- Politics and Social Issues»
- North America Political & Social Issues
Rolando Sarraff Trujillo, The Spy Who Is Now Free
Even though the United States has not released the name of the other individual who was released from Cuba along with Alan Gross. Through investigation, we now know his name.
Rolando Sarraff Trujillo has spent 20 years in a Cuban prison on charges of spying for the United States government. President Barack Obama claimed his "deal" with Cuban President Raul Castro gained the release of one of the most important spies in American history.
Rolando Saraff Trujillo
One day this young man went to work at his cryptology job at Cuba’s Directorate of Intelligence. Rolando's parents were both officials in Castro's government in Cuba.
Rolando never came home. His parents contacted the Directorate of Intelligence and were told that their son was now better off, as were they. He was arrested and put into a Cuban prison. His charge was handing information to the Central Intelligence Agency.
Supposedly, Trujillo worked along with a friend he had since he was young...José Cohen and Rolando passed pertinent information via encrypted messages to Chris Simmons who was chief of the Cuban counterintelligence unit for the Defense Intelligence Agency after Trujillo was arrested.
Cohen promptly escaped Cuba by raft after Trujillo was arrested. The Castro regime sentenced Cohen to death in absence. He is still alive in the United States. The only reason Trujillo was not sentenced to death was because of the high government positions his parents held.
The Use Of Trujillo and Cohen
If all is true, these 2 men helped to uncover various spying and terrorist operations run by the Communist Castro regime. These are some cases that are attributed to these spies:
- Ana Montes. She worked for the Defense Intelligence Agency as an analyst. She passed information to the Cubans. She was arrested by the F.B.I. in 2001 and sentenced to 25 years in Federal prison. She is incarcerated at FMC Carswell in Fort Worth, Texas with a scheduled release date in 2023.
- Walter and Gwendolyn Myers. Walter was a State Department official. He and his wife were arrested for spying for Cuba for approximately 30 years. In 2010, Walter was sentenced to life imprisonment. Gwendolyn was sentenced to 81 months in prison. Walter is in the ADX Florence supermax facility in Colorado.
- The Cuban Five. These are five men who were arrested on various charges that included: conspiracy to commit espionage, conspiracy to commit murder, acting as an agent of a foreign government, and other acts against the United States Government. 3 of them were released in this deal. The other 2 had been released earlier.
I can't help but admire their disinterested and courageous conduct on behalf of Cuba. Those who in one form or another have helped to protect the Cuban people from the terrorist plans and assassination plots organized by various U.S. administrations have done so at the initiative of their own conscience and are deserving, in my judgment, of all the honors in the world— Fidel Castro, days after the Myers couple's arrest
Where is Rolando?
He called his family regularly.
They have not heard from him since his release from the Cuban prison system. They wonder where he is and if he is ok.
Personally, I commend Rolando Sarraff Trujillo on the help he provided the United States of America.
I commend President Barack Obama on winning his release. No matter the opinions I have about this President, this was good.
I hope and pray the family of Rolando can reunite with him. I pray that Cuba does change their course and it becomes a country where the citizens can live free and happy without the stress of when their government will "stomp" on them.
No matter whether Fidel is dead or not, his ideology still lives on. Can the Cuban way work with the American way? Only time can tell.
We need to learn to live together in a civilized way, with our differences— Raul Castro in a televised appearance after the release
Do you think that Cuba and the United States can work together in peace?
These are articles I referenced in the making of this hub:
© 2014 Greg Boudonck