Term Limits are Possible
There is a way.....
Most of us are discouraged, disgusted, and fed up with our politicians who just can't seem to get anything accomplished other than collecting their salaries and benefits. This is nothing new, it has been going on for many administrations with no change in sight.
We keep hearing of Term Limits being the obvious solution to this problem. The problem is it is the very politicians who would lose their jobs that would need to impose Term Limits that would put them out of a job. I seriously doubt they would view Term Limits very favorably.
Now picture a bumper sticker on the car you are following down the road that says "If you're in, you're out!"
You wonder what that means and then it dawns on you. It means we citizens with the right to vote can impose Term Limits anytime we want to.
These elected positions were never intended to be a lifetime career. They were intended to be filled by citizens with something to offer volunteering a few years of their life for the good of the country. They serve us for one term, then go back to their normal life.
By the time a politician has served two terms in office, they owe so many favors they have lost their objectivity. Campaigns are expensive and they willingly took campaign contributions with strings attached. They are no longer able to serve the citizens of this country because they have been bought and paid for by campaign contributors and lobbyists.
1. Corruption would be greatly reduced. Lobbyists and large corporations would not be as interested in donating money to an individual who would only be around for a relatively short time.
2. Senility would not affect the decision making process of a much younger representative who has not spent the majority of his or her life sitting in a chair in Congress.
3. Fresh ideas and a willingness to work for the common good of the people would be more prevalent.
4. The agony we endure watching the political smear ads on TV for an entire year would at least be reduced.
5. New representatives without years of built up resentment would be more willing to reach across the aisle and work with compromise to actually resolve problems.
1. I can't think of any, could it be any worse?
This change would require a complete change of thinking on the part of we voters. We would no longer pay attention to the "D" or "R" in front of the candidates name. OK, if you just can't bring yourself to forget the "D" or "R", at least vote for the new guy in your party.
Our red flag would be the length of time any candidate has been warming the chair. After two terms in office they are no longer effective and need to go home.
The point of this hub is to make everyone aware that we do have the power to invoke Term Limits if we will just use it at the voting booth. Your right to vote is a precious thing, don't waste it out of misguided loyalty to someone who is not doing the job we pay them to do.