Senator Lindsey Graham: The Light in a Dark World
Our political culture and government processes have become dark places of partisanship and bickering. Those from each side of the aisle form groups and never allow their minds to meet. We desire good policy and clean politics, yet we vote for and encourage the slimy stuff we see. In the darkness we call Washington political culture there is a light: South Carolina Senator Lindsey Graham (bio | voting record).
Sen. Graham is a unique conservative because he always attempts to work with colleagues; Democrat or Republican. He always tries to find a way to advocate effectively for his ideas and will work out compromises that allow both sides to have a stake in the making of good policy.
Photo Source: Senate Republican Conference
The Top Five Reasons Lindsey Graham Is The Best United States Senator
- Sen. Graham is realistic in his approach to governing.
- Sen. Graham seeks solutions to what ails this country. He takes a common-sense conservative approach and attempts to forge bipartisan solutions.
- Sen. Graham has served this country honorably for his entire adult life, both as a military officer and a civilian.
- Sen. Graham is a strong supporter of the military.
- Sen. Graham has served the state of South Carolina well.
What Makes Lindsey Stand Out?
What you see is what you get. There is nothing fake about him. He is the same on the Senate floor or on television as he is at church or the golf course.
You always know where he stands. He doesn't change his position based on the group to which he is talking. You may not agree with him 100% of the time on every issues, but at least he will be upfront about his opinion. One of the reasons he has been so effective in the Senate is that fellow Senators find him easy to work with and honest.
He is a good communicator. Weather it is the Rotary Club, a group of experts on hydrogen fuel cell technology, a classroom of students, a constituent in need of help, a national news program, or the floor of the U.S. Senate, he can relate to many types of people and communicate in a way that is understood.
- The State newspaper recently referred to him as "the best U.S. Senator our state has had in decades. (The State, 6-24-2006).
- A political columnist wrote that Lindsey is "acquiring a reputation for candor, thoughtfulness, independence, and hard work...It doesn't take much digging to find that Sen. Graham is a public servant with an ethical compass. That's admirable." (Tim Funk, The Charlotte Observer, 4-23-2006).
- Time magazine recently named him one of the 10 "Up and Comers." He's effective, pushing through a bill last year to expand health care for the guard and reserve. But his strength is stepping up to a big moral issue, like how far we should go in the war on terrorism, and making his voice heard." (Time Magazine, 4-17-2006).
Rankings and Ratings
- Lindsey Graham is a conservative who is willing to speak his mind. He scored a 96 rating last year from the American Conservative Union, the gold standard of conservative congressional ratings. His lifetime rating of 91 is higher than the two highest ranking republicans in the Senate.
- He is ranked the #1 most powerful member for those elected in 2002.
- Sen. Graham was recently awarded the Friend of the Taxpayer award from the National Taxpayers union with his 85% ranking.
The Graham Record
Representing South Carolina's Conservative Values
Representing South Carolina's Conservative Values
Senator Lindsey Graham is a conservative, independent voice who is willing to tackle tough issues.
Top Story: Senator Graham receives "Taxpayer's Friend Award"
Senator Graham receives "Taxpayer's Friend Award"
The National Taxpayers Union (NTU) has awarded Senator Lindsey Graham one of its 2007 ‘Taxpayers’ Friend Award.’ The award was presented to Senators who achieved an ‘A’ grade in NTU’s annual Rating of Congress.
- True leaders don't run 'job scared'
With friends like each other, do Lindsey Graham and John McCain need political enemies in this state? With so many politicians who pander, don't we need more, like Graham and McCain, who don't? Over the last two years, lots of right-leaning South C
Lindsey Graham Discusses Detainee Treatment at the Millenium Seminar
- Lindsey Graham - U.S. Senate
- U.S. Senator Lindsey Graham for South Carolina
Official Senate Website
- Senate Republican Confernece :: Senators : Senator Lindsey Graham
Site with audio, video, and files related to Sen. Graham's Senate Activity.
- NRSC: Lindsey Graham
Senator Lindsey Graham is an example of a true citizen legislator, currently serving in the U.S. Air Force Reserves. Lindsey is a strong advocate in the senate for adequate funding for the military, to insure that our nations young men and women have
Lindsey Graham's Realism
By David S. Broder
The Washington Post
16 September 2007
Now that the president has endorsed the Petraeus-Crocker plan for Iraq, it is worth noting one exchange from their Senate hearings.
Some senators, such as Barbara Boxer of California, were so self-absorbed they could not manage to ask a single question in their allotted time, even when they had Gen. David Petraeus and Ambassador Ryan Crocker ready to provide answers.
Lindsey Graham of South Carolina is not like that. An Air Force Reserve officer, Graham is an incisive questioner whose unexpected and provocative inquiries often produce revealing answers, whether the subject is Iraq, immigration or a Supreme Court nomination.
CapNews Video of Lindsey Graham
Quick, what do you think of Lindsey Graham?
Share your stories, sightings, thoughts, rants, raves...