Global Warming-A Threat
Climate Change: Causes, Effects & Key Solutions
An unusual rise in climate temperature is considered as Global Warming. Due to digitalization and technological advancement, earth climate got new weather patterns. If we talk about earth, it's climate system receive all energy from the sun. This system also throw our energy to outer space. The incoming and outgoing energy should be balanced which determines earth's energy budget. If incoming energy get greater than outgoing energy, the climate budget is positive. When more energy goes out as compare to incoming energy, the earth budget get negative and earth experiences cooling. These energies create earth's weather. Average of long term weather is climate. Any change in climate is referred as climate change.
Natural calamities and human activities cause climate change. This climate changes are shown by temperature measurements. Various gases like carbondioxide, ozone, nitrous oxide, methane etc. are responsible for global warming. It get measured by accessing the variation of patterns of temperature, humidity, atmospheric pressure, wind, atmospheric particle count and other metrological variables in some specific area over a long time.
Other planets in our solar system are either extremely hot or very cold. Planet earth has stable temperature so human life exists. Earth is consistently attacked by huge amount of radiation, primarily from the sun. These radiations strike the atmosphere of earth in the form of visible light ultraviolet and infrared and few other type of radiation that are invisible to human eyes. About 70-75% of these radiations are absorbed by the oceans, land and atmosphere. As oceans, land and atmosphere heats up, they passes out the radiation back in the space. This incoming and outgoing radiation has balance which makes earth habitat. The trafficking of incoming and outgoing radiation that heats up the earth is called Greenhouse Effect.
Causes & Effects
Digitalization and industrial revolution increase carbondioxide levels in atmosphere. Increased levels of incoming and outgoing radiations and exposure of gases cause significant climate change. It is the key factor of global warming. Greenhouse gases are carbondioxide, methane, nitrous oxide and water vapor. Human sources emissions like waste disposal, power stations, industrial processes, transportation fuels, agricultural byproducts, fossil fuel retrieval, processing and distribution increased the level of these gases.
- Carbon Dioxide: The level of carbon dioxide has risen by more than 42% since 1958 when scientists first started to record it's level. The main cause of rise in this level is human activities like industrial and technological emissions. Use of coal to produce electricity, use and burning of oil to power vehicles and aircrafts or cut and burn wood for cooking or to produce heat etc. change the level of carbon dioxide in atmosphere. Other than this, erosion of plants causes the increased level. Plants and trees absorb gases like carbon dioxide via photosynthesis. This converts carbon get stored within the plants. When we cut trees and burn forests, this stored carbon get released into atmosphere in the in form of carbon dioxide and become a carbon dioxide source.
- Methane & Nitro Oxide: Methane has a powerful effect though has a short lifespan. Methane get generated when organic matter break down and sometimes when ruminant animals digest their food. Resources decomposition like animal waste, sewerage, etc. are sources of methane. In any industry, where oil and gas extraction takes place, methane get produced. Nitrous oxide is produced basically by use of fertilizers. Industrial revolution has given a rise to it's level by 20%.
- Water Vapor: Water is an integral essential for all living beings and plantation. It get cycled from one state of another. It is the most inexhaustible of all the greenhouse gases. Humans are not directly responsible in producing water vapor however other emissions make atmosphere warm which consequently produce water vapor in the atmosphere.
- Population Increase: With the increase of population, activities to acquire food and other basic needs will also increase. This population increase directly impact methane gas levels. Also, deforestation to get space for home and industries give rise to carbon dioxide level.
Global warming occurs with both natural and human factors. Human force is largely responsible for global warming which is giving threatening results.
- Warmer Oceans: Oceans absorb 20 times more heat than the atmosphere. There is huge rise in ocean temperature and they are multiple times more warmer now.
- Ozone Exhaustion: The ozone layer protects earth atmosphere from harmful UVB wavelengths of ultraviolet light. These wavelengths are cause of skin cancer, sunburn and cataracts. Industrial production is primarily responsible for ozone exhaustion.
- Increase In Sea Levels: Rise in sea levels is the result of melting ice sheets in Antarctica and Greenland as researched by scientists. Countries like Maldives existence is in danger because of rise in sea levels. People who are living in coastal states of America are sufferers of global warming. Melting ice, sinking land, slowing Gulf stream all factors contribute to rise of sea level. Thermal expansion is the main cause of rise in sea levels.
Human activities changing the natural greenhouse. When gases like CO2, methane, chlorofluorocarbons are adding to earth's atmosphere, they are turning the earth warmer. As the gases level increases, the more warmth get added to atmosphere. Climate change include not only warmer earth, however rise sea levels and warmer oceans too. This warming is unusual. The key factor is human putting excessive carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. Human made pollution like exudation from vehicles and from industries lead to temperature rise, either by trapping heat or high energy which get translated into heat. Among natural factors, a volcanic discharge can have sharp cooling effect as it eructs small particles into stratosphere (the atmosphere layer above troposphere where weather takes place).
The effects of climate change can be evaluated. It is proved by National Academics of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine in 2016. As the human activities are the main factor of this climate change, we can take steps to reduce this drastic climate change. Gases like carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide, if produced less, can reduce this climate change to an extent. These gases, most likely, get produced by strong radiations and emissions from usage of smart/android phones, 4G and 5G technologies, burning of oil & fossil fuels in factories. If we minimize the use of these, climate change can be controlled.
- Spread Awareness: We should spread awareness about this climate change. We can talk and forward ideas among our friends, family members and colleagues to make good decisions. With the help of NGOs, we can organize seminars in schools and colleges so that children can take initiatives and be innovative.
- Natural Energy Usage: We can use natural energy like solar energy in our homes and offices too. If at large extent, it's not possible, we can take small steps of utilizing solar electricity mediums at our home to generate energy.
- Weatherproofing: Usage of heaters and air conditioners consume lot of home energy. Homes can be made spacious and with adequate insulation.
- Water Waste Reduction: Wastage of water should be completely stopped. Turn off taps, watersense appliances when not in use, take short showers will lead to water waste reduction.
- Improved Transportation: Transportation emissions has increased a lot. Usage of low carbon fuels, with more efficient mass transportation system will certainly reduce the level of gases in atmosphere.
- Agriculture & Forestation: Green plants & trees make balance of gas level present in atmosphere. Through sustainable agriculture and growth of more plants will terrifically impact the climate change.
- Sustainable Technology & Development: Energy sources like bacteria and algae can be harnessed. Usage of nuclear power should have barriers.
Consistent rise of gas levels in atmosphere increasing the heat of earth which causes climate change. This heating of earth affects aquatic life and human life both. Prevention steps like forestation, reduced use of harmful chemicals, usage of solar energy can certainly reduce the harmful effects of global warming. Government and individuals should take steps collaboratively. We should unitedly come forward to save our beautiful planet Earth for the exitence human life.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2019 Preeti