- Politics and Social Issues»
- Environment & Green Issues
How to Help Protect and Save the Earth
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children - Ancient Native American Proverb
One person may not be able to change the environment all by themself. But, if a lot of people make small changes in their daily life, this can make a big difference to the planet as a whole. Below is a list of things you can do to help protect and save the Earth.
Reduce. Reuse. Recycle.
- If you are trying to choose between two products, pick the one with the least packaging.
- If something can be repaired, repair it instead of buying a new one.
- Use durable products like plates, cups, silverware, and cloth napkins instead of buying paper products that are thrown away after one use.
- When buying new, purchase products made of recycled materials.
- Recycle everything you can. Most products can be recycled, either by setting them out with your recycling or my composting them.
Unplug When Not In Use
Unplug any appliances when not in use.
- Turn off the water while brushing your teeth.
- Take quick showers.
- Wash only full loads of dishes and/ or laundry.
- Repair leaky faucets.
- Sweep outdoor walkways and driveways instead of using a hose to clean them.
Leave you car at home.
Travel by foot, bike, carpool, or mass transit whenever you can.
Reducing the amount of solid waste you produce means less in landfills.
Make Your Home More Energy Efficient
Change your light bulbs to Compact Fluorescent light bulbs (CFL's).
Clean your air filters so your system doesn't have to work harder.
Use a programmable thermostat.
Turn off the lights and appliances when you are not using them.
Maintain your Car
Keep the tires inflated. Underinflated tires decrease fuel economy by up to 3%.
Protect the Ocean
Don't dump anything into the ocean or waters.
Collect rainwater to use around your house. You could use it to wash your car or water your grass when it is dry instead of turning on the sprinkler.
Purchase Energy Star Appliances
If your applicances go out and they have to be replaced, purchase Energy Star appliances. These appliances can save you up to 30% in energy cost and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
If you need to buy a car, purchase a smaller more fuel efficient car.
Eliminate Toxic Cleaners
Store bought cleaners are handy but most of them are toxic and bad for the environment. Vinegar and baking soda work wonders cleaning the house. They actually work better on some jobs than the store bought cleaners. For instance, I heated up a cup of vinegar in my microwave and the mess in my microwave wiped right out with minimal effort.
Pass ideas about protecting the Earth on to your friends. Explain to them why it is important. We are responsible for protecting the earth for future generations. And, let your government representatives know how you feel. Sierra Club and Green Peace are always working on causes that you can participate in by writing or calling your members of congress. The links to the Green Peace and Sierra Club Action Sites are below.
- Greenpeace | Greenpeace
Greenpeace is the leading independent campaigning organization that uses peaceful direct action and creative communication to expose global environmental problems and to promote solutions that are essential to a green and peaceful future.
- Sierra Club Home Page: Explore, Enjoy and Protect the Planet
From clean air and water to the climate crisis, environmental champions fought and won in 2012. Share the story.