- Politics and Social Issues
8 Steps to Take Action Against Genetically Modified Organisms in Food: No More GMOs
Why Take Action Against GMOs
Genetically modified organisms (GMOs) in food products, also known as genetically modified (GM) or genetically engineered (GE) foods, are everywhere!
- The dangers of eating genetically modified foods, such as corn or soy, have been published in scientific studies around the world.
- You are unknowingly eating GMOs. Food products are not labeled to tell you that the ingredients have been genetically modified.
- Long-term safety testing has not been done to show that altering the DNA of a plant with DNA from humans, insects or viruses (among other sources) is safe.
- Many government officials that claim that GMOs are safe for us to eat are former employees and/or are invested in those corporations that supply the world with genetically modified seeds and the chemicals that treat those crops (i.e. Monsanto).
- Our children are the first generation to grow up eating genetically modified foods.
- Nearly 50 countries have already stood up to demand labeling of GM foods and have succeeded.
TO BE or NOT TO BE a Guinea Pig
There are certainly some people that don't feel that the evidence linking GMOs to disease and death in animals in scientific research is significant. Those people can continue eating GMOs if they would like to.
But if we don't want to be guinea pigs in this uncontrolled GMO experiment, then as consumers, we need to take action. The good news is there are a few simple steps we can take to make change happen.
Copyright © 2015 Melis Ann
- Sign this Petition from JUSTLABELIT.ORG
National campaign in the United States to require genetically modified ingredients in food to be labeled as such.
Step 1: Tell FDA to Label GMOs
As consumers, we have the right to know what we are eating. As individuals, we have the right to make choices. Labeling genetically modified products would let everyone take their vote on the issue: those that feel comfortable being the guinea pigs, and those that don't. Give your unique opinion in the comments section.
Step 2: Vote With Your Wallet
It's estimated that if about 5% of U.S. consumers decide to buy non-GMO foods, this would be enough to tip the scales and show the food industry that non-GMO products are in real demand.
Find out how to choose non-GMO foods.
- App Store - GMO Busters
Purchase the GMO Busters app. Have fun playing this Angry Birds style game while proceeds benefit CA food safety.
Step 3: Make A Fun Financial Contribution
Download this Angry Bird style game called GMO Busters. Proceeds go to help ensure the safety of food for California families and children. This is a first step in getting legislation approved across the U.S.
- Send letters to suppliers, grocery stores and restaurants you use.
Use this link for resources to use to write to suppliers, grocery stores and restaurants.
Step 4: Send Letters
Click on the following website for links to form letters you can use explaining the GMO issue to suppliers, grocery stores and restaurants.
- Tipping Point Network
Join Tipping Point Network, part of the Institute for Responsible Technology.
Step 5: Join Tipping Point Network
Join at the following link as a non-GMO shopper, a financial contributor or as an advocate. They provide resources and training to get involved in your community.
Step 6: Keep Up To Date With GMO News
Keep yourself updated on genetically modified food issues by signing up for newsletters.
At the bottom of this page, Like it on Facebook and you will get updates in your News Feed.
GMWatch is an independent non-profit making organization founded in 1998. We seek to counter the enormous corporate political power and propaganda of the biotech industry.
- Natural health news
Step 7: Sign More Petitions
- Stop Feeding Our Babies Genetically Engineered Infant Formula and Baby Food - The Petition Site
Our children are being exposed to possibly dangerous side effects of genetically modified organisms.
- Millions Against Monsanto Campaign - Take Action
Sign the Organic Consumers Association's petition for Truth-in-Labeling.
- Tell Obama We Want Meaningful GMO Labeling
- Tell Organic Baby Food Brands to Stop Using GMOs!
- Stop USDA's Plans for Monsanto to Police Itself!
- Success - Consumers' Right to Know About GMOs
- Stop Agent Orange Corn!
- Tell Obama, Congress & the USDA to Dump Monsanto's Failed Drought Resistant Corn!
- Alert: Stop Frankenfish!
Tell Obama and the FDA not to allow genetic engineering of salmon.
Visit Change.org and search GMO to find a whole host of current GMO petitions that need signing. Even start your own.
Step 8: Share This Information
Share this article with everyone you know. Like it or Tweet it at the top of the article or forward the link by email. Each person can make a difference and the more people know, the better chance we have at change.
Other Articles on GMOs
Refer to these other articles for more on GMOs.
- What Genetically Modified Foods Do to Our Bodies: Say No to GMOs
Understand what the scientific community is reporting about the effects of eating genetically modified foods.
- How Do I Avoid Eating GMOs?
Helpful hints and resources to use when shopping for foods that are free from genetically modified ingredients.
- What You Need To Know About Corn: Healthy Popcorn and GMOs
Understand how to choose corn products that are more healthy and how to make healthier popcorn at home.
What Else Can We Do?
The Campaign for Healthier Eating provides a book written by Jeffrey Smith called Seeds of Deception. The book describes the situation and all the steps to take to avoid GMOs.
Disclaimer: Note that this website portrays my opinion. I want to help others consider a new or different view. Any action taken based on these opinions is the responsibility of the reader.
Copyright © 2015 Melis Ann
Original content written by Melis Ann published only on HubPages at the following web address: http://melisann.hubpages.com/hub/No-More-GMOs-Take-Action
Take Action Now!
If every consumer took a few simple steps to avoid Genetically modified organisms (GMOs) in food products, we would be supporting companies and products that use quality ingredients and support quality agriculture. Consumer power would also send a strong message to businesses that insist on selling sub-quality food products. The dangers of eating GMOs are being discovered, the depths of which are yet to be understood. While using our powers as consumers we can also make our voices heard with letters and petitions. Each of us can help make a change.