Gun Control Solutions in America
Mass Shootings, Guns, Mental Health
Since 2000 or so, there have many mass shootings in various places across the USA. The maximum deaths caused by these domestic terrorists filled with vile racist thoughts or just mentally retarded shooters, is not more than 2000, one study shows. Yet, in the same time frame, some 200,000 people committed suicide by gun! Think about these statistics that are fact. Guns do not cause death, anymore than an ice pick would, but it is the availability of getting a gun. Statistics also bear out that there are way more known guns in the USA than people. Even the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that the right to own a gun is NOT absolute, that is, conditions can be imposed on the 2nd Amendment with regards to this seemingly absolute right.
The NRA has and always will support guns for all and will oppose efforts to curtail gun control. Guns alone do not cause death because many that do own them without incident. But, that does not mean they could become a person who kills depending on their mental state.
- Mandatory stringent background checks across all 50 states
- Waiting periods after a sale of 15 days or until BG check is done
- Outlaw all automatic or semi-automatic guns
- Outlaw all guns with magazine capacities exceeding five rounds
- Forbid any gun sale to a person with any record of mental health issues or violence (battery, assaults, TRO violations, domestic violence)
- Forbid any gun sale with known racist or hate tendencies evidenced from social media posts, witnesses, mental health officials
The above steps are good initial conditions to keep guns in the hands of responsible owners. But let's face it, even these will not prevent one from buying a black market gun or get rid of the guns already in the USA and in the wrong hands. Dealing with those guns already available and out there is an impossible measure unless you outlaw gun ownership, which will never happen. Even the above will not prevent a normal person from buying a gun who seems normal with no records, yet one day, he snaps over a stupid issue, takes out his legally own gun and kills.
The gun issue in the USA is like "the cat is already out of the bag" and you cannot fix the issue in retrograde. One can only hope to control and minimize gun control from the date measures are imposed. That's it. Real gun control in the USA has long passed with so many guns in America without draconian measures and the elimination of the 2nd Amendment.