- Politics and Social Issues»
- Economy & Government
Shutting Detroit Down
Shutting Detroit Down
The Song Shutting Detroit Down or as some people refer to it as shutting down Detroit was written by country artist John Rich. You may know him better as the "Rich" of country duo Big and Rich. The song Shutting Detroit Down is being recorded in a 7 day time period to make the release of John Rich's Solo album. Their is mixed feelings about the song saying their is more to blame than just the Automotive Industries big 3 for the failure, but if you or any one you know works for the auto industry, or for a company that manufactures parts for the automotive industry and has lost your job or been downsized after years of dedicated hard work, the song really hits home whether you live in Detroit or not.
Is Detroit Shutting Down?
Some History about Detroit
Well, I don't know if the whole city of Detroit is really going to shut down but here is some brief history about Detroit.
- The city of Detroit was actually founded on July 24th 1701 by a man named Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac.
- In the middle of the 1700's, approximatley (1755-1763) Detroit was turned over to the British as a spoil of the French and Indian War, however by 1796, George Washington forced the British out of the city and they rose the American Flag over Fort Pontchartrain.
- In 1805 a huge devastating fire swept through Detroit and destroyed all 200 structures except 1 stone wharehouse.
- After the war in 1812 the steamboat was developed and with the opening of the Erie canal Detroit once again seen dramatic growth and was incorperated as a city in 1815.
- By the time Michigan became th 26th state in 1837, Detroit became a significant sation on the underground railroad.
- Fast forward to th 1940's and Detroit became the forefront to the nations industrial fields, including salt products, seeds, electric refrigeration, stove manufacturing, adding machines and of course Automobiles.
- Detroit engineers developed a massive freeway system to transport their so called fruits of the automobile industry, in doing so Detroit destroyed many public housing units to accomidate the freeway expansion. Public housing residents were evicted and offered no plan for relocation. The city of Detroit failed to comply with the Federal Housing Act 048, which required alternative housing for dislocated renters. In effect, the city created 17,000 refugees and wide distrust for local government.
- And after all that their shutting Detroit down again!
- For more detailed information and a timeline of Detroit History you may visit the source Detroit History.
Shutting Down Detroit
Shutting Detroit Down, You Tube videos
Below are three video clips from YouTube.
The first video clip titled Shutting Detroit Down is by John Rich at a radio station. This video clip is before the song was even released on an album. I don't care if you like country music or not this song is great in my opinion it really gets you thinking and wondering, enjoy! and feel free to give your opinion below in the comment section.
Shutting Detroit Down, John Rich
A great tribute
This is a great slide show tribute video to the song Shutting Detroit Down by John Rich
Billions in Bailouts
600 Billion + 500 Billion = 1.1 Trillion
What about the families that are losing their homes and jobs, not to mention the 100's of 1000's that will lose their job after bailouts to make the companies more efficient.
Shutting Detroit Down, GM building
Here is the Chorus lyrics of the song Shutting Detroit down by John Rich
Cause in the real world their shutting Detroit down, while the boss-man takes his bonus pay and jets on out of town, and DC's bailing out those bankers as the farmers auction ground, yeah while their living it up on wall street in that New York city town, here in the real world their shutting Detroit down-- here in the real world their shutting Detroit down.
How many people have suffered a job loss?
How many people do you know (including yourself) that has lost their job within the last year?
COPE with job loss
If you or a loved one has suffered from a job loss and need help in coping, here is a great site full of information and counselling options
the main purpose of this hub is to share this song which I believe a lot of people can relate to. I am curious what kind of comments we can generate, when it comes to politics and opinions it is interesting to see everyone's views or thoughts on the topic or in this case the song. I myself have personally seen a lot of good friends and even family members lose their jobs, some with only a few years on the job and others with 10 or more years. I have seen and read about people working all their lives to lose their pension or have it cut in half. If you have any comments or stories feel free to share them as well as your opinion of the song, Shutting Detroit Down by John Rich
Visit Make Money Online the official blog
If you liked this article please give me a thumbs up or leave a comment.
If you would like to write your own articles and start earning money sign up here, Make Money With Hubpages its quick, easy and FREE