- Politics and Social Issues»
- Asia Political & Social Issues
Philippine Elections 2010 - The Presidential Candidates
The Philippines will hold its Presidential Elections in May 2010
As the deadline for filing of the certificate of candidacy draws near, there is a lot of speculation as who would be running for the Presidency and who would their running mates be, for the Vice-Presidency. Although a few politicians have already signalled their intentions to run, the majority of them have withheld from the public their intentions, and are waiting until the last day of the filing before publicizing their candidacy.
Senator Manny Villar, the former Senate President, has already made it known that he is a presidential candidate. Also vocal is the former Marikina Mayor and currently Chairman of the Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA), Bayani Fernando.
But whether they admit it or not, most candidates are already running their campaign advertisements, disquised as infomercials (information commercial), because under the rules of the Commission of Elections, it is still illegal to campaign for any candidate.
Since the Philippines have a muti-party form elections, there are many candidates, each vying for their parties' nominations.
Here are some of the possible presidential candidates:
1. Francis "Kiko" Pangilinan (Political Party: Liberal Party (LP)). The husband of the popular actress Sharon Cuneta.
3. Joseph "Erap" Estrada (Political Party: PMP). Former Philippine president who was convicted of plunder but subsequently pardoned by President Gloria Arroyo.
4. Noli "Kabayan" de Castro (Political Party: Independent). A popular newscaster and journalist and currently the Vice-President of the Philippines.
5. Gilberto "Gibo" Teodoro, Jr. A member of the Cojuanco clan. The current Secretary of National Defense.
6. Bayani Fernando (Political Party: Lakas-CMD) - Former Marikina City Mayor and currently Secretary of Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA).
7. Loren Legarda (Political Party: NPC). A journalist and currently a member of the Senate of the Philippines (Senator).
8. Mike Velarde (Political Party: Buhay). Founder of the El Shaddai Movement.
9. Eddie Villanueva (Political Party: Bangon Pilipinas). Christian evangelist.
10. Feliciano "Sonny" Belmonte, Jr (Political Party: Lakas-CMD) - the current Mayor of Quezon City.
11. Eddie "Among Ed" Panlilio (Political Party: Independent) - the Catholic priest governor of Pampanga.
12. Francis "Chiz" Escudero (Political Party: NPC). A member of the Senate of the Philippines (Senator).
13. Jamby Madrigal (Political Party: Geniune Opposition). A member of the Senate of the Philippines.
14. Richard "Dick" Gordon (Political Party: BAGUMBAYAN). A member of the Senate of the Philippines and former mayor of Olongapo City and also a former administrator of the Subic Free Port.
15. Mar Roxas (Political Party: LP). A member of the Senate of the Philippines. To be married to a popular Filipino journalist and newcaster, Korina Sanchez.
16. Miriam Santiago (Political Party: PRP). A member of the Senate of the Philippines.
17. Antonio "Sonny" Trillanes (Political Party: Geniune Opposition). A member of the Senate of the Philippines. Currently incarcerated due to his complicity in the Oakwood Mutiny.
18. Reynato Puno (Political Party: Independent). Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.
19. Benigno "Noynoy" Aquino III (Liberal Party). Philippine senator and the only son of the former President Corazon Aquino and former Senator Benigno Aquino Jr. The brother of the popular TV host and actress Kris Aquino.
20. Manuel "Manny" Villar Jr. (Nacionalista Party). Filipino businessman and former Senate President of the Philippines. The most visible presidential candidate who has announce his presidential aspiration years back. His ad campaigns have been going on for quite sometime. Seen by most as using his money for his utmost advantage in the coming presidential election.
Election News Update
02 SEPTEMBER 2009
- Senator Mar Roxas has announce his withdrawal from the 2010 Presidential Elections to give way for the candidacy of LP party mate Senator Benigno "Noynoy" Aquino, the son of former President Corazon Aquino.
- Everyone is waiting for a confirmation from Senator Aquino who is scheduled to give a news conference.
- Senator Benigno Aquino held a press conference at the Club Manila but did not confirm any decision to run for the presidency. He is going to a Carmelite reatreat until the weekend and promised to make an announcement on a later date.
15 SEPTEMBER 2009
- Noynoy Aquino has accepted the challenge to run for the Presidency last week. His running mate is still unofficial, although people are expecting that it would be his partymate Mar Roxas.
- The Nacionalist Party (NP) is about to hold its convention today and might announce it candidates today.
Philippine Elections 2010 Resources
- Political Parties of the Philippines - A comprehensive list of the different political parties. It contains links to the respective article on each party. Wikepedia, the free encyclopedia.
- Senate of the Philippines - Official website of the Senate of the Philippines that you can consult for more information on senators that are possible canditates to the presidency.
- Commission on Elections - Official Website of the Commission on Elections (COMELEC) of the Republic of the Philippines. Please be a little patient with their website. It is election period and it could be swamped with visitors and could become really slow.
Philippine Elections 2010 Video
15 October 2009 Election Update
From Malaysian Mirror, http://www.malaysianmirror.com:
AQUINO LEADING PHILIPPINE PRESIDENTIAL RACE - MANILA, Oct 14 - The son of revered former Philippine President Cory Aquino has taken a commanding lead among potential candidates for the 2010 presidential elections, an opinion poll said today. The poll by the Social Weather Stations (SWS) showed Senator Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino favoured by 60 per cent of respondents. Senator Manuel Villar, in the lead in opinion polls before Aquino announced his candidacy last month, was second with 37 per cent. Read more...
Ex-Philippine President Estrada To Run Again in 2010 MANILA, Philippines : Wednesday, 14 October 2009 16:31 - Former Philippine leader Joseph Estrada, ousted in a popular uprising in 2001 and later convicted of graft, said Wednesday he would run again for president in next year's elections. The announcement by the charismatic action movie star will excite his loyal fans, but observers said it was also likely to create constitutional controversies and dilute opposition efforts to oust the ruling coalition. "Yes, I will run," Estrada, 72, told AFP, when asked to confirm local press reports of his decision.
Presidential Election 2016 Results
% of Total
Benigno Aquino III
John Carlos delos Reyes
Related Reading Materials
- Philippine Elections 2016 - The Presidential Candida...
The Philippine presidential elections will be held on Monday, May 9, 2016 to elect the 16th President of the Philippines and here is the list of possible presidential candidates.
- Makati City
Makati City is the Philippines' financial capital. The Wall Street is Ayala Avenue, where the Philippine Stock Exchange is located. Learn more about Makati, its geography, history, famous landmarks, and tourist destinations.
- Philippine Tourist Spots
The Philippines possesses world class tourist spots including many UNESCO designated World Heritage sites that are perfect destinations for local and foreign tourists.
- Philippine Tourist Destination - Boracay Island
Boracay Island in the Philippines is a popular vacation destination for both local and foreign tourist because of its long white sandy beaches coupled with clear blue waters.
- Philippine Cruises - The Manila Bay Cruise
Manila Bay cruise destinations in the Philippines include the Corregidor Island.
- Philippine Tours - MetroStar Ferry
MetroStar Ferry is a ferry service operated by the SM Mall of Asia, in Manila, Philippines. SM Mall of Asia is located along Roxas Boulevard and since the ferry's terminal is at the back of the mall, along the Manila Bay, they provide free shuttle...