Dumb Political Quotes Quiz
Many of today's politicians and public figures don't always know when to keep their mouths shut. They start talking and pretty soon, they say something stupid or illogical or even contemptuous. Unless they are reading a speech or have a script memorized, there's a good chance they will say something -- even a mistakenly made-up word -- and it will come back to haunt them.
Recent national elections are the prime arena for misspoken quotes. Take former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin. Many times, she butchered the English language or mixed up her facts just enough for people to take notice, such as during her 2008 vice presidential campaign when she talked about standing "with our North Korean allies."
Those elected to the White House are especially predisposed to verbal gaffes. Former Vice President Dan Quayle is a legend in his own right for sticking his foot in his mouth. For instance, back in 1992, he embarrassed himself on national television when he had a Trenton, New Jersey, sixth-grader correct him on the spelling of "potato." Seems the ex-VP really wanted to end the word with an "e." Other Dan Quayle blunders include:
- "What a terrible thing to have lost one's mind. Or not to have a mind at all. How true that is."
- "For NASA, space is still a high priority. "
- "I love California, I practically grew up in Phoenix."
Former President George W. Bush, Quayle's left-hand man, is another prime example of a politician who needs to stop and think before he speaks. The Texan's blunders were so monumental that Saturday Night Live televised many skits about the them. Some of his top verbal mishaps -- also called "Bushisms" include:
- "I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully."
- "They misunderestimated me."
- "Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB-GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across this country."
- ''You teach a child to read, and he or her will be able to pass a literacy test.''
Now that you get the idea of just how easy it is to say something you really shouldn't, name the politician or public figure who came down with a terrible case of foot-in-mouth disease with these quotes.