What Are Life's Greatest Contradictions?
Have you ever wondered why life for most of us seemed so much more simplistic and manageable when we were children? Well...that is because it was! A child's brain is in a development phase and not capable of comprehending the many stressors, injustices, and contradictions of daily life. However, as we age and our brain develops, these contradictions in life become glaringly obvious and troublesome. The time of innocence and sweet ignorance becomes lost and a new era of knowledge and questioning begins. Unfortunately, such inquisitiveness can potentially lead to cynicism and discontent. As humans, when we perceive double standards or contradictions we naturally become skeptical and exasperated. Consider for a moment the actual dictionary definition of the word "contradiction."
" A difference in two or more statements, ideas, stories, etc that make it impossible for both or all of them to be true." (MacMillan Dictionary)
All this being said, the natural question which arises is what are the greatest contradictions in life? Below you will find a list of surprising, curious, and dangerous daily life experiences and ideas which have the word "contradict" written all over them!
Top 10 List of Life's Contradictions.
1. We constantly strive for individuality and freedom...yet allow ourselves to be bound by the often arbitrary and conformist norms of society.
2. In a world of massive unemployment you cannot get a job without experience...yet you cannot get experience without a job.
3. From the moment of birth we struggle to survive...yet the only true certainty in life is death.
4. We spend an enormous amount of time working so we can support and be happy with our family...yet this very same work takes us far away from our loved ones.
5. The majority of people hate having to pay their taxes...yet they would never give up the critical public services such as transportation, healthcare and education which their taxes fund.
6. Technology was created to simplify our lives and make things easier...yet complicated systems, regular new updates and hacking dangers make things more complicated than ever.
7. We have created a system of pharmacology and medication designed to help us and keep people healthy...yet the abuse of medication and deadly side-effects are more serious all the time.
8. The beautiful earth provides us with everything we need for life...yet we come closer to destroying the planet everyday as we consume everything in our environment.
9. As humans, we tend to want the things we cannot have the most...yet when we have them we don't want them anymore.
10. When preparing for bloody war we will orate loudly and the most eloquently in the name of peace (Alan Moore)
Top 10 Funny Quotes About Life's Contradictions:
1. "I can resist everything but temptation." (Mark Twain)
2. "The best cure for insomnia is to get a lot of sleep." (W.C. Fields)
3. "The budget was unlimited, but I exceeded it." (Donald Trump)
4. "If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?" (George Carlin)
5. "Religion. It has given people hope in a world torn apart by religion." (Jon Stewart)
6. "I am dead, but it's not so bad. I've learned to live with it." (Isaac Marion)
7. "All generalizations are false, including this one." (Albert Einstein)
8. "Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else."
9. "It's not an optical illusion, it just looks like one." (Phil White)
10. "Good morning is a contradiction of terms." (Jim Davis)
Contradictory Proverbs and Sayings:
1. Clothes make the man.--You cannot judge a book by its cover.
2. You are never too old to learn.--You can't teach an old dog new tricks.
3. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.--Out of sight, out of mind.
4. Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.--Misery loves company.
5. Money is the root of all evil.--Money makes the world go around.
6. Do it well or not at all.--Half a loaf is better than none.
7. The early bird gets the worm.--Haste makes waste.
8. Too many cooks spoil the broth.--Many hands make light work.
9. Silence is golden.--The squeaky wheel gets the oil.
10. The pen is mightier than the sword.--Actions speak louder than words.
To contradict is essentially to deny the truth by asserting the opposite. It is often in regards to a statement or a position which someone has already made or taken. This happens every single day in virtually every walk of life. However, it also comes with a very negative perception. For instance, we have all heard about "flip-flopping" politicians who change their stance on issues as frequently as new opinion polls come out. As a population we tend to perceive this quite negatively and as opportunistic and deceitful in nature. Contrary, people who hold steadfast to their viewpoints are seen in a much more favorable light and as much more trustworthy. However, to see things in such a narrow perspective can do much more harm than good.As human beings it is very important to change our opinions and perspectives as we learn and gain new information. While this may be seen as contradictory, it is actually an enlightened and prudent approach. As with most things in life, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Perhaps Ralph Waldo Emerson said it best when he exclaimed:
"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted."