Ronald Reagan: From Hollywood To The White House
Reagan Was Everywhere
Ronald Wilson Reagan was born in Illinois in 1911, and died in California in 2004 at the age of 93. He was in radio, film and television. He was the 33rd Governor of California and the 40th U.S. President. In his time in the spotlight, which was his entire adult life, he made enemies and gained supporters during his conquests. He survived an assassination attempt on his life while serving as President. Ronald Reagan was known to speak his mind, even when it was wise to keep quiet. He spent time in the military while acting and after the war he continued in Hollywood until politics beckoned.
Reagan was set in his ways and was far from perfect but, he loved his country and always did what he believed to be the right thing. Growing up in the 80s I can recall him being a forceful President who spoke loud and clear.
Former Army Captain Ronald Reagan
Reagan and The Movies
Ronald Wilson Reagan graduated college with a degree in Sociology and Economics. He moved from Illinois to Iowa to find work, and he found it on the radio. He called sports games, and eventually landed a gig with the Chicago Cubs calling their games on the radio. Warner Bros.picked him up for films after a quick screen test. Within three years, he had 21 films to his credit. He played himself and other characters on television. His acting and his voice carried over into politics as well as public speaking. He actually served as President of The Screen Actors Guild and later parlayed his speaking skills into becoming a spokesman for General Electric. He had acting skills but, his career on the screen was interrupted by a stint in the Military. Reagan took his movie star forceful voice and personality with him into the political world. Truth be told, he was a popular actor without it. Popularity helped his cause when he entered the political realm.
* Please feel free to share your views on Ronald Reagan the politician or Ronald Reagan the actor in the comments capsule located at the bottom of this page.
Do You Go To The Polls?
Have you ever voted in an election before?
Reagan as Governor of California
Ronald Reagan began his political career as a Democrat in the early 1940s but, switched to Republican shortly after meeting his future wife, Nancy Davis, who was a Republican. Reagan began endorsing very conservative views and endorsed all the Republican nominees. He also joined the National Rifle Association. Reagan was Governor of California for two terms which lasted from 1967 till 1975. He was against abortion but, he was in favor of Capital Punishment and he was involved in many conflicts with the public during his time as Governor. Still, Reagan is remembered as a great Governor for our countries largest state.
From Democrat To Republican
Ronald Reagan's Education
Ronald Reagan graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Sociology and Economics. He attended Eureka College in Illinois.
Ronald Reagan was President of the United States from 1981 until 1989 and he was successful overall in his career choice. Although he had many detractors, he had more people in favor of him. Reagan defeated Jimmy Carter for his first term as President, and Walter Mondale for his second election victory. One of his best accomplishments, was starting the War on Drugs crusade which still continues today. Reagan is the oldest elected American President being elected at the age of 69. A little over two months after becoming President, Ronald Reagan was shot by John Hinckley, Jr. and he shot several of his men. He survived, persevered, and became even more beloved by the public. His Star Wars idea showed he was serious about protecting our country and other countries took notice. Anytime war entered the equation President Reagan ended matters swiftly. Reagan was a President that the people listened to.
Ronald Reagan's Best Movies
This is The Army
The Winning Team
Wings For This Man
Prisoner of War
Law and Order
Hellcats of The Navy
Cattle Queen of Montana
The Ronald Reagan Presidential Library
Ronald Reagan Book on Amazon
Ronald Reagan's Best Moments
1. Bringing The Cold War To An End: The President stood up to the Soviet Union and was instrumental in the collapse of the Soviet Union which was a Communist state seeking to rule the world. Reagan aided rebels in their fight against the Russians.
2. Reaganomics: President Reagan made tax cuts across the board, issued a domestic spending limit and enforced deregulation which helped the economy soar high for nearly 20 years. He really took a tough stand to bring the American economy to a prosperous time.
3. Peace Through Strength Military Build Up: Our military force was downsized by former President Jimmy Carter but, amidst the growing threat from the Soviet Union, Reagan built our Armed Forces back up to remain a military power house.
4. Reducing Nuclear Weapons: President Reagan along with Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev signed the INF Treaty and the START Treaty which stands for Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty. This helped to eliminate over half of the nuclear arsenal in the U.S. and in Russia.
5. Tax Reform: The Tax Reform Act of 1986 discontinued many tax shelters, reduced the number of taxable deductions and of course, reduced many tax brackets. This actually was a huge improvement that the Reagan admin does not get enough credit for.
6. War on Drugs: President Reagan began a war on drugs by cracking down on dealers and users. His wife, Nancy started the slogan, Just Say No! Whether you are a fan of Reagan or not you must admit the War on Drugs was a good move on his part.
Birthplace of Ronald Reagan
- War Stories of Vietnam
This article features an interview with a Vietnam War veteran from the Army division. Pictures, videos, maps, commentary and polls are also listed in this hub.
- How To Counter Act Rising Gas Prices
This article describes some of the ways for dealing with high gasoline prices. Car pooling, riding a bicycle, buying a four cylinder car and boycotting oil prices are featured in this energy hub.
- Gun Control: Pros and Cons
This article details the pros and cons of Gun Control. This hub shows both sides of the story along with pictures, polls, you tube videos and commentary on this subject. Please leave comments.
- America's Best Presidents in History
This article is about the top Presidents in the history of the United States of America. Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton and Franklin Roosevelt are highlighted here along with you tube videos, pictures, polls, maps and commentary.
- Gun Control: The Debate Rages On
This hub focuses on the debate in the United States about Gun Control. Pictures, you tube videos, a poll and commentary are listed in this article as well as other facts about this issue.
Rare Ronald Reagan and James Dean Clip
Was He Governor?
view quiz statistics
A Tribute To Ronald Reagan
Ronald Reagan's Tear Down This Wall Speech
© 2013 Buster Johnson