- Politics and Social Issues»
- North America Political & Social Issues
What Is Sean Spicer Doing Now?
Former White House press secretary regrets inauguration crowd size statements
Since stepping down from his six months as White House press secretary, in July 2017, 46-year-old Sean Spicer has announced that he has written a book detailing his service, The Briefing, which will be available on July 23, appeared at the Emmy Awards, and spoken with a number of media outlets, including The New York Times, MSNBC, and Good Morning America.
Sean Spicer burst into the collective consciousness of the world following the inauguration of President Donald Trump, where he contended that "news organizations had deliberately misstated the size of the crowd at Mr. Trump’s inauguration ... in an attempt to sow divisions at a time when Mr. Trump was trying to unify the country, warning that the new administration would hold them to account," as reported by The New York Times.
Speaking at the Emmys, in September 2017, the former press secretary poked fun at himself and his post-inauguration comments.
"This will be the largest audience to witness an Emmys, period. Both in person and around the world," Sean Spicer goofed, as those gathered howled with laughter.
"Of course I do, absolutely," he later admitted, when asked by the Times if he regretted his decision to criticize accurate news reports regarding the size of Trump's inauguration crowd.
Despite his willingness to accept blame with regard to crowd size, Sean Spicer continues to feel that "the stories that are being told are not an accurate representation of what President Trump went through to get the nomination, to transition to the White House and then his first six months in office," as reported by CNN.
Spicer holds up this situation as the motivation behind his book.
"I am grateful for Sean's work on behalf of my administration and the American people," Donald Trump was quoted with regard to his former press secretary. "I wish him continued success as he moves on to pursue new opportunities — just look at his great television ratings."
What is Sean Spicer doing now?
Spicer: 'swirling' narratives surrounding McCabe 'made up'
When asked if he suspects that Deputy FBI Director Andrew McCabe was "forced out," Sean Spicer expressed that such a view is "extremely premature." He explained that McCabe had already planned to retire, in March, and forwarded his belief that any "swirling" narratives stating otherwise are "made up."
MSNBC host Craig Melvin disagreed with the former press secretary and held up the fact that Andrew McCabe has been a frequent target of President Trump on Twitter.
Spicer responded that Melvin's assertion was "fair enough," but stuck firm to his view that, without clarification from Andrew McCabe, the FBI, or the president, what remains is merely "sensationalizing another pure, basic fact" and "creating false narratives."
Asked about reports that the Department of Justice sees "reason to believe" that former Trump presidential campaign foreign-policy advisor Carter Page was working as a "Russian agent" and if he believed them, Spicer chuckled as he said, "No."
He added that the advisor hadn't acted like anything "but a clown."
With regard to reports that President Trump ordered White House counsel Don McGahn to fire former FBI Director Robert Mueller, who has been appointed as special counsel of an investigation looking into possible connections between the president and Russia, Sean Spicer offered no new information. Allegedly, only McGahn's ultimatum to Trump that he would quit before fire Mueller was enough to stop the president's plan.
"There is nothing that I saw, witnessed, or was near, that suggests that that's true," Sean Spicer explained.
"Completely made up," Craig Melvin clarified.
"I didn't say it was made up," Spicer continued. "What I'm saying is that I didn't see anything in my tenure, nor did I talk to anybody during the time that I was there that witnessed anything similar to what that was."
In October 2017, Sean Spicer was interviewed by Robert Mueller's investigators, as reported by Politico.
Craig Melvin asked the former RNC communications director if he believes that Mueller's investigation into Trump is "fair."
"So far, there is nothing that I have seen, in public," he responded.
Spicer then described revelations with regard to text messages between "romantically involved" FBI agents Peter Strzok and Lisa Page, as reported by Fox News, as "concerning," but insisted that Robert Mueller and his team have not exhibited "a bias."
On Saturday, RNC Chair Rona McDaniel announced that she had accepted the resignation of Steve Wynn, the organization's former national finance committee chair, after it was revealed that, "for decades," Wynn "used his power over" employees to pressure them for sexual favors, as reported by NBC.
"Any comment at all from the DNC on #HarveyWeinstein sexual harassment or the money he gave @TheDemocrats? Has anyone in the media called?" Sean Spicer tweeted, in October 2017.
In the face of his criticism of the DNC and its connection to disgraced Hollywood executive Harvey Weinstein, Spicer was asked why he had been "quiet" with regard to Steve Wynn.
"I think I've been pretty outspoken with regard to all sexual harassment. All allegations should be taken seriously," Spicer said.
"Should the RNC return the money?" Craig Melvin asked, referring to campaign donations made by Wynn.
"Yes," replied the former press secretary. "I think the right thing to do for the Republican Party is to have the higher moral ground and say, 'We're going to return the money.'"
Sean Spicer on Andrew McCabe, Robert Mueller, and Steve Wynn
© 2018 Stephen Sinclair