, Logician, Mathematician.
- Do not feel absolutely certain of anything.
- Do not think it worthwhile to proceed by concealing evidence, for the evidence is sure to come to light.
- Never try to discourage thinking, for you are sure to succeed.
- When you meet with opposition, even if it should be from your husband or your children, endeavor to overcome it by argument and not by authority, for a victory dependent upon authority is unreal and illusory.
- Have no respect for the authority of others, for there are always contrary authorities to be found.
- Do not use power to suppress opinions you think pernicious, for if you do the opinions will suppress you.
- Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric.
- Find more pleasure in intelligent dissent than in passive agreement, for if you value intelligence as you should, the former implies a deeper agreement than the latter.
- Be scrupulously truthful even if the truth is inconvenient, for it is more inconvenient when you try to conceal it.
- Do not feel envious of the happiness of those who live in a fool’s paradise, for only a fool will think that it is happiness.
10 commandments of Bertrand Russell
If we look at the 10 commandments of the critical thinking of Bertrand Russell, a British scientist, we see that they are based on conscious self-analysis, aspirations for knowledge, justice of judgment, self-development and courage to express oneself ... All these commandments help development at the individual level. Everyone knows that family is a unit of society. A highly educated individual with critical thinking can become an important unit of society and contribute to its development.
Course towards the future: modernization of Kazakhstan’s identity
The Article of the Head of State of the Republic of Kazakhstan, “Course towards the future: modernization of Kazakhstan’s identity” gives the key points of modernizing public consciousness and national strategy with the agenda for the coming years (competitiveness, pragmatism, cultural knowledge).
How do we understand the modernization of public consciousness?
It is necessary to take into account various aspects: history, culture, traditions and customs of the nation, geopolitics and spiritual heritage. Due to modern world progress in various directions, such as science and technology, political and economic relations, international relations and others, rapid changes are taking place in many aspects of the life of different societies and states. I think, in the process of interaction of all phenomena in the arena of the world, this is the inevitable evolutionary cycle of the whole world, when such changes affect the lives of thousand people.
Modernization of public consciousness should be implemented with the preservation of all important foundations of national identity, as well as the adaptation of innovations in different sectors. And here, it is important to use critical thinking at the level of the individual, society and the country. It can be considered as a kind of dilemma, where on the one hand it is necessary to preserve all national traditions and customs, native language, national heritage and spiritual culture (legacy of Abay and Dzhambul, the books of Auezov, the music of Kurmangazy). On the other hand, adapt effective modern innovations using critical thinking: rational analysis, constructive criticism, competitiveness, pragmatism, openness of consciousness to the new and willingness to adopt the best world practices.
In concrete terms, measures of modernization of public consciousness using critical thinking, in my opinion, could include the exchange of experience and cooperation with advanced countries in various fields (science and technology, medicine and education, culture and sport, industry and manufacturing, etc.); analysis of the best foreign trends in order to create analogues in our country and adapt them to a local requirements; domestic public awareness raising; youth education and the ideology of the spirit of patriotism; participation of country at international events. Current programs such as «Мәдени мұра», «Халық тарих толқынында», “Болашак” and “Digital Kazakhstan”, trilingual program, cultural and religious harmony, and other projects are an effective examples.
Critical thinking in the context of the modernization of public consciousness, I think, begins at the level of each individual, the cell of society and the country ...
- The 10 Commandments of Critical Thinking According to Bertrand Russell
In 1951, Bertrand Russell invoked this list of his 10 Commandments of Critical Thinking, which to this day still hold their own.