Public Option; Now you see it; Now you don’t!
With the sleight of hand that would make Houdini proud Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid announced his support Monday for ramping up a government-run health insurance program that features a compromise allowing individual states to opt out of the plan. But what Reid failed to clarify was, if states chose to opt out would the people of that state still qualify for any public programs beyond Medicare or Medicaid for which they now qualify. Or, exactly how would the states opt out? Would it be via gubernatorial mandate; through the state legislature, or would it require an actual election. The truth is Reid doesn’t know how it will work because according to New York Senator Chuck Schumer, Reid still hasn't decided what path the bill will take! So in essence what Reid is saying is Trust me on this issue!
What Reid is attempting to do here is provide moderate democrats, that have failed to embrace the public option fearing criticism, cover while also if the Senate votes to drop the public option, Reid can say he tried to get it included. So he maintains the delicate balance between providing cover for the Blue Dogs, whom he desperately needs, while continuing to pacify his liberal lefty loons clamoring for the federal government to takeover of the health care sector of this economy!
What does the Wall Street Journal say about Reid’s proposal? Well here are a few of the particulars they point out that Reid and his fellow Socialist don’t want you to know:
(1) Employers with more than 50 workers wouldn't be required to provide health insurance, but they would face fines of up to $750 per employee if even part of their work force received a government subsidy to buy health insurance.
(2) The bill is expected to expand health coverage to tens of millions of Americans by giving low- and middle-income Americans subsidies to offset the cost of insurance.
(3) It expands the Medicaid federal-state insurance program to cover a broader cross-section of the poor.
(4) Most people would be required to buy insurance or pay a fine, though exceptions would be made for those deemed unable to afford it.
(5) New regulations on insurers to prevent them from denying coverage to people with pre-existing health conditions and from dropping customers' insurance once they suffer ill health.
So, what is the end result of this latest sophistry employed by Reid and his fellow Marxist? This bill will also eventually force private insurance companies out of business and put everyone into a government run system. Once inside this system, all decisions about personal health care will ultimately be made by federal bureaucrats, most of whom will not be health care professionals. Hospital admissions, payments to physicians, and allocations of necessary medical devices will be strictly controlled.
The truth is this legislation really has no intention of providing affordable health care choices. Instead it is a convenient cover for the most massive transfer of power to the Executive Branch of government that has ever occurred, destroying the Constitution of the United States of America in the process! Can you say Heil Obama?