The Mass Shootings Epidemic
A Generation of Mass Shootings
According to a USA Today article, there have been more than 200 mass killings - defined by the FBI as the shooting of four or more victims - since 2006. In reality it can be argued that there have been far more shootings than that. NPR reports that in 2015 alone there were 355 mass shootings - where people were killed or injured.
So what is going on? What is the root of all of this violence? Why do many apparently normal individuals suddenly go on killing sprees?
Perhaps we can glean some clues from the way society has changed in the last 60 years.
The ME Generation
The 1960s became known as the "Me" generation. What were the symptoms?
- It was the generation of "free love."
- The hippie culture was anti-establishment.
- It was a time when feelings were more important than facts - if it felt good, do it!
- Drugs became commonplace.
- Eastern mysticism spread to the West, partially because of the influence of the Beatles.
- Teenagers defying their parents and other forms of authority grew in number.
- In 1970 while protesting Nixon's Cambodian campaign at Kent State the National Guard shot and killed four students and wounded nine others.
- Rock and Roll music influenced the opinions of millions of youth.
- Movies started becoming more permissive.
- Video games specializing in violence desensitized children to the act of killing and at the same time devalued human life.
Other disturbing trends also took place throughout the 60s and 70s:
- In 1962 the Supreme Court ruled that prayer in public schools was unconstitutional.
- In 1963, thanks to a lawsuit by Madalyn Murray O'Hair, official Bible reading in America's public schools came to an end. Moral compasses were thus removed from the school system.
- In 1973 the pro-choice movement won a big victory with the legalization of abortion. The attitude was that nothing should interfere with one's happiness, including the birth of an unwanted baby. Since Roe vs. Wade over 58 million babies have died at the hands of abortionists.
The Decades Since the 60s
Since this time common sense has gone out the window and moral relativism has become the theme song of the young. This is the belief that there are no absolute truths. Truth is only what is true for you. Absolute values don't exist. This has resulted in an anything goes generation.
The LGBT community has now risen to the forefront. Gay behavior is acceptable on the grounds that "love" is what counts, regardless of who you love. Not happy with simply legalizing Gay marriage, the LGBT supporters demand that those who disagree with their lifestyle cave-in and support all their demands. Having gotten their way with demands to be able to marry, they have moved on to demanding that anyone who "feels" themselves to be female be allowed to use ladies restrooms and change rooms, and anyone who "feels" themselves to be male be allowed to use the men's change- and restrooms. Companies like Disney - at one time a safe, family-oriented organization - and the NFL are threatening boycotts if the LGBT supporters don't get their way.
So What Has Happened?
Does anyone see the problem? Morality has been given the boot. At one time parents had the good sense to teach moral values to their children. Once one generation of parents abandoned that practice, their children grew up and became adults who, of course, failed to pass moral values on to their children. Prayer and the Bible were removed from schools, and many gave up on church. People were left to their own devices to determine what was right and wrong, or even if there were any wrongs.
Countless individuals have been left devoid of any real purpose. God is not a factor in their lives and they are often left without any real purpose in life. Isaiah summed it up well:
"Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter. Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes and clever in their own sight. Woe to those who are heroes at drinking wine and champions at mixing drinks, who acquit the guilty for a bribe, but deny justice to the innocent." Isaiah 5:20-23
Sound familiar? Is it any wonder that society is in the state it is in now?