ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel
  • »
  • Politics and Social Issues»
  • North America Political & Social Issues

I Have No Idea Why Americans Are In Afghanistan + Never Heard of 9/11

Updated on September 9, 2011

Unless you are an educated Afghan (30% are), the remaining 70% are illiterate and when asked about foreign troops in their country or about 9/11 in NYC in 2001, most have no clue to either. Some Afghans have never even heard of the NYC attack. Even the teachers in many schools only have a vague understanding that "something happened" in a far away land. Of course, educated Afghans do know the significance to both but they are in a minority. Of the 70% who barely have electricity, many think America did it to themselves as a ploy to invade Afghanistan as part of some colonial conquest for Afghanistan's riches (which are what exactly?).Thus, buy into the Taliban reasoning as the reason to fight and kill Americans and it is hard mindset to dispel. In two provinces where the US surge sent the most US troops, of the men polled, 92% they had no clue about the 9\11 event. It is hard to win the hearts and minds if the Aghans don't even understand why America is there. Most think America is out to destroy Islam. Even among the educated, many think the attacks were a Jewish conspiracy and wanted a pretext to invade Afghanistan. Worse, many do not believe that al-Qaeda had anything to do with the attacks. Among those in the university there, nearly all of them are aware of the 9\11 event and why America is there and most think a civil war will return when America leaves. It is what happened when the Soviets left.

It is no wonder that the American adventure in this desolate, worthless country has been a waste of billions of dollars over 10 years. They thought this in 2001 and they still think the same way!


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    • Saleemayoub profile image

      Saleemayoub 6 years ago

      You have raised basic questions that do not take much to answer.But then what is left for politicians to say or do??

    • perrya profile image

      perrya 6 years ago

      @chris- guess not, but that is very old book.

    • CHRIS57 profile image

      CHRIS57 6 years ago from Northern Germany

      Very good hub. I am impressed.

      Did you read James Micheners: Caravans? Was published in 1963.

      Apparently nobody from Brezhnevs Soviet Union to the George W. administration ever read that book.

    • perrya profile image

      perrya 6 years ago

      Thanks to all the comments! It is tragic in every sense of the word.

    • FGual profile image

      FGual 6 years ago from USA

      You are a wise writer who writes well. What the hell have we accomplished with the loss of life, limb, and bucks in this medieval faraway land. What exactly are we there to accomplish? Civilize the illiterates and teach them to value their females, and maybe, just maybe, they will like us just a little? An entire decade of despair.

    • asmaiftikhar profile image

      asmaiftikhar 6 years ago from Pakistan

      useful and thought provoking hub.voted up

    • PETER LUMETTA profile image

      PETER LUMETTA 6 years ago from KENAI, ALAKSA

      Another joke played on the American people as well as the Afghan people. The cost of war is to make money for the Big guys, When will we learn? Thanks for the sober look,


    • moiragallaga profile image

      Moira Garcia Gallaga 6 years ago from Lisbon, Portugal

      Perrya, this is a challenge the world over when dealing with security threats in developing countries where poverty rates are high and many people in the rural areas lack proper education and awareness of the world beyond their communities. This is fertile breeding ground for recruitment to the cause. This is the battleground for "hearts and minds."

      Mao Tse Tung in his treatise on guerilla warfare stressed the value of being able to immerse with the rural populace. He likens their minds as a blank slate or an empty blackboard. Whoever gets there first gets to write the content on that blank slate. That is why successful guerilla movements placed a lot of emphasis on indoctrination and propaganda work in the villages with armed struggle a secondary matter until sufficient forces have been recruited and properly indoctrinated. Terrorists use this strategy too, and anti-terrorism efforts should take this into account.

      You hit the nail on the head there. In a situation like that, killing off the terrorists does not address the problem. More will just grow in their place if the narratives and propaganda used by terrorist recruiters to fill "blank slates" is not countered by a similar effort.