Shocking News About Homelessness In America
Homeless Old Woman
Who Are America's Homeless?
Homelessness is the state of not having a permanent home or place to live. A stable and permanent home environment is one of the things that differentiates humans from the animal species. Having a home is something we usually take for granted.
Well, the shocking news is.....
1) If you are employed and your job is your only source of income AND if you have not been able to save up enough money to support yourself and your family for at least a year, and do not have relatives to bail you out.... you will be in jeopardy of losing your home.
2) If you lose your job and do not have the money or a rich uncle to give you the money to pay your car note, you will be in jeopardy of losing your car. (Not having a car for transportation or sleeping is a liability)
3) If you are the bread winner of your family develops a serious illness and are no longer able to work, you will be in jeopardy of losing your home and your cars.
4) If you are a female and the victim of spousal abuse, you are in jeopardy of losing your home and being homeless.
5) If you experience a life stressor event, i.e, the death of a spouse, parent,or child,or is a victim or witness to a traumatic event, you will be in jeopardy of losing your home.
6) If you are blessed enough to be wealthy and invest heavily in the stock market and the market crashes, you will be in jeopardy of losing your home, your cars, your valuable properties, etc.
7) If you are involved in a serious car crash while driving to and fro or as a passenger in a car, you may be in jeopardy of losing your home.
8) If you are an elderly person on Social Security, and there is a wait for Senior housing you can afford, you will be in jeopardy of becoming homeless.
9) If you are a young child or a teen and your parent(s) lose their jobs, you will be at risk for homelessness.
10) If your unemployment benefits have ran out or will end soon, you are at risk for homelessness.
All and more of these things mentioned above have happened to America's homeless population. They are listed to motivate you to learn and to know more about just who the homeless in America are.
They are individuals just like your self. They may be your once next door neighbors or co-workers...the person you once sat in the same pew with in church, your parents, your siblings...your friends...your post man/woman....your barber...
According to the Department of Housing And Urban Development:
- 65 % of the homeless are men
- 41% of the men are between 31-50 years old
- 66% are families including children
- 19% are veterans
- 2% are elderly
The Coalition For homelessness report that 1.5 million children in America go to sleep every night without a home and that 1 in 5 children in America will experience homelessness in their lifetimes
Some Statistics Reported By The National Center On Homeless Children
- Homeless children are twice as likely to experience hunger as other children
- Homeless children are two times as likely to have moderate to severe chronic health problems.
- Homless children are twice as likely to repeat a grade, drop out of high school,or be suspended than otherchildren. Their high school graduation rate is only 25%.
American veterans are individuals who have served our country. Many of them have gone to war and risked their lives so that we could sleep soundly and be free. These men often return home scarred mentally and physically. They are frequently diagnosed with PTSD. Many use drugs and alcohol to deal with their demons. These men and women often end up homeless and on the streets.
Veterans make up 19 % of the homeless population in America.
The elderly make up 2% of the homeless population. That means that on a given night 12,676 elderly persons in America are living in shelters or on the streets.
Many elderly persons are not able to find adequate housing because they are dependent upon Social Security and need to find Government sponsored housing especially for Seniors.
The average wait for Senior housing is 2-5 years. What are those Seniors who are without families or other supplemental support supposed to do? Many of these Seniors end up homeless and living in the streets.
Some Seniors need special considerations if they are to live in a homeless shelter. Some shelters are located in tall buildings. Seniors often find it impossible to climb steps. Seniors are also leery of crowds and prefer to live on the streets.
Of the 41% of homeless families many are children and teens. Many run-away teens are also among the homeless population.
Other shocking news about the homeless!!!
- The homeless are 3-4 times more likely to die prematurely than the general population.
- The life expectancy of the homeless is 42-52 years of age.
- People who are homeless do not reach the age of 62 as often as the general population according to their numbers within the homeless population.
What can you do to help or prevent homelessness?
- Become more knowledgeable. Don't feed into the myths about the homeless. You now know who the homeless are. Knowledge is power. Share the TRUTH.
- Don't avoid the homeless or pretend that you don't see them. They are your fellow human beings and deserve to be acknowledged.
Caution! Some of the homeless are paranoid and may react in a hostile manner as they perceive that you are a threat to them.
- Communicate with them. Listen to their stories. Show that you are interested in and value them as your fellow human beings.
- If at all possible, give them information re community resources and jobs .
- Donate money if appropriate. Each situation is different. You may also choose to ask them what things they need and purchase the items for them.
- Volunteer and donate at shelters for the homeless. The more you give, the more blessings you will receive.
- Spread the word about how others can help the homeless in your community.
- Become an advocate for the homeless.
IMAGES OF THE HOMELESS IN AMERICA:
The statement that best characterizes the homeless in America is.
SES by <a href="http://www.degreeadvantage.com/business-degrees.html">business degree online</a> promotion team.