Extreme Conservative Beliefs?
Recently, the media have often reported on Conservatives and their beliefs as "extreme" right wing. When repeated enough, the people are lulled into this false narrative. In this hub, I would like to explore how extreme are Conservative beliefs? Please help me by taking the polls at the end. Thanks.
Some Common Conservative Beliefs
- Follow the Constitution of the US
- A balanced budget (minimum debt)
- A strong national defense (peace through strength...Reagan)
- A limited federal government (federalism)
- A secured border (legal immigration)
- Energy independence (support for all forms of domestic energy production)
- A local public education system (with choices including vouchers and charter schools)
- A color blind justice system (MLK judge by the content of character...)
- Self reliance (less government dependency)
- Traditional family value
- Pro life (defend the defenseless)
- Right to bear arms (2nd amendment)
- A free enterprise economy (not crony capitalism)
- A belief in God
- The Constitution is the foundation for our country. Our elected officials have forgotten the document that should be the framework for governing. They pledge an oath to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution and yet they seem to ignore it.
- The main part of government is to be accountable with the revenues. Our current national debt is over 18 trillion dollars. We have spent more than we take in year after year. It is just irresponsible to burden our children and their children with this debt.
- A strong national defense is the best way to peace. Our past leaders understood that. For millennials, you may not have known President Kennedy or Reagan, one Democrat and one Republican, both faced challenges from the Soviet Union during the cold war. Their leadership lead to the downfall of the Soviet Union in 1989.
- Limited Federal Government is a conservative principle because it is part of the Constitution. The tenth Amendment limits the Federal government's role and left most to be carried out at the State and local level.
- We are a nation of immigrants and a melting pot of many races and culture. However, a nation is defined by its borders and language. We have a generous legal immigration policy though the implementation could be drastically improved. We need to improve the legal immigration process and stop the illegal immigrants crossing our borders. It is wrong to have a two tier status for our immigrants (legal and undocumented). They are open to abuse and exploitation by the criminal elements.
- Our country's progress depends on having available energy. Conservatives believe that we need to work towards energy independence by pursuing an all forms of energy including solar, wind, nuclear, oil, gas and coal. Let the market decide the best most efficient energy sources.
- Our public education system is broken and Conservatives belief in trying a different approach. The teacher's union have dominated the debate and won't allow any changes to help improve the situation. We can begin by adopting charter schools in some inner cities. The local community is best at determining the course of action for their schools.
8. Our justice system should be color blind. Conservatives agree with Martin Luther King who says a person should be judged by the content of his character instead of the color of his skin. Equal treatment under the law is another tenet of our Constitution.
9. Conservatives believe in having a safety net to help the disabled and the down trodden but we want people to rely on their own skills and hard work to get ahead. We don't want to encourage an entitlement society that grows larger year after year. Dependency should be a last choice. It was John F. Kennedy that said " ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country..."
10. One of the three pillars of our society is the family unit. For thousand of years, it is the family that has kept us together as a civilization and the propagation of our culture and heritage. Today, the basic family unit is under attack on all sides. Is it any wonder that we are experiencing social and economic problems that are self inflicted? When you have a high rate of unwed mothers especially in the black community, how can they succeed?
11. Our Declaration of Independence includes the following "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness..." Can a fetus in the womb be denied these rights? What about late term abortions? at what stage of pregnancy is the fetus viable? The actions of Planned Parenthood as exposed by the latest hidden videos demonstrate what happens when life is devalued by some and the organs of fetus be treated like a tissue to be harvested and sold for profit.
12. The right of the people to bear arms is the only insurance policy against a potential tyrannical and over reaching government. Additional gun laws will not deter criminals of getting them.
13. A free enterprise system of commerce is the best path to prosperity. However, that does not include government bailouts of wall street. It is the crony capitalism that are practiced by our current political elites and tycoons that are destroying Capitalism. We need to level the playing field for all so that no one group can benefit because of their political clout. That is the legitimate function of government.
14. A believe in a higher power "a creator" is also the basic tenet of the founding of our nation. It is this higher power that we derive the unalienable rights from. Our rights to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness is given to us from God. That is what differentiate us from all other nations at the time.
What is Extreme?
The definition of extreme is "the furthest from the center or a given point; outermost."
However, the perception of being extreme is dependent on where you sit.
What if I told you that the list of positions above was held, for the most part, by John F. Kennedy, the 35th President of the United States.
Does the adjective Conservative change your impression or opinion of these issues? Should it?
Why is it you hardly hear from the media "extreme liberal beliefs" or extreme left wing?
Extreme Left -----Left-----Moderate------Right------Extreme Right
Where do you sit on this scale?
As I said in the introduction, the media have paint a narrative that Conservative beliefs are extreme even though they make up 40% of the population. Are they telling the truth or are they trying to influence public opinion? Please take the poll and submit comments on any of the issues I cited. As a Conservative, I believe many of our beliefs are just rooted in common sense. They are not exclusionary or discriminatory. They are policies that have been tested and have worked. I would like to know what changed?
Next time you pick up the newspaper or watch the news on TV or listen on your radio or read an article off the internet, pay attention to their wording. How they phrase the story will expose their bias. Thanks for reading.
Some Of My Other Related Hubs
- Reworking America in 2015
A new direction for America-from a Conservative.
- American Civics 101
A basic primer on Civics every American should learn.
- Conservative Principles Defined
My definition of what a Conservative believes.
- A Guide For Millennials
A hubbook that contains some of my recent hubs relating to millennials.