- Politics and Social Issues»
- Environment & Green Issues
Environmental Destruction - One of Seven New Mortal Sins
Seven Newly Named Sins
In the 21st Century, the Catholic Church has added additional official mortal or deadly sins to match the lifestyle of the global economy.
A proverb in many families states that to waste is to sin. Many of us remember having heard this from our mothers when we would not eat some sort of unappetizing food set before us at the dinner table. These, we have seven additional mortal sins announced by the Catholic church and waste is among them.
The number seven is a magic number in many societies, including Western Society. This magic translates into a mystical representation of good and evil in sets of seven.
The Seven Deadly Sins that have been recognized by the Catholic Church up to the 21st century, including Pride, Envy, Gluttony, Greed, Lust, Wrath, and Sloth. Gluttony and greed are part of some of the new sins, as we will see later.
Destruction of Humans and the Earth
Msgr. Gianfranco Girotti is the leader of the Vatican group known as the Apostolic Penitentiary, which is a watchdog group concerned with such aspects of the faith as sin, rules, and doctrine.
Officially, the church recognizes 14 deadly sins. Girotti named seven new mortal sins, for a total of 14, the first one being:
- Ruining the environment.
The Seven New Mortal Sins
Polluting the environment
Experimenting on humans with DNA manipulation
Genetic modification of food
Hoarding excessive wealth
Producing social injustice
Using and selling illegal drugs
More Than Seven Sins
The venal sins, on the other hand, are larger in number than the mortal sins, but supposedly lesser in magnitude. Are they really more benign and less serious?
Some individuals, some religious denominations, and even entire faith communities globally believe that sin is sin, that any and all sin is equal in its immorality, whether it be lying, impure thoughts, or murder.
This is for each individual to decide independently, but us waste as bad as murder? Many think that it is exactly as evil, because waste murders the environment. A dead environment will kill us all.
In the 21st century, the Catholic church has added additional, recognized deadly sins to match the lifestyle created by a global economy.
Waste: The "TrashPatch" Plastic Continent
Interestingly, one or two of the new sins named have to do with nature and the respect shown to Earth and the universe by indigenous peoples around our planet and across the seven seas.
These sins including the new plastic continent of discarded bags and other plastic refuse that has collected in the Pacific Ocean.
The "throwaway society" is a concept originally taught in the 1970s after Earth Day became part of American traditions. Disposables and objects made with a plan to wear out quickly to need frequent replacement began to lead to ever increasing piles of trash at home and at work.
Thin plastic bags have become a nightmare to the environment. We now have continents of plastic.
The "TrashPatch" phenomenon approaches a continent in size. The video above speaks of a project to raise the awareness of plastic debris, especially in the North Pacific Gyre (Reference: urbandesignlab.columbia.edu/ Retrieved September 5, 2008).
Grime Belts in China and USA
Coal mining all over the world is not a clean activity. Members of my family died of black lung disease with cancer resulting from coal mining as well. China supports massive coal mines and suffers associated massive pollution.
Cancer Corridors in Canada and USA
Oil tar sands and their dirty refining processes have caused the need for several Cancer Corridor Hospitals in Alberta Province, Canada. Tar sands that flow through the Keystone XL Pipeline (the Black Snake) are expected to leak into the water supply of the US States involved, greatly increasing the cancer risk to people living there.
Other oil pipelines in the area have already leaked. Cancer risk is higher there and other oil areas like Galveston, than in non-oil regions of the USA.
A Black Snake Runs Through It
Tom Leher's "Pollution"
The new sins can be categorized as waste, weather, and genetics.
- Space Trash - debris dumped by space vehicles and space stations into the atmosphere; and particulates in the atmosphere from spacecraft as they they burn up on re-entry.
- Wastefulness and creating too much trash; failure to recycle.
- Wealth: Amassing excessive wealth (and its power) can lead to waste and cause poverty and social injustice. Huge wealth is available through the sale of illegal drugs, and even legal drugs.
Environmental Advice for Today
- From Many Hubbers: How to Live Green
Please enjoy reading and using these methods of protecting the environment.
- Weather manipulation, especially that which could increase chemicals in the atmosphere
- Any stem cell research on embryos. Any stem cell research except that where the genetic matter comes itself from the patient being treated.
- Cloning (Note: we eat cloned corn already, since the 1980s).
- Gene splicing.
- Genetically modified foods (GMOs).
- Genetic warfare within chemical warfare methods.
- Leading animals and plants to extinction.
- Planning a "Super Race." Possibly discovering genetic manipulation possible in outer space that is not possible under gravitational forces, and misuse of same.
© 2008 Patty Inglish