How To Reduce Electricity Bills~ Useful Tips To Save Power And Keep The Earth Green!
Other useful hub by Chitrangada Sharan
- Safety Tips At Home, On Roads, Internet Safety, Recr...
In the fast paced, stressful life today, when each one is in hurry to compete/complete his/her job, how about giving some thought to the basic safety needs at home, on roads, to our kids and elderly!
How To Reduce Your Electricity Bills And Keep The Earth Green!
© Chitrangada Sharan June 2014,
All Rights Reserved.
- Once upon a time, there were no Air conditioners, no Geysers, no Room Heaters.
- Once upon a time there were no Refrigerators, Microwave Ovens and other many Electrical appliances.
- Once upon a time, there were no Computers, Mobile phones, Electronic gadgets.
- Once upon a time there were no AC cars.
- But the people in those times were healthier, because the environment was pure, healthy, fresh, green and non polluted.
- We all are aware about the harmful effects these electrical and electronic appliances can have on the environment.
But does that mean that we should stop using them?
NOT AT ALL!
In fact we are so much dependent on all these appliances, that we can not think of life without them. I feel that even our resistance or tolerance has also decreased.
The other day, I had a discussion with a senior officer of the Electricity company, who is also an electrical engineer about how to reduce the high electricity bills. Here are some of the highlights, I want to share with all of you.
Simple Tips To Not Only Reduce Your Electricity Bills, But Also To Keep The Earth Greener!
1. Check the energy rating of electric appliances before purchasing them:
Energy efficient appliances consumes significantly less electricity, as compared to older and more conventional models.
The good news is that most of the companies are making varieties of such appliances. You can check the labels, when you go to buy them.
In India, Air Conditioners, Refrigerators etc. have efficiency rating labels printed on the appliances and they range from 1 to 5.stars.
The higher the rating that is the stars, the more money you save and contribute towards a healthier environment.
2. Cool roofs reduce air conditioning costs to a great extent:
Painting the roofs white or lining the roof with white tiles on residential as well as commercial buildings can reduce costs of air conditioning bills as much as 20 to 25%.
Along with this the places. where the Air conditioner is not installed also are cooler and more comfortable, during scorching heat.
Reduced roof temperature means increased roof life.
3. Place your Refrigerator away from Sunlight and walls:
Make sure that your refrigerator is placed away from any heat source, including direct Sunlight.
Allow enough space around the refrigerator for continuous airflow. If the heat ca not escape, the cooling system will have to work much harder, therefore using more energy.
4. Switch to LED bulbs:
LED lighting is 8 times more energy efficient than an incandescent bulb and twice as energy efficient as a CFL, compact fluorescent lamps.
80% of the energy consumed by an ordinary bulb goes into generating heat rather than light.
The average life span of a LED bulb is around 50,000 hours as compared to 8,000-10,000 hours for a CFL and around 1,200 hours for an incandescent bulb.
Note: (All this information has been gathered by the local Electricity company at Delhi.)
5. Switch off your appliances, when you are not using them:
Putting your appliances on 'stand by' mode does not stop the usage of electricity. Your meter will continue to record consumption until the main switch is turned off.
We have this habit of using the remote for TV, for Air conditioners. This keeps the appliances on a 'stand by' mode and a huge loss of electricity.
Switch off your computers, when you are not using them. Because even if it is in the 'sleep' mode, it is consuming electricity.
A Laptop consumes less electricity as compared to a Desktop computer.
Inkjet printers consume less electricity as compared to Laser printers.
6. Use Sun control films on windows to further reduce air conditioning costs:
Sun control films insulate homes, offices and other spaces from solar radiation and Ultra violet exposure that bring undue heat.
These films reduce power needs and also protect humans from the ill effects of the UV rays.
These films help to save energy by rejecting substantial amount of heat.
7. Conserving energy, while using Microwave ovens:
You can save a lot of cooking energy costs by using a microwave oven rather than a regular oven.
To reduce cooking time, you can soak the vegetables etc, in hot water before placing them in Microwave oven.
Place larger and solid items towards the outside edge of the dish, because microwaves cook from the outer to the center of the dish.
8. Plants reduce air conditioning costs:
Lining the windows and walls with plants helps to reduce energy consumption.
Plants insulate the rooms from heat, which helps your air conditioner to do less work to do.
9. Prevent 'earth leakages':
An 'earth leakage' not only leads to electricity wastage but it can also lead to shocks, which may be fatal for human life.
There are devices to detect even the smallest leakages in your homes. This system automatically trips and disconnects the electricity supply to the equipment in your home.
Such devices also detect faulty internal wiring. On detection, this Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker, ELCB, immediately trips.
This prevents wastage of energy/ electricity and a possible accident. However, a qualified electrician must check the internal wiring if such a situation occurs.
10. Using Solar energy:
Solar energy goes a long way to reduce our over dependence on fossil fuels.
Solar energy is a renewable energy, which can decrease pollution levels, reduce your electricity bills and make the environment cleaner and healthy.
Solar water heaters, Solar cookers are readily available and using them will help to reduce burden on your pockets and on mother earth, by saving energy.
Honestly, do you switch off your appliances, when not in use?
- Besides the above mentioned tips, we can adopt some natural ways too, such as closing the doors and windows before the Sun becomes too hot.
- Allow fresh air in homes in the the mornings and evenings.
- Planting more and more trees in and around our homes. Cutting of trees unceremoniously should be avoided.
- An earth day is celebrated in most parts of the country to save energy, when everyone switches off lights in the peak consumption hours.
- Following these simple tips not only reduces your electricity bills and you save your money. It also helps to reduce the pollution that is emitted from these non renewable sources of energy.
- This will help to keep the earth greener and each one of us should realize the urgency and importance this has for mankind.
- If all of us do our bit the earth will be healthy and pollution free in the same way as it was earlier.
Note: Watch the useful video at the end!
© Chitrangada Sharan 10th June, 2014,
All Rights Reserved.
PROTECTED: PLEASE DO NOT COPY!
The cheapest way to savemoney on your electric bill, source: You tube
How to seal windows for winter and summer, source: You tube
Other useful hubs by Chitrangada Sharan
- The Humble Trees: What Would They Speak If They Coul...
How much attention do we pay to the trees, when we are walking past them! Have we ever wondered what they will speak, if they could. Would it surprise us if they said, 'The Man' is their bitter enemy!
- How Smart Phones Have Changed Lives: 10 Electronic ...
Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, Face Time, emails, mobile camera, your favorite music-all this and many more! The world seems to have shrunk in your palms in the form of Smart Phones! Can we turn back!
- Old Cellphone: How To Recycle Old Mobile Phone In 'D...
Help to keep the Earth green by dropping your old Cell phone in a 'Drop box'. You will help to keep the Environment safe by helping in Recycling process. Electronic wastes contains harmful components!
© 2014 Chitrangada Sharan