Does the Government Have Better Benefits Than the Private Sector? [F2 405]
The US Government is not a business but they work for us.
Government is not a business but it should be held to the same rules and guidelines as dictated by the US Constitution. Why are government workers treated better than their private sector counterparts? The government is making the private sector employee less equal than the those in the private sector. Where is the 14th amendment on this point?
Private sector businesses run by profit, loss and staying profitable. If they are not profitable, they go out of business. The US government is not bound by profit, loss or even having a product, when the government spends more than they bring in, they just raises taxes, or accrue it as National Debt. The private sector in a similar financial condition is most likely forced into bankruptcy.
Government workers are protected by a public union from being removed from their job. Last year high ranking people were able to stay at their job or some lower position even after they were found to be doing criminal activities in their job. The FBI, CIA and NSA are 3 very important US security agencies and when their top people work against the country and they get caught they still don't get summarily fired much less get criminal sanctions. If they can't get fired or removed for known criminal activity, then why should an economic meltdown matter. The private sector has to keep their companies in the black and take action to stay viable like reduction in force, no overtime, less hours and other things to adjust their bottom line. The government doesn't have a bottom line they just add another zero to their budget. Then they tax the people to make that extra zero real.
Social Security and Medicare Entitlements
Congress, President Obama, Greenspan and Paulson wanted to rape and pillage the Social Security and Medicare System to reduce National Government Spending, but they never suggested cutting the government workers benefits, nor reducing the obese size of the Government Workforce.They call SS and Medicare Entitlements implying government handouts, but they are FICA TAXES promising something in return.
Congress is the worst economy of this country;
Congress raised their own salaries by 3%, while voting down any cost of living increase for SS Retirees. Government workers are protected by powerful public unions while every superfluous government employee is a TAX BURDEN and unnecessary government expenditure. The size and cost of the US Government keeps growing and it needs to be cut in half before there is any talk about reducing or eliminating Social Security, Medicare or any other "Entitlement" program. When the percentage of government workers, Federal, State and Local reach critical levels compared to the US Workforce, the economy can only collapse.
The US cannot continue to pay its public servants better than their masters the people. Neither party has shown solutions for the economy.
Workers in the Private Sector have lost their employers and their jobs and their homes and their ability to get work, yet government workers seem to be immune. When the economy can wipe out large corporations that have existed for many years, cut to the bone many other businesses throughout the country, most government employees Federal, State and Local still demand to be kept on the payroll. Out of all of the millions of unemployed people in this country today, how many of them were government employees?
- Government Workers get real Retirement, Public gets Social Security Tax Retirement
- The government workers are the servants of the people, yet they are given benefits and retirements that most of the people cannot get. These government workers not only get a private pension, they are also eligible for Social Security. While all government pensions are costly burdens to the taxpayer, there is a need to pay back those in the government that put their lives on the line to protect
Federal Employee Retirement System (FERS)
- If Social Security is in trouble, then how can the government afford their workers private pensions and health benefits?
- The taxpayers should be wondering how they can afford government retirement and benefit packages. A dozen members of Congress in 2008 spent most of their time and energy trying to get a new job (US President),
- Congress caused Social Security to be where it is today, just as they have created the current oil scam and the housing/banking collapse.
- The taxpayers should be wondering how they can afford government retirement and benefit packages. A dozen members of Congress in 2008 spent most of their time and energy trying to get a new job (US President).
Government Entitlements Are Taxes
The Social Security System is simply a FICA TAX, and was never more than a piggy bank for the politicians.
- Congress caused Social Security to be where it is today, just as they have created the current oil scam and the housing/banking collapse.
- The Cost of Government relative to prosperity
- The United States cannot prosper with the heavy weight of a large and very expensive government
- Do away with their Special Retirement system and their health program
- Congressional Perks make the government more expensive and the country less prosperous.
Can the United States of America get up from the bad economy with a heavy government on top of it?
- The government is on top of the Economy and it is squeezing the life out of it, Could you get up from a fall on the floor with an extremely heavy weight sitting on you? The answer is no, and it has sucked the prosperity out of the country.
- Government and Union Jobs are a big weight for the country to carry during a recession and economic crisis, especially this major economic meltdown.
- The Congress and its government workforce are not making adjustments consistent with our failing economy.
- The retention of a large workforce in the government causes major budget failures.
- Federal employees earn an average annual compensation of $106,871, including pay and benefits,
The main problem for this government not doing their fair share in this economy is that they operate outside of the laws that they make for the rest of us.
- Many of the same factors that weight down the government jobs can also be applied to union jobs.
- The larger the government the hungrier and the bigger it gets and you then have to contribute more to satiate their hunger.
- Your tax contributions become larger and larger, but the government doesn't give you anything more in return.
- Every worker needs the same protections and benefits that the government worker and the union worker enjoy today
- Federal civilian employees and they account for 2% of the population.
- My point is that in order for the country to prosper, we have to cut the size and benefits of the government worker (Libertarian concept) and truly simplify the TAX system or replace the IRS with a national tax of maybe 10 to 15% instead.
- At the same time you need to produce a viable 3rd party that is filled with big names hopefully democrats and republicans and independents that will capture significant votes so that you won't be throwing your vote away by voting for them.
In addition, government workers would only have the same benefits available to the rest of the people.
It is not Social Security that is the biggest government debt
- IT IS THE GOVERNMENT PENSIONS THAT KEEP INCREASING AS THE SIZE OF THE GOVERNMENT KEEPS INCREASING
- CONGRESS AND GOVERNMENT WORKERS ARE NOT GOING TO BE INCLUDED IN THE NATIONAL HEALTHCARE BILL.
- THEY ALREADY HAVE THEIR HEALTHCARE PAID FOR BY US THE TAXPAYER.
- Government Pensions from the Federal Government, to the State Governments and finally the local government all cost the taxpayers, dearly.
In 2008, during the most critical presidential election campaign of our time, there was no mention by either candidate to cut the government workforce or even to stop increasing its size.
The main problem for this government not doing their fair share in this economy is that they operate outside of the laws that they make for the rest of us
US Governments are Obese and Costly
- EVERY SUPERFLOUS GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEE IS A TAX BURDEN FOR THE TAXPAYER
- in order for the country to prosper we have to cut the size and benefits of the government worker (Libertarian concept) and truly simplify the TAX system or replace the IRS with a national tax of maybe 10 to 15% instead.
- The Federal, State and Local governments have gorged themselves for decades on a high fat pork diet.
- The point is that while the private sector has many companies large and small going out of business.
- The government is like a huge tape worm in the belly of our country and the more we make the bigger they get.
Today, there are talks about fairness and things being un-constitutional.
- It seems to ducky little me that a good argument can be made about the constitutionality of the current Income Tax System.
- Is it fair to tax people different percentage just because of the amount of money that they earn? Even the tithe to God is only 10% and it applied to everyone.
- If Microsoft is laying off, then why not the government
- The Government should follow the trend of the private sector
- The government has too many workers and the economy is to weak to support them.
- There will be no change in Washington as long as government is immune to the need, of severely cutting back their workforce during a bad economy
- As for congress! do away with their Special Retirement system and their health program (they should have same health programs everyone else in America does). When they are through serving their country they go back to being private citizens.
How Can The Government Keep Their Heads While All Around Them Heads Are Being Lost?
- The country has lost hundreds of thousands of jobs and many companies have gone out of business or they have been merged into another company.
- If the King spends more money than he has available to him, it is just a simple matter of raising more tax money.
- The government should provide for its workers, no better salaries or benefits than what is available to the average private sector worker.
- There is no reasonable explanation, why government public servants should be treated like a king while the people that they serve are treated like paupers.
- The government has not lightened their workforce burden on the economy.
- WHY SHOULD YOU CARE ABOUT THE SIZE OF THE GOVERNMENT?
- As the size of the government Increases, so does the tax needed to pay for these workers.
- The benefits include job security, good health insurance, a retirement plan and steady raises.
- Added into the federal pay scale are cost-of-living adjustments.
Every worker needs the same protections and benefits that the government worker and the union worker enjoy today
- Moving to the state government, California is a prime example of how expanding government with very expensive workers can bring down the government
- It is not right, that public servants have better jobs, benefits, job security and retirements than their masters, "the People".
- Asking the government to reduce their burden, by reducing their workforce or reducing their benefits is not asking for a unilateral sacrifice.
Why are government workers untouchable by the bad economy, the Simple answer to this question is because the voters are sheep.
The voters over the last six decades have been transformed by the two party system and the media into political sheep.
- These political sheep keep re-electing the same people election after election.
- When an incumbent finally leaves office, they vote in a new but still inept party member to replace them. So the party members in Congress have no fear of the voters kicking them out of office, so they continue to turn a deaf ear to the people. This enables them to continue to grow their empire of government workers, to the point where we are today. The size of the Federal Government is twice what we can afford and three times what it should be to be efficient and effective.
- The voters have become loyal, but unthinking members of their political party. Neither of the two dominant parties regards these loyal party voters as intelligent. These party voters cease to be important to the political party the moment they register with the party. Their political party then spends all of the efforts and attention on the independent voters.
The loyal party member is the single biggest problem in this country today.
- The current and past inept Congresses and Presidents could never have been put in office if these voters would have voted for the best person for the job. Instead these voters went the party row on the ballot.
- The best person for the job is the one that puts the people ahead of the party.
- The parties make their choice of candidates to the voters, and the party wants them to represent the party and not the people. There cannot be any positive change in Washington, until the parties become responsive to the people.
- Today's voters rely and trust their party to make those choices for them, and based on the historical results, this is not a winning strategy for the people.
It would have taken several election cycles, possibly decades to train politicians that they need to represent the people and not themselves or their special interest backers.
- It could have been done and today we wouldn't be in the pathetic condition we find this country in today, which has a congress that would make herding cats easier.
- Unfortunately, it wasn't done, and it still isn't being done. This includes the Republican victory this year in Massachusetts which is just another vote for change in political parties, but not for representation of the people. The country has always flipped and flopped control from one party to the other party, but it did very little for increasing the power of the people away from the party and the special interest groups.
The voters need to change the parties to represent them above the party and the special interest groups. Until that happens, the political ineptness and the political roller coaster ride will continue to the detriment of the people.