How to Protect Yourself From Kidnapping
Kidnapping: All You Need to Know...
Kidnapping is a trend that is fast on the rise. Worst still, is the fact that most cases of kidnapping are carried out by people familiar to the victim and only a small percentage of these acts are perpetrated by strangers in what is known as stranger abduction.
Recently, about 176 persons, mostly students, were kidnapped in Cameroon. Luckily, these persons were able to secure their release after the terms of their kidnapping were successful met.
Most victims of kidnapping are however, not as lucky as a few go on to meet gruesome fate such as severe torture, rape and even death. Some victims still lose their lives even after the ransom condition to secure their release is met.
In April 14, 2014, 276 female students were kidnapped from Government Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State, Nigeria and sadly, 112 of these girls remain missing till dat
Facts on Child Kidnapping...
Children who go missing or are kidnapped should be found within three hours, as an estimated 76% of children get murdered within three hours of being kidnapped.
Has someone close to you ever been kidnapped?
Here are Some Other Facts About Kidnapping You Should Know
1. Kidnapping is quite common in countries that have a high crime and corruption rate with a porous or not-too-effective executive and judicial arms of government.
2. Countries with the highest rate of kidnapping in the world include Mexico, Iraq, Columbia, India, Brazil, South Africa, Nigeria, Pakistan, Tanzania, and Philippines.
3. Most kidnapping (over 71%) take place in the open or in outside areas like parks, streets, and the woods.
4. Child kidnapping or abduction is very real and children who get kidnapped should be found within three hours as over 76% of kidnapped children not found after that time get murdered.
5. Female children often get kidnapped more often than males as over two third of the former are victims of kidnapping.
6. While we're used to just one type of kidnapping, there are actually three types:
- Stranger Kidnapping (where a stranger kidnaps a person and demands a ransom).
- Parental Kidnapping (where a parent kidnaps a child , usually done to prevent the other parent from having access to theatchild. From research, it is reported that 53% of parental kidnapping is carried out by the father and 25% by the mother of the child).
- Stolen Child (where a person kidnaps a child with the intention of raising the child as theirs).
7. Besides children, men (grooms specifically) are kidnapped by the family of the bride in a bid to avoid the exorbitant bride price usually required of the bride's family. This is a practice that is quite common in certain parts of India.
8. No one is safe from being kidnapped as in 2008, Felix Batista, a renowned anti-kidnapping expert, was kidnapped on his way to give a speech on how to avoid getting kidnapped.
9. In Tanzania, Mozambique, and Malawi, albinos are becoming an endangered specie as these people get kidnapped and killed with their body parts harvested as it is believed these parts bring about good luck and prosperity/wealth when made into portions.
There are a few reasons why a person might turn to kidnapping and some of these include:
4. Wrong Religious Beliefs
Why People Turn to Kidnapping...
Unemployment and poverty are two of the most common reasons why people turn to kidnapping.
How to Protect Yourself from Kidnapping
Here are a few ways to protect yourself and your family from kidnapping:
1. Keep a reasonably low profile on social media platforms. Choosing to advertise yourself and your financial status on these platforms might be courting trouble. Don't post pictures of yourself or your family on an expensive outing, vacation, or any other event that depicts an expensive lifestyle as you don't know who might be watching.
2. Do not use a car sticker that advertises where you work, especially if your job is an enviable one.
3. Never leave bank alerts on your phone as you never can tell who will see these. To keep safe, memorize your account balance and delete the alerts as soon as they are read.
4. While jogging is a great way to keep fit, try not to go when it's dark and also avoid lonely paths. If you must go, go with company.
5. Take off your ID card as you exit your office building. No one outside needs to know where you work.
6. Always let someone know where you are at all times.
7. Don't try to impress anyone at a function. If making a donation, do so with some discretion.
8. Don't share pictures of your kids in their school uniform on social media. No one needs to know where your kids are at every given point in time as this information in the wrong hands could cost you.
9. Do not go to an ATM after dark. If you must, go to one that isn't secluded and also go with company. Too many stranger kidnapping as well as robberies have taken place at lonely ATMs.
10. If going out cash gift, be discreet and use an envelope. No one needs to know you're giving out that huge amount of money.
11. Switch up your routine every once in a while as kidnappers rely on this daily routine to stage kidnappings.
12. Never be in too much of a hurry that you accept lifts from strangers, even that seemingly friendly looking stranger.
13. Always keep your doors locked, even if only stepping to the next building. It takes just five minutes for a kidnapper to get into your home and the rest is history.
14. Sensitize your kids about kidnapping and let them know the dangers present in talking to strangers.
15. Ensure your little kids are protected always. If not following the school bus from school, ensure you pick them up immediately after school hours. If you're going to be late, call ahead so they know to wait for you.
If unable to, let the school know someone else will be picking them up in your absence.
16. Always move about with a defence weapon, especially if going out alone. Arm yourself with a pepper spray or a stun gun as you never know just when you might need these to protect yourself against kidnapping.
17. If you're a relative to an albino and leave in a region known for albino brutally, ensure you keep these kids safe and surrounded at all times.
18. Report all cases of a missing person immediately (within 24 hours) so a search can be embarked on immediately.
Would you feel comfortable carrying a pepper spray or stun gun?
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2019 Farrah Young