- Politics and Social Issues»
- Middle East Political & Social Issues
The Muslim Brotherhood Seizes Power With Islam in Egypt
While many foresaw the event, the reality is here now, at least for the time being. President Morsi declared himself a God-like status which infuriated many Egyptians wanting a Western type democracy as promised in Tahrir Square over a year ago. The Muslim Brotherhood via Morsi is seizing power little by little unless Egyptians do more than protest.
Egypt's new constitution was a shoe-in after Christians and secular members boycotted the vote, which was a stupid thing to do because it guaranteed Islamists would pass it. Egypt's secular forces which are large have temporarily checked Morsi forcing him to move with caution. The supporters of the Brotherhood are elated but are being challenged. How this will end could be another Mubarak event as two opposing forces fight for Egypt.
The key controversial elements passed are:
- Shariah Law has been broadened
- Military tribunals can try civilians for crimes against the military
- The government has the power to issue laws that regulate "public morality" and "discipline and order"
- Islam is the official religion of Egypt and Arabic its official language and Shariah law the source of legislation
If Morsi and the Brotherhood remain in power, one can easily see where Egypt is headed. A more Iran-like country.