Mike Brown: The Evidence
Mike Brown died needlessly
I have tried to stay above the Mike Brown fray. First, I knew that no grand jury would ever indict Darren Wilson, no matter what the evidence showed and secondly, it just weighs on me ever time an unarmed black males is shot by police. However, after reading this article by one of my fellow bloggers, that purports to be be the truth, I had to respond.
Kansas University student, Shelby Lawson, did a great job in this piece dissecting the grand jury decisions and the myths surrounding the Brown Case. Here are a few highlights:
- Officer Wilson is no small guy. He is 6'4" and 210 lbs (198). He's smaller than Brown, but his description of feeling like he was grabbing on to the hulk is a little exaggerated.
- Mike Brown was stopped for walking in the street. The officer did not stop him for cigarillos or anything else.
- Wilson shot Brown twice in the head, after shooting him four times in the torso and arms. Is it possible that Mike Brown bent over because he was injured?
- Ferguson police did not interview a main witness at the scene of the shooting.
- There were no crime scene photos.
- Wilson was allowed to go to the station and wash up.
- His gun was not fingerprinted.
- Wilson's story changed three times.
- Six separate witness told the same story and were never interviewed by the police.
- Wilson fired two shots in his car and said that Brown was attacking him but there was no gunshot residue on Brown.
- The store owner was not concerned about the cigars and did not call 911.
- They even disputed it was Brown on the tape.
- Michael Brown was 148 ft. from Wilson, not 35 ft.
- The Department that Wilson worked for before was disbanded because of racial profiling.
- Even, conservative Supreme Court Justice, Antonin Scalia, believes the grand jury was wrong.
Brown was 18-years-old. The Juvenile court reported that he had never been convicted of anything serious. He was not a thug. Wilson shot at Brown twice in his car. Brown ran from him and according to witness and video immediately after the incident, he had his hands up He was shot four times in his torso and two times in his head. How could he charge Darren Wilson. However, this was never just about Mike Brown. This is about the countless other young minority men who have been shot under suspicious circumstances by the police. Brown was just the straw that broke the camel's back.