Effects of Good and Poor Nutrition on the Health and Well-being of Family Members and the Community
"A family that keeps healthy together, lives happily together." This saying emphasizes the vital role of nutrition in keeping an individual, a family and a community healthy.
The nutritional level of an individual is the end result of interacting and interrelated forces in the community. These include the social, cultural, political, technological and economic environment in the community. Factors related to the food system, health and feeding practices, employment, and income basically affect a person's nutritional status at the community and household levels. Thus, the nutritional status of the community relates to the quality of health and productivity of the people.
Nutrition is the foundation of good health. Therefore the food you eat today plays a major part in shaping your destiny tomorrow as a person, as a family and as a community.
Some effects of good nutrition on the health and well-being of family members and the community are:
* can withstand stresses of the environment;
* can enjoy a fuller and satisfying life;
* freedom from diseases and pains;
* happiness, strong sense of security and affection
(is built within family members and the community);
* can enjoy better health for years.
Some effects of poor nutrition are:
* family members become susceptible to infectious diseases;
* adults are not able to work or to perform well in their jobs;
* young and adults alike lack initiative and sustained purpose;
* mortality rate especially of children ages 1 to 4 is high;
* excesses and imbalances of nutrients may cause major health problems;
* can cause a major disruption in the life of an entire community.