- Politics and Social Issues»
- Middle East Political & Social Issues
Trump invites Mahmoud Abbas to White House
Oh, the number of times sadly I have watched talks after talks and nothing ever and I mean ever gets solved between the chasm nay the Grand Canyon that currently exists between Israel and Palestine.
From the time Arafat shook the hands of Israeli leaders watched over by Bill Clinton at the White House and the Oslo Agreement and beyond Israel and Palestine are an open wound that badly needs fixing for both peoples.
The problem is can peace talks even get going even if it were possible with the Palestinians apparently divided with Hamas ruling Gaza and Fatah in charge of the West Bank. Then you have the Israeli government currently to the right of Ghengis Khan with an almost Fascist like attitude to the Palestinians.
Many Palestinians have fallen out of love with Donald Trump (not saying they loved him in the first place) because in his recent meeting with Benjamin Netanyahu he appeared to move away from the Oslo Agreement. Mr Trump had a very laissez-faire attitude to Palestinian - Israel peace, in other words, anything will do as long as there is peace.
Also his mutterings about taking the American Embassy to Jerusalem instead of Tel - Aviv the world recognised capital of Israel. The problem being that if you place your embassy in Jerusalem your as good as declaring open support for Israel and shutting the door in the face of Palestinian self-determination.
Obama tried talks with the two sides and there was no agreement and ever since the peace talks have been in the deep freeze. So with Donald Trump inviting Mahmoud Abbas to Washington what can he bring to the table for peace that no other President could?
To be fair to Trump he has said at the beginning of his term in office this year and again recently for Israel to slow down or stop building on the West Bank. The West Bank in the Oslo Agreement would be part of a future Palestine living in peace and security with Israel well that's the idea anyway.
Israel for its part has made no answer and although I would hope and pray for peace between both sides I'm not holding my breath
Brief Bio of Mahmoud Abbas
1) Known also as Abu Mazen
2) Took over as President of the PLO and Palestinian Authority after Yasser Arafat's death
3) D O B: March 26, 1935
4) Born in Galilee, Mandate of Palestine in what is now Israel
5) Is based in Ramallah on the West Bank
6) Has been a political activist
7) Wrote a book on Zionisms links to Nazism
8) Has served as Palestinian Prime Minister
9) His grandchildren belong to Seeds of Peace which introduces young Palestinians to Israelis
10) Has been accused of embezzling public funds
11) Married to Amina Abbas
12) Three offspring: Mazen, Yasser and Tareq Abbas
13) Is member of the Fatah party