My Thoughts on Climbing the Ladder of Success
Success is Possible for Everyone
Success is not a myth; it is a goal to which we can all aspire in keeping with our ambitions, talents, knowledge and skills as well as God’s purpose and Blessings. It is possible for everyone to achieve success in their given field of endeavour. However, for this to happen, they must first recognize their ambitions, plan the path or ladder to their success then put the plan into action -start climbing.
Climbing Towards Your Dreams
Factors Which Motivate People to Climb the Ladder of Success
What drives you toward success?
Why People Pursue Success
In pursuing success, we must be clear in our minds as to what we perceive it to mean and why we want to achieve it. People may desire to be successful in their careers in order to gain recognition and social esteem, to have power and authority or to earn large incomes. Alternatively, people may pursue success in order to contribute more meaningfully to society, to assist humanity, to make the world better. Indeed, people may seek success just for personal gratification. For example, when a retired, elderly person graduates from an institution of higher learning, it is obviously, not for career success, but to realise dreams and ambitions which he/she was hindered from fulfilling as a result perhaps, of unfavourable life circumstances. Also, certain people, for example; sportsmen, artists, musicians, dancers etc. do what they are doing for enjoyment, gaining success and fame in the process. Hence they probably view success mainly as personal fulfilment.
Definitely, climbing the ladder of success is no easy climb; the journey may be fraught with challenges, impediments and disappointments, but for those who are focused and prepared to persevere, the climb can be actually very rewarding.
Ladder of Success
Some Tips on Climbing the Ladder of Success
- Choose the right ladder - Of course, there are many ladders, but not every ladder is right for you. Your choice of ladder would depend on your goal, your recognition of your strengths, your talents. Avoid disappointments and wasted time by choosing the ladder which best suits you. If, however, at some point in your journey you recognize that you have erred and are convinced that you are climbing the wrong ladder, then it is better to stop and start afresh on the right ladder rather than wasting valuable time moving towards the wrong goal.
- Know what you want to attain at the top of the ladder – Don’t go blindly chasing dreams. Define a clear goal, set clear objectives and even a time frame to get there successfully. It may be necessary to tweak your objectives as you go along; that’s perfectly fine. Also, you may need to adjust the time frame based on the ease or difficulty of your climb. That too is fine.
- Avoid distractions – Be aware, alert and focused. Do not allow yourself to be distracted by naysayers, moaners and groaners or other climbers who lack perseverance and commitment. Too often, people are deterred from taking the route which would lead to accomplishment of their goals or dreams because of the negative influence of others. Also, short cuts can be major distractions; consequently, they should be evaluated carefully. If you decide to take a short cut, you should approach it with caution. Any decision to abort your climb or change course should be your own and not a result of distractions.
- Seek motivation and inspiration – Surround yourself with successful and supportive people and immerse yourself in the encouragement and motivation to be derived from associating with them. They have already walked the path you are walking and climbed the ladder you are climbing; learn useful lessons from their journeys to assist with your own. There will be varied success stories, but you need to choose those which are most relevant to your ladder. You also need to choose lessons which reflect principle and integrity for there are many people who reach the top by taking all types of shortcuts some of which might be illegal, immoral or unfair. Moreover, do not be inspired to fast track your journey to the top by cheating or compromising your values.
- Exercise patience - It is O.K. to take one rung at a time for success is not to be achieved in one huge leap. It is usually achieved gradually through diligence, persistence and perseverance except of course, in cases where persons are fortunate to have sponsors in the form of well-to-do families, political parties etc. to set a foundation for them.
- Be kind and generous - Help others as you move up the ladder. Do not be like those who would trample on others and even kick down the rung below to prevent the next person from tasting the wine of success.
- Climb with God. Make God the principal part of your plans for while we may have what appears to be the perfect plan for our lives, sometimes, God has another plan. Also, I share this very apt quotation, “we deceive ourselves when we think we can ignore God and still receive his Blessings” (Gilbert Beers and Ronald A Beers 1996 -Touch points – God’s Answers for Your Daily Needs).
The Ladder Might be Winding
Sometimes the Road Is n't Easy
The video below depicts a young woman climbing the ladder of success in the face of challenges and distractions. However, with her mind focused on her goal; with determination, perseverance and a positive attitude she makes it to the top.
Her journey shows that with the right mind set and attitude it is possible to make it to the top of the ladder and achieve success.
Climbing the Ladder of Success : Written by Jamesa J Fabien and Dramatized by a Student of the Portsmouth Secondary School
Youth In Society
- Youth in Today's Society
We cannot continue to blame the youth for the problems in modern society. “Children learn what they live and they live what they learn” (Dorothy Law Neite), hence adults must model correct behaviors.
- The Young Generation - Help Them Succeed
Today's youth are fully aware of the negativity which surrounds them in society, yet despite society's disapprobation , many continue to fight the good fight to change this negative perception.
- Formula for Success for Young People
Formula For Success For Young People : Sound Goals + Education + Training + Computer Skills + Discipline and Commitment + Positive Attitude + Strong Connection With the Almighty God = Successful Life
- Leadership - Being a Youth Leader
It is not easy to be a youth leader in today's society as there are many societal pressures which exert strong influences on young people causing them to compromise their values and behave wrongly.
- Empowering the Youth for a Better Tomorrow
Preparing the youth for adult responsibilities and for taking their place as future leaders should not be taken for granted. It is the duty of the older generation to facilitate this preparation.
- A Positive Attitude is the Key to Success
It is important to have a positive attitude in order to enjoy the best of health and to achieve success in life. Often people are kept back from reaching their full potential by their own negativity
- Travelling the Journey of Life
Life is a journey. We must all try to make this journey count for something for we were not brought into this world to be just another statistic, but to impact the lives of others meaningfully.
- Job Satisfaction: High Quality Work Pays Off in the ...
A good salary is the No.1 factor in job motivation for generally, people want to work where the pay is best. However, regardless of the circumstances, a good worker always aims to give his/her best
- Make the World a Better Place – Be Tolerant Toward...
When we are supportive of each other and sensitive to each other's needs, we contribute to a better and brighter world. “We shall pass this way but once...”
- Changing Jobs: Determine the Right Time
Change is inevitable; it is an integral aspect of living and should be embraced if there is the possibility that it will provide opportunities which will enhance your quality of life.
- Gender Based Violence - A Global Pandemic
Gender based violence is a severe violation of human rights. It traverses age, class, income and cultural boundaries, invading and compromising the fundamental rights and freedoms of victims.