WHAT ARE THE SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF OTITIS EXTERNA ?
SYMPTOMS OF OTITIS EXTERNA :-
1) Irritation ( desire to clean or scratch the ear )
4) Deafness (seldom, complete )
5) Temperature if acute inflammation is present
SIGNS OF OTITIS EXTERNA :-
Signs of otitis externa depends upon the type of infection. They are :
1) meatus is oedamatous and narrow.
2) It is very painfull if we touch the pinna.
3) Serous discharge from the meatus.
4) Fungal infection. Fungus can be seen which wears bloating paper appearance.
5) In Influenza blebs and bullae are found.
6) hearing is normal.
MICROSCOPIC EXAMINATION :-
On microscopic examination whole skin is inflamed,lot of chronic inflammatory cell are found inside and surface epithelium is destroyed.
GENERAL TREATMENT OF OTITIS EXTERNA :-
1) Clean the ear very gently and carefully by syringing or by dry method and remove the whole pus.
2) Application of drugs in the form of drops,cotton packs or wicks which are soaked in various solutions ,antibiotic ointments with or without steroids.Wicks are changed every day till the skin becomes normal.
SYSTEMIC TREATMENT :-
2) Eczematous type should be treated accordingly.
PREVENTIVE TREATMENT :-
1) Avoid scraching.
2) Do not allow water to get into ear.