Gun Control: Pros and Cons
Gun Control Debate
Do You Own One?
Do you own a firearm?
- Gun Control: What is The Answer?
Gun control is a sensitive topic and it's hard to know a definitive answer as how to handle it. Different views are discussed in this article along with pictures, you tube videos and commentary.
- September 11: Never Forgotten
This article is about September 11, 2001. The Twin Towers were destroyed and many lives were lost but the memories of these men and women will live on forever. Pictures, polls, maps, you tube videos and commentary are listed in this blog. Americans p
- Gun Control: The Debate Rages On
This hub focuses on the debate in the United States about Gun Control. Pictures, you tube videos, a poll and commentary are listed in this article as well as other facts about this issue.
- America's Best Presidents in History
This article is about the top Presidents in the history of the United States of America. Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton and Franklin Roosevelt are highlighted here along with you tube videos, pictures, polls, maps and commentary.
- How To Counter Act Rising Gas Prices
This article describes some of the ways for dealing with high gasoline prices. Car pooling, riding a bicycle, buying a four cylinder car and boycotting oil prices are featured in this energy hub.
Pros and Cons of Controlling Guns
1. Potentially less school shootings: You think it stands to reason, if there are no guns on the street, it would be harder for children to get their hands on a gun. In turn, that will lead to less school shootings and robberies, etc. The second amendment right allows us to own guns. So far, I do not know if there have been less school shootings but, there are talks in place to maybe change some of the laws. It is especially important to ensure the safest environment possible where children are present. This is a place where children come to learn and they should feel safe at their learning environment. Whenever there are school shootings, we always worry about copycat shootings.
2. Accidental Shootings: If guns are outlawed there will be far less guns in circulation but, far less accidental shootings will occur. There are way too many accidental gun killings every year. The cops are the ones at the present time making the news for killing unarmed, innocent people. Children also make the new from time to time, they will pull the trigger thinking the gun was empty.
3. Second Amendment of the Constitution: This amendment gives all Americans the right to bear arms. Not following this amendment is against the law plain and simple. Depending on the type of gun you are getting, some guns will require you to go through a short waiting period before you can take it home.
4. Placing an armed guard in the schools: I know that this one is going to strike a nerve. It is true however, that students should feel more safe at school. It's a good idea to have metal detectors installed and to keep certain doors locked from the outside. I am in my late 30s and was scared to death of school. I guess, I was afraid my mom or dad would not pick me up for whatever reason. So, an armed guard would really scare me at that age.
5. Protection: If guns were to be outlawed, criminals would still have high-tech guns while regular "Joes" had to fear for their lives and the lives of their families without any defense. That is a good argument that isl legitimate today. The same thing for the description for number four.
1. Banning Firearms: The Second Amendment of the Constitution, allows for all citizens to carry a gun. If a gun ban is passed this will be an infringement on those second amendment rights.
2. Increased Crime Rate: If the criminal world knows that American Citizens do not possess guns, more residents and businesses will be robbed because they do possess weapons.
3. Hunt & Skeet Shoot: It is unfair to deprive hunters their right to hunt and shooters their right to practice shooting targets for entertainment and sport.
4. Place an armed guard at schools: One con that I can think of real quick is the fact that students may feel nervous as to seeing an armed guard each day. Aren't they just there to learn?
5. Takes Away Jobs: There are over 130,000 licensed firearms dealers in the U.S. Gun stores, pawn shops and collectors shops all sell guns. If you are taking away guns you are taking away thousands upon thousands of jobs from American Citizens.
Other Alternatives for Gun Safety
1. Childproof firearms: Having safely locks put on your handguns and rifles will keep children and teens from accidentally firing them off. It would be a shame to lose a child or have them accidentally shoot their friend or their friend shoot them because guns were not put in a secure location.
2. Stricter Laws: Instead of trying to ban American citizens from having guns at all, we should just enforce the rules that we have in place now. That would curb at least some of the gun violence that we see taking place every single day.
1. There are more than 320 million guns in The United States not including, the different branches of the Military.
2. There are 562,696 shotgun issued certificates that were registered in 2012.
3. In 2011, the U.S. had over eight thousand deaths caused by firearms.
4. America accounts for 40% of firearms in the world.
5. Murders involving firearms have decreased by 50% in the last fifteen years.
6. The odd of being a victim of a shooting is less than that being struck by lightning.
7. Only nine states have safety trigger lock laws.
8. In the United States you can't walk within one thousand feet of a school with a firearm.
9. An estimated 45% of all American homes have at least one handgun.
10. 82% of all gun owners in America support criminal background checks for anyone making gun purchases.
11. There are more than eight million people that have permits to carry a gun.
Obviously guns should not be banned, as American Citizens would have no defense or protection from the criminals who have them. However, I do believe that enforcing the current laws and putting child safety locks on guns, is a major step in the right direction. Also, the idea of putting armed guards at schools is at least a thought to contemplate. The point that I would also like to make are the senseless deaths of children when guns are not stored properly.
I have read many articles on this subject and like most all of them say, this topic has no black and white or cut and dry answers. It is a hot topic for debate right now. This topic will surely be one the minds of everyone for years to come. It's without a doubt a tough call on some of these issues facing America.
* Please share your thoughts on this touchy subject by leaving comments in the box at the bottom of this article.
Gun Control Debate
Gun Control on Amazon
© 2013 Buster Johnson