Gun Control: The Debate Rages On
The Debate Continues.....
Should schools have armed guards?
Gun Control Ranking
Our President: President Obama's Proposals
The debate rages on today about gun control and how to protect ourselves as well. There is a very fine line with what people believe are right and how far they are willing to go to protect their families and to protect what they work so hard for. There has been a huge increase in the number of school shootings within the last ten to fifteen years. I believe that everyone would agree on one thing, and that is the fact that something needs to be done. The question is what and of course, how? Another question would be, who is going to fund it? People who are innocent are losing their lives just by going to school to learn (the students) and going to school to teach (the Teachers, Principals, for example), as a part of their profession. These people should not have to live their lives in fear carrying on daily activities. Their lives were lost because of someone's senseless act of stupidity.
I am not the President and I do not have to walk in his shoes (thank goodness) so, I do not know how much pressure he is under, I can't imagine. I can see good points to both sides of the story and I also see that there are very strong arguments for and against the limiting of guns. There is never going to be a cut and dry answer of what needs to be done to control guns but, if we would all try to work together I believe that a solution could be reached. Whether you agree with the President's policies and views on gun control one thing is for sure and that is he has some tough decisions to make. The opinions of gun control differ very much but, coming up with the solution is a tough one.
The list compiled below contains the proposals/limitations on guns that is being presented by President Obama and would go hand in hand with gun control. So many problems and so few solutions seem to be the case whenever this topic is brought to the forefront.
1. More extensive background checks before the sale of guns: Background checks are important for the simple fact that this should keep the gun out of convicted felon's hands. It would give the salesman time (a certain amount of days), to check the background. I also think that if a man or woman comes in looking suspicious, I believe that the cops should be alerted and maybe they could send an undercover cop to observe what is going on. Maybe you could have security for the store.
2. Reduce magazine rounds to only ten: Fully automatic weapons are already illegal but, now the new proposal makes it illegal for semi-automatic weapons to have more than 10 rounds in a clip. You sure do not not want your gun taken away if you have one of these guns.
3. Provide extra financial incentives for school security: The school may choose to hire a cop that patrols the halls for added protection or they could install a metal detector at the main entrance You could require everyone to enter through the front door. Also, make it mandatory that the children, carry a see through backpack to class.
4. Ban armor piercing bullets: There would be a ban that would keep armor piercing bullets from being sold to the public but, would be military issued only. So, no more bullets like this issued to the public.
5. Improve mental health insurance: The idea is if more time, energy, money and effort is spent for the individuals who have mental health issues that this will cut down on the number of crimes in the future. I do agree with trying to rehabilitate them by all means possible. I am always suspicious of those whose just go through the motions of rehabilitation just to get out, only to hurt someone again. Maybe this time they go so far as killing someone.
6. Enforce a ban on all assault weapons: This allow fully automatic assault weapons and any other weapon deemed to be excessive will be banned in America.but, placed in the hands of the military (that is just my idea). This would keep the weapons out of the hands of the public and into the hands of people (our military) that can really use them.
Gun Control Books on Amazon
Alternatives To Guns
- Ronald Reagan: From Hollywood To The White House
Ronald Reagan was a two term United States President, Former California Governor and a film actor. Pictures, you tube videos, a map and poll and other facts and information are listed in this hub.
- How To Counter Act Rising Gas Prices
This article describes some of the ways for dealing with high gasoline prices. Car pooling, riding a bicycle, buying a four cylinder car and boycotting oil prices are featured in this energy hub.
- Top Unsolved Crimes of All time
This hub will features the top unsolved crimes ever including the deaths of Tupac Shakur, Biggie Smalls and John F. Kennedy. These crimes and many other have never been solved and have been this way for decades. A poll, a quiz, pictures, commentary a
- America's Best Presidents in History
This article is about the top Presidents in the history of the United States of America. Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton and Franklin Roosevelt are highlighted here along with you tube videos, pictures, polls, maps and commentary.
- Gun Control: Pros and Cons
This article details the pros and cons of Gun Control. This hub shows both sides of the story along with pictures, polls, you tube videos and commentary on this subject. Please leave comments.
Questions Remain Unanswered
There are many things that need to be considered when you think about gun control. How do you protect the American people from others who misuse guns? Do you punish innocent men and women who just want to carry a firearm to protect themselves from harm?
Then, there becomes the debate of whether or not to have security guards inside our schools. On the one hand, if I was a parent I would appreciate the effort that the school system would be putting forth the effort to make the schools safer. Some schools may try metal detectors first.
Large sporting events are easy targets as well for mass murder if that is what the particular person is looking for. A person of this nature is very serious and should be handled as such. They are obviously desperate and will more than likely have outlandish demands.
I don't have the answers I only have my humble opinion. I know that this is a heated subject.
The Topic of Gun Control
© 2013 Buster Johnson