ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

Solitary Confinement-Problem or Solution?

Updated on May 25, 2014
Eastern State Pen-First jail designed for solitary confinement
Eastern State Pen-First jail designed for solitary confinement
Eastern State Prison
Eastern State Prison
Door to the outside world
Door to the outside world
New and Improved-Now resembles an exhibit at the zoo
New and Improved-Now resembles an exhibit at the zoo


Every year, over 80,000 inmates all over America are held in solitary confinement as punishment for various crimes committed while already behind bars. Many say that this is the only way to ensure prison workers and other inmates safety with violent and disruptive individuals. Others see it as torture that has permanent psychological and physical damage. The area of the brain where loneliness registers, is also the same part that registers physical pain.


Solitary confinement was first used in the late 1800’s in Pennsylvania. The ideal behind it was that a person would be in a silent environment in which they would have time to repent. The facilities were the best and many other prisons were modeled after their example. There was no common population, every cell was by itself, everyone was in solitary confinement. Decades later, statistics showed that the inmates were by far worse.


Psychosis in more than half of the inmates studied, others became more violent. The results of the scientific studies in the end, shut down the facility that hadn't started it all and most of the world stopped the practice of solitary confinement. America is one of the only countries that still use it as a standard punishment for inmates. Maybe because of that, America has more people incarcerated per capita then anywhere else in the world. Inmates that spend over 6 months in solitary confinement have 25 percent higher chance of returning within 3 years. That makes the number 75% instead of 50%, kind of scary. An inmate in solitary confinement is also 14 times more likely to commit suicide.


Many people just simply don’t care. No matter the crime, once a person walks through a prisons door, they somehow lose their humanity to most of the general public. But whether you care or not, you should. If solitary confinement is as damaging as it appears to be, these people may one day be your neighbor, sit beside you on the bus and many other interactions daily. Every year thousands of inmates are released directly from solitary confinement, some after 10 or more years in isolation. To be caged like an animal for 23 hours a day for so many years, transitioning back in to society is virtually impossible, as seen by the percentage that return. Such a huge transition could understandably be hard for former inmates making them become overwhelmed resulting in irrational and impulsive behavior.


To me, it is unclear why this type of punishment has not been improved upon in over a hundred and twenty years. Is permanently destroying a human being worth the price of more law and order? Dare I ask, what are the alternatives?


Comments

    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No comments yet.

    working

    This website uses cookies

    As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

    For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

    Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)