- Politics and Social Issues»
- Europe Political & Social Issues
Shadow Cabinet Members of the UK (2010 Election)
Do you know your Shadow Cabinet?
This is a hub to give an idea about the backgrounds and qualifications of the shadow cabinet in the UK for the 2010 election. This article is not politically charged and does not intend to persuade or dissuade readers from the Labour Party.
Leader of the Opposition: The Right Honourable Ed Miliband
Leader of Her Majesty's Most Loyal Opposition
Ed Miliband, Leader of the Labour Party, has the title of 'leader of the opposition' and fulfilled his duty of choosing all of the other shadow cabinet members.
- Younger son of polish immigrants.
- Mother was a human rights and nuclear disarmament campaigner.
- Father was an academic at the London School of Economics and then a professor of politics at Leeds University
- A Levels
B in Physics, B in Further Math, A in English, A in Math
2:1 in PPE, Corpus Christi, Oxford University and a Masters in Economy from LSE
The right honourable Harriet Harman QC MP fills the following positions:
- Shadow Deputy Prime Minister
- Shadow Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport
- Chair of the Labour Party
- Born Lesley Harriet Harman in London
- Mother was a solicitor
- Father was a physician
- BA in Politics from York University
The right honourable Ed Balls MP fills the role of Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer and is also the MP for Morley and Outwood.
- Father is a zoologist Michael Balls
- Mother is Carolyn Janet Balls
- Private education from the all-boys Nottingham High School
- First from Keble College, Oxford in Philosophy Politics and Economics
- Kennedy Scholar specialising in Economics from the John F.Kennedy School of Government, Harvard.
- Husband of Yvette Cooper
- Whilst at Oxford Ed Balls dressed as a Nazi to a 'dictators party'
- He is also a founding member of an all-male drinking club 'The Steamers'
- Father is Tony Cooper, General Secretary of the Union Prospect and a member of the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority. He was also part of the Energy Advisory Panel for the Conservatives.
- Educated at the comprehensive Eggar's school.
- First in PPE at Balliol College, Oxford
- Gained a Kennedy Scholarship to Harvard University
- Achieved a MSc in Economicas at the London School of Economics
- Married Ed Balls
- Yvette Cooper and Ed Balls were the first married couple to serve together in the Cabinet
- Shadow Secretary of State for Justice
- Shadow Lord Chancellor
- Shadow Minister for London
- MP for Tooting
- Born in London to Pakistani immigrants
- Father was a bus driver
- Educated at the comprehensive all-boys school Ernest Bevin College
- Studied Law at the University of North London
- Solicitor from 1994-2005
- Served as Vice Chair of the Legal Action Group (LAG)
- Chair of the civil liberties group Liberty (NCCL) for three years
- Shadow Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- MP for Paisely & Renfrewshire South.
- Father was a doctor and a Church of Scotland minister, Douglas N. Alexander
- Studied at the comprehensive Parks Main High School, Erskine
- Won a Scottish scholarship to Lester B. Pearson United World College of the Pacific, Canada and received an International Baccalaureate Diploma
- Graduated from the University of Edinburgh with a first-class degree
- Worked for Michael Dukakis during the 1988 American Presidential Election campaign and for the Democratic senator in Washington DC.
- MP for Doncaster Central since 1997
- Shadow Chief Whip in the House of Commons.
- Privately educated
- BA in History at the University of Hull
- Shadow Secretary of State for Health
- MP for Leigh since 2001
- Father was a telephone engineer
- Mother was a receptionist
- Educated at a Roman Catholic high school
- English at Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge
- Andy Burnham was one of the 27 MP's revealed by the Daily Mail to have used tax payers money for ludicrous and unfair purchases. Burnham claimed £16,644 for renovations and work on a London flat he was buying. He also attempted to claim for mortgage interested for both his flat in Lambeth, his Burnham home and also capital repayment (cash in hand) but was rightly rejected by the Fees Office, especially since the rules state that MP's can only reimburse themselves on one home. More ludicrously, Burnham even tried to claim £19.99 on a bathrobe and £0.99 on a toothbrush from IKEA, but was once again rightly rejected by the Fees Office.
In 2010, Stephen Twigg was the MP for Liverpool West Derby and was also chosen to be a Shadow Foreign Office Minister. However, he was reshuffled into the position of Shadow Secretary of State for Education in 2011 by Ed Miliband.
- Educated at the comprehensive school Southgate Secondary
- Read Philosophy, Politics, Economics at Baliol College, Oxford
- Worked at Amnesty International
- Stephen Twigg was the youngest and only openly gay president of the National Union of Students there had ever been.
- In 2005, Twigg was arrested for being drunk and incapable in a public place and was fined £50.
- Shadow Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills
- MP for Streatham since 2010
- Father was from Awka, Nigeria, and died in a road accident in 1992
- Mother was a lawyer and daughter of a high court judge
- Privately educated in the UK
- LLB in English and French Law at the University of Manchester