- Politics and Social Issues
The Debt Ceiling Crisis is Over; Back to Jobs and John Boehner's Chutzpa is STILL Unbelievable - You Gota Love It 
APPARENTLY, PRIOR to the release of July's employment statistics, John Boehner released the following statement on his website: "Today's unemployment report is more proof that all of the Washington spending, taxing, and regulating is devastating our economy. While the American people are asking 'where are the jobs?' the Democrats running Washington are determined to punish small businesses with higher taxes and more red tape – including hundreds of new regulations last month alone – and to keep their spending binge going at all costs. Instead of more jobs, they're creating more fear, more uncertainty, and more debt."
Blantantly lying to the public, with a smile on your face, is a sure sign of a strong Social Dominator orientation.
- Unemployment dropped in July to 9.1% from 9.2%; it is now down to 8.6% for Nov 2011
- He throws a toally unsupportable number out there, to wit: hundreds of regulations in June alone, without defining what those regulations were ... what if they were all to prevent airplane accidents.
- President Obama has lowered taxes on small businesses, not raised them. Republican proposals, stopped by Democrats, would have raised taxes on all but the wealthy, and that can be proved, unlike his claims
- Much of the increase in the national debt came from two sources, which he, being the good Social Dominator that he is, neglects to mention, the carry-over from President Bush's failed administration and President Obama's successful attempt to prevent this country from sliding into a Depression. Other than that, Democrats have done thier damndest to cut spending in a RESPONSIBLE way that doesn't drive America back into a Recession, which the Conservatives seem hell-bent on doing,
- Boehner also fails to admit that he is a proponent of taking money from the poor and middle class in order to give it to the wealthy, who don't need it, which is what has happened since the 1970s, rather than the other way around.
What Do The Polls Say
I STARTED THIS HUB in July, it is now Dec. Where I got the following poll statistics is beyond me, at the moment, hopefully I saved the source somewhere. Nevertheless, they are interesting seemed pertinant to Speaker Boehner's comment at the time.
The survey was a comparison of how people felt now (July 2011) and a few years ago. Here are some of the findings:
1. To the question of "How much better off are than a year ago", only 3% said Much Better while 43% thought they were doing Worse Off to one degree or another. What is interesting, however, only 30% of those making more that $75,000/yr thought they were worse off. That means, of course, that more than 43% of those making less than $75K thought they were worse off, why is that if the Democrats are taking so much money from the rich and giving it to the poor?
If we look at how people feel in the range around About the Same as last year, the number is 88%, with the bias leaning toward slightly worse off.
12% of respondents thought they were Much Worse Off.
2. For the question, "Looking toward next year, do you feel you will be doing ...". 8% said Much Better, not very high and lower than in 2009.
However, like the previous question, 88% of the respondents thought things were remain nearly the same, but was biased this time toward being Slightly Better, which the way it was in 2009. In the Much Worse column, the results dropped to 4%, down from 2009.
So, looking toward the future, there is a glimmer of hope in the populous. But, today, the rest of the results tell the story.
3. "Compared to 3 years ago (2007), are you spending [More] or [Less] on vacations and travel?"
More - 8%, Less - 51%, Same - 41%. The Same result surprised me, I thought it would lower and the Less higher.
4. "Compared to 3 years ago, are you spending [More] or [Less] on clothes"
More - 6%, Less - 61%, Same - 33%
5. "Over the past 3 years, have you been shifting your money toward more growth oriented investments such as stocks?"
Yes - 18%, No - 82%
6."Over the past three years, have you been spending more time looking for special deals or discounts before you make purchases?"
More Time - 85%, Less Time - 15% (Note - no difference between rich and poor)
7."Compared to three years ago, how much are you spending now on dining out?"
More - 5%, Less - 63%, Same - 32% (Note - only 57% of affluent households are spending less)
8. "Compared to three years ago, how much are you spending now on groceries and food to eat at home?"
More - 23%, Less - 24%, Same 54%
10. "In the long run, do you think your children will be better off than you? Worse off?"
Better Off - 30%, Same - 19%, Worse Off - 34%, Don't Know - 17% (Pessimism has clearly sunk in. Two years ago, 42% of respondents thought their children would be Better Off. )
Has Anybody Noticed ...
... THAT THERE IS NOTHING ORIGINAL in the Tea Party/Conservative message anymore? I don't mean that they come up with new philosophies to espouse to differentiate themselves from the Democrats but they have nothing new to support their fundamental beliefs.
Since I have been alive and can remember, the mantra has been the same with very little supporting facts; Democrats are the Tax and Spend and Over-regulate party, and more recently, the Tax and Spend and Regulate party. The Conservatives keep making these claims, like the good Social Dominators and Right-wing Authoritarian followers that they are in the face of the following:
- It was Democrat Roosevelt that engineered the way out of the greatest depression in American history
- It was Democrat Roosevelt who shepherded in a tough set of financial regulations that protected America until they were nullified by Conservatives which resulted in the great Conservative Recession of 2008
- It was the Democrat Truman who initiated the first tax decrease after WW II until the Korean War forced him to reverse coarse.
- It was the Democrat Kennedy who passed the first substantial tax decrease after a tepid one from Eisenhower right after the Korean War was over.
- It was the Democrat Kennedy who had the first balanced budget in who knows how long in 1960, building off some austerity measures Republican Eisenhower was forced into from a runaway debt.
- It was the Democrat Kennedy, then Johnson who presided over the longest sustained period of growth throughout ALL economic sectors of the economy, not just the wealthy, in American history to that time.
- It was Democrat Clinton who presided over what became the longest period of economic growth in American history that benefited all economic sectors of society.
- It was Democrat Obama who stopped, in the face of relentless criticism by John Boehner and the rest of the Conservatives, America from falling into a depression worse than one in 1929
- It was the Conservative agenda which led to a century of panics, depressions, and deep recessions from around 1820 through 1929
- It was Conservative Reagan who created the largest deficit that America had ever seen up until 2000, which led to the recession around 1990.
- It was Conservative George W. Bush who presided over the Conservative government who engineered the Great Recession of 2008.
- Since the end of the Korean War, nine recessions began in Republican/Conservative administrations and one, all of six months long, began in the Carter administration.
- Since the end of the Korean War, taxes were lowered on all tax payers four times, three Republican and one Democrat, and once, Republican, for the wealthy only.
- Since the end of the Korean War, taxes were raised on all tax payers, once, Republican; non-wealthy only, once, Republican; wealthy only, twice, one Republican and one Democrat.
With that kind of record, I don't where the Conservative get off calling the Democrats the Tax and Spend party since it was the Reagan and George W. Administrations that were responsible for the two largest deficits in American history, go figure. Is John Boehner trying to set another record, one in the Big Lie department?
John Boehner on AMAZON
- Are You A Social Dominator? Take the Test and Find O...
Social Dominance Orientation and Right-wing Autoritarian personalities need to be understood if you are going to understand today's Conservative movement. There are quizes that have been developed by psychologists to determine how strongly individual
- An Analysis of the Right-Wing Authoritarian Follower...
Are you a Right-wing Authoritarian (RWA) follower? I have talked about this personality characteristic vis-a-vis our political arena in several of the articles I have written because I believe it plays such a major role in today's political debate. T