Universal Credit: Will Be Scrapped Under Labour.
Universal Credit was conceived as a replacement benefit for many other benefits. The idea being that this single benefit would replace a host of other benefits in the UK welfare system. Across the country, UC has been rolled out with my own area Blackpool to be one of the latest from 5 December this year.
The benefit is replacing ESA and JSA (Employment Support Allowance and Job Seekers Allowance plus other benefits) and on paper, this sounds like a good idea. However, the reality is those moving from their existing benefits onto UC are having to wait 5 weeks before they receive their first payment. Also, those applying for the benefit are also having to wait the same amount of time. Meanwhile, rent, mortgages, bills etc are piling up and leaving those waiting for their first UC payments in arrears.
Despite efforts by different groups and individuals asking the government to delay or stop UC altogether, the government has carried on with the rollout regardless.
John McDonnell Shadow Chancellor has announced that any future Labour administration would scrap the benefit. Speaking to Sky's Sophie Ridge he described UC as "not sustainable". Originally Labours position on UC was that it wanted to reform the benefit but now Labour wants to scrap entirely the troublesome benefit. John McDonnell mused that based on evidence that the party had seen about UC and its detrimental effect across the UK this was the reason for scrapping it.
John McDonnell went on that 'Universal Credit' cannot and will not be reformed under a Corbyn administration. Of course, the Tories hit back saying that it was all very well scrapping UC but what would they replace it with? John McDonnell admitted that presently his party had no idea what to replace it with. However, he said the party would hold consultations about this in the near future.
John McDonnell said he had come to the conclusion that "I think most people now are coming to the conclusion UC must be scrapped". Certainly, those supporting John McDonnell in the Labour party will hold up their hands with glee that this awful benefit will be scrapped. If McDonnell enters Number 11 Downing Street as Chancellor of the Exchequer many claimants on this evil benefit will be glad too.
John Mcdonnell in 'The Observer' attacked Theresa May for saying she was positioning the Conservative party in the centre ground. The idea is to hoover up Labour voters on the right disenchanted with Corbyn. McDonnell also highlighted May's comments in her speech about austerity finally being over. May had apparently mentioned that austerity was over twice before and with her stating it again this was the third time.
John Martin McDonnell: A Bio.
1) John Martin McDonnell born 8 Sept 1951, Liverpool.
2) Is MP for the constituency of Hayes and Harlington.
3) Chairs various left-wing groups in parliament.
4) Has said he will be the first truly socialist Labour chancellor of the UK.
5) Worked in various unskilled jobs.
6) Before being elected as MP for the above he served on the GLC (Greater London Council) between 1981 - 1986.
7) After GLC was scrapped he served as head of the policy unit for Camden Council. Served in this role between 1987 - 1997.
8) Stood as a candidate for Labour leader but withdraw in favour of Diane Abbott.
9) Was firmly against the Iraq War and nearly thrown out of the Labour party because of his links to IRA.
10) Has charted Marx, Lenin and Trotsky as political influences.
11) Married Jean Cooper from 1971 - 1987.
12) Current spouse is Cynthia Marie Pinto. The couple married in 1995.
13) Lifelong Liverpool supporter.
14) Attended Great Yarmouth Grammar school, St Josephs in Ipswich and Burnley Technical college.
15) Attended Brunel University and Birbeck University, London.