- Politics and Social Issues
Taking it All Off! 18 Famous Streakers.
I recently came across an article on Nerve titled The Ten Most Important Moments in Streaking History. I’ve never wanted to run naked anywhere and honestly hadn’t thought about streaking much before reading the article. However, it does a great job of explaining the socio-political motivations that are often behind acts of streaking. That got me curious about streaking and I started doing my research. What I learned is that there have been quite a few famous streakers over time.
Take a look at 18 people who are known for taking it off:
1. Brian Kendrick, the wrestling streaker. Kendrick is a professional American wrestler who was convinced by another wrestler, Sean O’Haire, to go streaking in a 2003 episode of SmackDown! Technically this wasn’t real streaking since Kendrick was wearing undies and a scarf but he got famous for the streaking stunt all the same.
2. Brittney Skye, the marketing streaker. What was the motivation behind Brittney Skye’s streaking when she took off across a golf field in 2003? She attempted to run up to Jim Furyk to give him a flower, which seemed to be the goal of the streaking. However, she was decorated with the website URL of an online casino written on her nude skin so perhaps it was really all about the marketing.
3. Bruce McCauley, the beaten streaker. In 1977 Bruce McCauley streaked at an Australian cricket event. A test cricketer grabbed his cricket bat and struck McCauley who was subsequently caught and arrested for streaking.
4. DJ Sander Latinga, streaking for TV. This radio DJ went streaking at Wimbledon in 2006 as a stung for a TV show called Try Before You Die.
5. Erica Roe, the Twickenham streaker. Many of the streakers that have become famous over time are male streakers but the female streakers are the ones that often get the most attention from their audiences. That’s the case with Erica Roe who is considered the most famous British streaker. She did her streaking at a rugby match at Twickenham between England and Australia in 1982. Like many of the other female streakers that are famous, she was only topless and not bottomless.
6. George William Crump, the streaking Congressman. This former Congressman and ambassador to Chile did some streaking during his college days. He did a nude run through the streets of Lexington, Virginia. This was way back at the beginning of the nineteenth century. In fact, Crump is widely considered the first ever American streaker.
7. Helen D’Amico, the stripper streaker. Streaking is an act of taking off your clothes and so is stripping so it’s not all that shocking that a stripper became a streaker. D’Amico streaked across the 1982 Victorian Football League Grand Finals field wearing only a scarf of the team she supported.
8. Jacqui Salmond, the British Open Streaker. This woman streaked fully need at the British Open in 2000.
9. Juan Rodriguez, the Obama streaker. One of the most recent streakers to become famous was Juan Rodriguez who did his streaking in front of President Obama. His intended purpose was to win some cash money that was offered as a reward for successfully streaking in front of the president but instead of winning the money all he got was a probation sentence.
10. Lianne Crofts, the snooker streaker. The game of snooker is a close-up game but that didn’t stop Lianne Crofts from streaking at a snooker tournament in 1997.
11. Mark Roberts, the most prolific streaker. It is one thing to be bold enough to take off your clothes and rapidly dash across a field at a single event. It is a whole new level of streaking to actually make a name for yourself by streaking again and again at some of the most public events in the world. That’s exactly what Roberts does and has been for more nearly two decades. The Super Bowl, the Running of the Bulls, the 2006 Winter Olympics and Miss World are some of the major events where he has streaked.
12. Melissa Johnson, the first Wimbledon streaker. This twenty-three-year-old woman has the distinction of being the first successful streaker at Wimbledon. Technically she was wearing an apron when she ran out but since she flashed her genitals as she was streaking she counts as a full on streaker.
13. Michael O’Brien, the real Twickenham streaker. Erica Roe, mentioned above, is often called the Twickenham streaker. However, this title may be more appropriately awarded to Michael O’Brien who did his streaking at Twickenham during a rugby game between France and England in 1974. What makes him special is that he was the first streaker at a major sporting event (and now streaking is known for being relatively common at such events). When a cop captured him, he covered O’Brien’s genitals with his policeman’s hat and a resulting photo of this became widely famous.
14. Pieter Van Landeghem, the badminton streaker. It’s not too common for a badminton tournament to be interrupted by a streaker but that’s what happened at the 2007 PBO Championships when Van Landeghem showed off his stuff.
15. Robert Ogilvy, the new Bruce McCauley. In an incident striking similar to the streaking incident of Bruce McCauley (see above), Robert Ogilvy tried to streak at an Australian cricket game but was given a shoulder shove by a cricketer and was subsequently caught by police.
16. Robert Opel, Academy Awards streaker. In 1974 Robert Opel posed as a journalist to sneak backstage at the Academy Awards. (*Note, this point is debatable. Many people believe that this stunt was actually planned and approved by the producer of the awards.) In any case, he did streak across the stage at the famous event.
17. Sheila Nichols, the carthweeling streaker. In 1989 this musician made a name for herself by turning cartwheels named at a cricket game. That is a unique and entertaining take on streaking. It was filmed and aired on TV. Unlike Erica Roe and most other famous female streakers, Nichols was not just topless but totally nude.
18. Yvonne Robb, the Tiger Woods streaker. Back in 1999 a woman streaked across the golf course and ran up to Tiger Woods to plant a named kiss on him.
Be honest – have you ever done any streaking?