Can We Live in a World Without Crime? Is It Possible?
We all carry keys, right? When was the last time you locked your home or car or inputted passwords to stop someone from hacking into our accounts?
Its because if thieves, we have to keep an eye on our belongings such as bags, phones, and of course, keys?
But that's nothing as to how crime affects us. We pay extra on a daily basis because of theft. As a result, prices are higher, and insurance premiums inflated.
How Crime Affects Us - Everyday
There are thousands of ways fraudsters and tricksters scam us, sometimes for years without us ever knowing! Being scammed or robbed can be devastating, especially when the loss of sentimental items are stolen, lives ruined by mindless criminals.
Friends, family, cleaners, the nanny and builders will steal your personal belongings. Some are "milkers", Those who steal a small amount of money from your wallets and purse for years. Just enough for you to not notice. Even shop workers who deliberately over-change or short-change you.
Criminals, as well as shop-employees, will steal stock from retail shops. Businesses become bankrupt. It makes the things we buy cost more. Then the white-collar criminals who are worth millions still feel the need to steal.
To keep us safe from the Internet fraudsters who sit at home scamming us, we need passwords, anti-virus, spyware and firewalls to prevent anyone from stealing our identities. It's absurd, and all because of greedy criminals.Then there are the fraudsters who sell fake, dangerous products without any care in the world of our health or safety, just to line their never-ending greedy pockets.
Terrorism - The World's Biggest Threat
One of the worst types of criminals are terrorists, aka cold-blooded killers who destroy lives on a daily basis. We're always being warned about the possible attacks that could happen any time.
Because of terrorism, we cannot fly to another country without invasive and intrusive X-Rays and searches. Limits and restrictions as to what we can and cannot carry through customs. Having our personal property searched for explosives or dangerous weapons has become part of our everyday life.
The police numbers have been reduced over the years when in this day and age, we need the police even more. To help combat the rise of terrorism and other serious crimes until the day comes when criminals can live a crime-free life.
War - What Is It Good For?
If there was no crime: What would happen to.
- The 11 plus million people presently imprisoned worldwide in the thousands of prisons and related institutions?
- If there was no crime, what would happen to all the guards and the staff that work in them? Will there be enough work elsewhere for everyone?
- What would happen to the manufacturers and businesses that produce concrete, iron, steel, locks, alarms and CCTV for security purposes? Would they suffer if there was no more crime?
- What would happen to the employment figures, the economy? I think It's too impossible for anyone to fully comprehend how life would be without crime.
Who is to blame for all the criminal behaviour we see today?
What is the answer? Is it really possible to live in a world without crime?
- We've had crime and wars for centuries, so how did mankind become so unkind and continue to be so? That's the billion dollar question!
- When did humans first experience guilt? Knowing right from wrong?
- What's the solution? Harsher sentences? Capital or corporal punishment? Better education? More economic fairness or just more security and prisons?
- Are the parents who lack the discipline to blame? Or does the responsibility lie with their children? Should schools, politicians and the police be more active?
- Does the glamorisation and glorification of gangsters and criminals in movies and songs does help! Or violence in computer games contributing to criminal and violent behaviour?
- Could scientists discover the part of the brain that is responsible for someone's badness and evil and could the courts be authorised to have "that part" removed for persistent offenders? Could their DNA be rewired?
- Could sophisticated technology be used to deter crime before it ever happens? Only time will tell.
So many questions and not enough answers. I doubt anyone truly has them.
Criminal Nature - The Animals
It's not just humans that are dishonest - The animal kingdom has many prolific criminals including
- Penguins who steal knowing full well they are doing something wrong.
- The great Frigatebird and Sea gulls chase other sea-birds and steal their food.
- Squirrels are extremely skilful, they knowingly steal seeds and nuts from their squirrel neighbours.
- Some species of monkeys use human-like behaviour to steal anything and everything they can get their hands/paws on.
Imagine a world where everyone was law-abiding citizens
If there were no thieves, no fraudsters, no sexual or violent attacks, no robbers, no terrorists, no murderers. Yes, that sounds magnificent. In such a world, there would be no need for the Police, Army, Airforce, Navy or any other of the hundreds and thousands of establishments relating to war and crime.
No need for security agencies like MI5, MI6 the FBI. No magistrates and Crown courts, prisons or police stations, No security guards at our airports, businesses and borders.
John Lennon - Imagine
Imagine a world where there are no assaults, neither physical nor verbal, neither sexual nor emotional. What if there was a world where our kids could play freely and safely. The elderly and vulnerable would have nothing to fear. Imagine a world without greed, people content in working hard for a living without being so materialistic and greedy, and always wanting bigger and better. A world without hate, where there's only kindness and love, where children are well protected and where countries can all get along.
Where there is no war, no poverty. A world where people don't have to suffer at the hands of the wicked, Where there are no victims ever. No people lying and dying unnecessarily and where nature alone has the right to take a life. Imagine that!
If the majority of people and society can live a crime-free life, why can't everyone? I find it impossible to comprehend a world without crime. If it was possible, what a wonderful, beautiful and richer world it would be.
Video: Louis Armstrong - What a Wonderful World
In your opinion, will crime get better or worse?
© 2012 Tony T