- Politics and Social Issues
Princess Diana, Harrods & Fayed's Unbreakable Bond
The whole world knows Princess Diana - The Princess of Hearts.
Harrods is the worlds most famous luxury department Store, owned by Egyptian Billionaire, Al Fayed Mohamed.
Dodi Fayed (the son of Mohamed Al Fayed) was romantically linked to Princess Diana and sadly passed away in that fatal car crash in Paris, on 31 August 1997. Mohamed Al Fayed believes till this day, that the death of his son and the Princess was a conspiracy. An official UK police inquiry into the Paris car crash found no evidence the couple were murdered. (Dec. 14, 2006). The Lord Stevens report on the deaths of Diana, Princess of Wales and Dodi Al Fayed came nearly a decade after the fatal Paris car crash. It's a wonder why it took so long.
Anyway, Mohamed Al Fayed set up two memorials for Princess Diana and Dodi Fayed in the Harrods London Store. The first memorial is above. Four candles burn steadily around the portraits and they are supported by a Fountain with endless flow of water - symbolising eternal life.
A large, leather bound book also lies open and is signed by people from all over the world, who are united in this loss. It is reported that messages fill one book, every fortnight.
The second Memorial is a bronze statue of the couple dancing, called “Innocent Victims” also in the Harrods London shop.
Second Memorial - Bronze Statue "Innocent Victims"
Interesting Facts about Mohamed Al Fayed:
- Mohamed Al Fayed has been in Britain since 1974 and has still not been given British citizenship. The government repeatedly reject his applications and yet, this is a man who employs hundreds of Europeans, which in my opinion is good for the economy.
- He has other massive businesses which include: Harrods Bank - One of the most exclusive bank accounts around. Harrods Aviation/Air harrods - Private aircraft and helicopter services. Also, not forgetting - The famous Ritz Hotel in Paris.
These are just a few.
- Jade Goody, the famous reality Big Brother (UK) star, who died of cervical cancer in March 09, got married a few weeks before she passed away. Mohamed Al Fayed, donated a wedding dress to her. It was a Manuel Mota, Ivory gown from Harrods - £3,500.
Jade Goody on her Wedding Day
- He is extremely generous. He has Charities and also contributes largely to other Charities:
Gt Ormond Street Childrens Hospital
Mr Al Fayed's support to date, makes him the biggest single donor to the Hospital.
The Al Fayed Charitable Foundation
Set up to help children suffering from life-threatening illnesses or living in poverty.
Mr Al Fayed visited Thailand on a mission of mercy to help the children of Bangkok improve their quality of life and prospects for the future.
Again these are just a few. You can find out more at www.alfayed.com
Inside Harrods - An Egyptian Theme
So, when next you visit London, Pay a visit to Harrods. It is in Knightsbridge, along with other shops such as Prada, Louis Vuitton, Mont Blanc, Cartier, Harvey Nichols and many others - you know, all your favourite ones.
Click Here – for how to get to the store. When you visit the store, you can't help but pay a thought to Princess Diana, Dodi and the owner - Mohamed Al Fayed.
Christmas is just a few months away, hint, hint…..(Published Nov 09)
♥◦•¸♥¸•◦ Also Read: Princess Diana - Gone but never Forgotten
(Published August 2010)