- Politics and Social Issues
What's New in Michigan Politics January 2012
Here's a Link to "What's New"-- February 2012
2-1-12NYTimes--Tracking Down MFGlobal's Missing Money (customer's money, that is!)
- After a Delay, MF Global's Missing Money Is Traced - NYTimes.com
While the authorities have traced hundreds of millions of dollars from MF Global, investigators do not know whether they can retrieve the money.
2-1-12FreePress--Chrysler Earns $183 Million for 2011, First Profit Since 2005
- Chrysler earns $183 million for 2011, first annual profit since 2005 | Detroit Free Press | freep.co
Chrysler said today that it earned a profit of $183 million in 2011, its first full-year profit since 2005, and an important milestone in its comeback from a 2009 bankruptcy restructuring.
1-31-12NYTimes--Romney Wins Big in Florida Primary 47% to 31% Over Gingrich
- Wide Margin Is Projected, With Gingrich in Second
Romney wins in Florida by an estimated 47% to 31% over Gingrich. Santorum and Paul lag far behind the leaders.
1-31-12FreePress--Majority Favor Mass Transit but Minority Want to Pay For It
1-31-12FreePress--Possible Accomplice in Bashara Murder Comes Forward
- Possible accomplice says he was at Jane Bashara\'s home when she was slain, source says | Detroit Fr
Police believe she was killed in her home on Middlesex. She was remembered today at a funeral attended by hundreds. A source said the alleged accomplice told police he was at the house when she was killed.
1-31-12FreePress--Auto Suppliers Yazaki, Denso and Furukawa Electric Plead Guilty to Bid Rigging, fined $748 Million
- 2 Japanese auto suppliers admit price-fixing | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Two of Japan's largest auto suppliers with operations in Michigan, Yazaki and Denso, pleaded guilty to price-fixing on electronic auto supplies and will pay $548 million in fines. Four Japanese executives from Yazaki also pleaded guilty and will serv
1-31-12NYTimes--Treasury Investigates Freddie Mack Investment Based on Preventing Mortagees from Re-financing Home Mortgages at Lower Interest Rates
- Freddie Mac Investments Under Scrutiny by Treasury Dept. - NYTimes.com
The Treasury Department is investigating whether Freddie Mac bet against refinancings by homeowners while at the same time, making refinancings difficult to obtain.
1-31-12NYTimes Warren, Michigan, Debt Collection Agency--"Asset Acceptance"--Fined $2.5 Million for Deceiving Consumers
- F.T.C. Fines A Collector Of Debt $2.5 Million - NYTimes.com
Asset Acceptance, Warren, Michigan, which buys old debts and tries to collect on them, has settled a Federal Trade Commission case charging that it deceived consumers. The civil charge of "illegal collection practices" was settled for $2.5 million.
1-31-12NYTimes--European Leaders Agree to Budget Measures
- European Leaders Agree to New Budget Discipline Measures - NYTimes.com
The bloc, however, still showed few signs of producing a comprehensive solution for the sovereign debt crisis or a credible plan to revive fragile economies.
1-31-12NYTimes OP-ED "Money Can't Buy Romney Love" Charles Blow
- Money Can't Buy Him Love - NYTimes.com
Mitt Romney may be winning votes again, but is he winning hearts?
1-28-12NYTimesMagazine "Will Israel Attack Iran?"
- Will Israel Attack Iran? - NYTimes.com
For the first time since the Iranian nuclear threat emerged, the conditions for an Israeli assault have been met.
1-31-12NYTimes--Romney Likely Victor in Florida
- Buoyant Romney Speaks of Victory in Florida - NYTimes.com
Mitt Romney is not just playing to win in Florida, but to win as big as possible, aides said, preferably by more than the margin Newt Gingrich had in the South Carolina primary.
1-31-12FreePress--Thousands Face Home Foreclosures Due to Unpaid Taxes
- Thousands facing foreclosure threat due to unpaid property taxes attend hearing at Cobo | Detroit Fr
Thousands of people came to a county hearing at Cobo Center on Monday, trying to convince the treasurer’s office to hold off on foreclosing on their properties. More delinquent taxpayers will be there Tuesday and Wednesday.
1-19-12FreePress--Drastic Measures for Detroit
- If unions won\'t budge, Detroit may have to take drastic budget measures | Detroit Free Press | free
From closing all the city's recreation centers and privatizing ambulance services to increasing bus and garbage fees to merging the health department with Wayne County's, the Detroit City Council is mulling drastic reductions to help ward off the sta
1-31-12FreePress--Bashara in Hard Luck Lounge on Mack Avenue on Night His Wife was Murdered
- Police say Bob Bashara was in bar on day wife went missing | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
The night his wife went missing, Bob Bashara spent time at a bar in a property he owns and rents out in Grosse Pointe Park, police said Monday in revealing for the first time where Bashara was the night of Jan. 24.
1-29-12FreePress--$3 billion to Stop Asian Carp
- Cheapest plan to hold back Asian carp carries $3B price tag | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
A privately funded study to be released today outlines three ways the Chicago waterways could be closed off from the Great Lakes to keep invasive species, such as Asian carp, from moving between them. The cheapest solution would cost taxpayers more t
1-31-12FreePress--Opinion--Time to Talk and Really Listen About Guns" Leonard Pitts
- Leonard Pitts Jr.: Time to talk -- and really listen -- about guns | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
In a democracy, nothing is supposed to matter more than the will of the people. So it was painful to watch last week as the will of the people was overturned and one of Arizona's duly elected representatives was forced from office. It wasn't a recall
1-29-12NYTimes "Newt Gingrich and the Future of the American Right" Thomas Edsall
- Newt Gingrich and the Future of the Right - NYTimes.com
What do the highs and lows of Gingrich's candidacy tell us about where the Republican Party might be headed?
1-29-12FreePress--Living like Prince Fielder: How to survive on a measly $214 million
- Living like Prince Fielder: How to survive on a measly $214 million | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Every time I buy a lottery ticket, I dream about buying a boat and traveling around the Great Lakes, and building an indoor baseball field for my boys and a dance studio for my daughter, and my wife can have anything she wants (OK, that's just blatan
1-29-12FreePress--UAW-GM Negotiations Resume Monday at Fairfax, Kansas, Malibu Assembly Plant
- UAW, GM contract talks at key plant resume Monday | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Negotiations are to resume Monday between the UAW and General Motors for a new local contract at a Kansas assembly plant, a UAW official said. The resumption of talks comes after employees at the plant authorized their union leaders to call a strike.
1-29-12FreePress EDITORIAL "Michigan Cities Need Fresh Financing Ideas, not Revenue Cuts
- Editorial: Michigan cities need fresh financing ideas, not revenue cuts | Detroit Free Press | freep
Gov. Rick Snyder's plan to repeal or reduce a personal property tax paid by businesses could cost local governments and schools nearly $1 billion a year. Local governments, of course, want guaranteed replacement funding. With communities already faci
1-29-12NYTimes OP-ED "The Austerity Debacle" Paul Krugman
- The Austerity Debacle. - NYTimes.com
Look at Britain to see the tragic effects of a bad idea...Nor is Britain unique. Italy is doing worse than in the 1930s, and with Spain clearly headed for a double-dip recession, that makes 3 of Europe’s big 5 economies members of the worse than club
1-28-12NYTimes OP-ED "The Real Legacy of Newt Gingrich" Gail Collins
- The Real Legacy of Newt Gingrich - NYTimes.com
The public doesn’t mind misbehavior. It’s the other politicians who care.
1-28-12FreePress--Sinking Gitrich Might be Sunk in Florida
- Sinking Gingrich might be sunk in Florida | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Florida may be Newt Gingrich's Waterloo. After storming into the state with a head of steam from a surprising win in South Carolina's Jan. 21 primary, Gingrich's support has waned, and polls now suggest that he could lose in Florida on Tuesday -- and
1-28-12NYTimes--The Calculations that Put Romney on the Warpath
- The Calculations That Led Romney to the Warpath - NYTimes.com
In the hours after Mitt Romney’s double-digit loss to Newt Gingrich in the South Carolina primary, the Romney team outlined a new aggressive approach to deal with Gingrich.
1-28-12NYTimes "Higher Taxes Help the Wealthy, Too" Robert H. Frank
- Higher Taxes Help the Richest, Too - Economic View - NYTimes.com
Letting tax cuts expire would have little effect on the wealthiest Americans’ spending but would give them better roads and cleaner air...So when the anti-tax wealthy make campaign contributions,they're buying deeper pot holes and dirtier air...
1-28-12NYTimes--"It Has a Fancy Name, But Will it Get Tough?" Gretchen Morgenson
- Mortgage Task Force Has Fancy Name, but Will It Get Tough? - NYTimes.com
President Obama’s new task force has much to tackle in the mortgage mess — and soon, if it wants to allay suspicions that the authorities have given powerful institutions a pass.
1-30-12TheNewYorker "Private Inequity" James Surowiecki
- How Private Equity Firms Like Bain Capital Earn Profits : The New Yorker
The reason we should be concerned about private equity’s power is the way these firms have become adept at using financial gimmicks to line their pockets, deriving enormous wealth not from mgt. or investing, but from the way the tax system works.
1-27-12The New Yorker--"What Debt Did for Romney" James Surowiecli
- Comment: What Debt Did for Romney : The New Yorker
The most interesting line in the G.O.P.’s official response to the State of the Union address was Mitch Daniels’s assertion that the United States is in big trouble because “no entity, large or small, public or private, can thrive,...
1-27-12NYTimes OP-ED "Banks Taketh But Don't Giveth" Delia Ephron
- Banks Taketh, but Don’t Giveth - NYTimes.com
The banks that are engaged in a Manhattan land grab seem to be in the business of taking our money but not in the business of giving it back.
1-27-12NYTimes--Close Ties to Goldman Sachs Enrich Romney's Public and Private Lives
- Close Ties to Goldman Enrich Romney’s Public and Private Lives - NYTimes.com
Goldman Sachs, which manages Mitt Romney’s family’s fortune, is also his largest source of campaign contributions.
1-27-12NewsMax--Palin: Newt Crucified by Romney Allies, GOP Establishment
- Sarah Palin: Newt \'Crucified\' By Romney Allies, GOP Establishment
Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin said Thursday that Newt Gingrich is being “crucified” by the Republican establishment, Democrats and the liberal media who are trying to rewrite his record with a barrage of negative attacks.
1-27-12FreePress--GOP Insiders Cut Newt Back Down to Size
- GOP insiders arise to cut Newt Gingrich back down to size | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Republican insiders are stepping up to cut GOP presidential candidate Newt Gingrich down, testament to the GOP establishment's fear that the mercurial candidate could lead the party to disaster this fall.
1-27-12FreePress--Governor Appoints Emergency Manager for Highland Park Schools
- Governor appoints emergency manager for Highland Park School District | Detroit Free Press | freep.c
Gov. Rick Snyder appointed Friday a former chief financial officer for the U.S. Department of Education to oversee the financially troubled Highland Park School District as its emergency manager. Jack Martin, a certified public accountant who is part
1-27-12FreePress--Poll: Michigan Voters Wary of Legalizing Marijuana
- Poll: Michigan voters wary of legalizing marijuana | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Taxing Internet sales is acceptable to most Michiganders, but legalizing marijuana is not, according to a Free Press/WXYZ-TV (Channel 7) poll. Respondents to the poll by EPIC-MRA of Lansing supported the imposition of Michigan's 6% sales tax on onlin
1-27-12FreePress--Husband is "Person of Interest" in Grosse Pointe Park Woman's Slaying
- Husband is \'person of interest\' in wife\'s slaying, Grosse Pointe Park police say | Detroit Free P
Police called the husband of a slain Grosse Pointe Park woman a 'person of interest' in her death Friday as they spent about four hours searching the couple's home. Police said Bob Bashara is cooperating with the murder investigation, and he has not
1-27-12FreePress--UAW Local Strike Vote at GM's Fairfax, Kansas, Assembly Plant
- UAW workers authorize GM strike in Kansas | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Workers at a General Motors assembly plant in Kansas have voted in favor of authorizing a strike.
1-28-12FreePress--Ford Has Most Profitable Year Since 1998
- Ford has most profitable year since \'98, yet investors remain wary | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Success in North America fueled Ford's most profitable year since 1998, but fourth-quarter losses and uncertainty in Europe and Asia spooked the market Friday. Investors worried whether Ford's European business is truly on the mend -- or is the 'One
President Obama Gets a Warm Welcome at University of Michigan
1-27-12NYTimes--"Romney Paid More than He Owed in Taxes" Floyd Norris
- As It Happens, Romney Paid More Taxes Than He Owed - High & Low Finance - NYTimes.com
The tax code of the United States is far too complicated, if the errors in Republican Mitt Romney’s tax returns are any indication.
1-27-12NYTimes--Ford Posts 3rd Straight Annual Profit
- Ford Posts Third-Straight Annual Profit - NYTimes.com
The automaker’s earnings for 2011 were the largest in 13 years after a one-time gain in the fourth quarter.
1-27-12NYTimes--US Economy Continued to Grow in 2011 4th Quarter
- U.S. Recovery Slowly Gained Speed in Late ’11, Data Show - NYTimes.com
The American economy picked up steam last quarter, with output growing at an annualized rate of 2.8 percent, a faster rate than the 1.8 percent of the third quarter.
1-27-12FreePressEDITORIAL--Court Rightly Requires Warrant for GPS Surveillance
- Editorial: Court rightly requires warrants for GPS tracking of suspects | Detroit Free Press | freep
Since the 1980s, civilians around the world have been using 24 satellites originally placed into orbit by the U.S. Department of Defense for navigational aid in everything from locating the nearest Starbucks to plotting the most efficient route for a
1-27-12FreePress--Obama Leads Romney and Gingrich in Michigan
- Obama leads 2 GOP contenders in state as better economy helps cut Romney\'s lead | Detroit Free Pres
President Barack Obama heads to an event in Ann Arbor today holding a clear lead in the state over the two Republicans with the best chance to block his re-election in November.
1-27-11NYTimes Opinion "Deconstructing a Demagogue" Timothy Eagan
- Deconstructing a Demagogue - NYTimes.com
Over four decades, Newt Gingrich has perfected the politics of personal destruction.
1-27-12NYTimes OP-ED--"Jobs, Jobs and Cars" Paul Krugman
- Jobs, Jobs and Cars - NYTimes.com
Gov. Mitch Daniels got so much wrong in his reply to the president’s State of the Union address. To really create jobs, it takes a cluster, not just heroes.
Prejudice, Social Conservatism Linked to Low I.Q.
- Low IQ & Conservative Beliefs Linked to Prejudice | Racism, Bias & Politics | Right-Wing and
Low-intelligence children are more likely to be racist adults, a controversial link explained by the simplified world view offered by extremism.
1-26-12NYTimes "Why Evangelicals Don't Like Mormons"
- Why Evangelicals Don't Like Mormons - NYTimes.com
Evangelical concerns about Mitt Romney's faith ultimately say more about the insecurities of the establishment denominations than about Mormonism itself.
1-26-12FreePress--GM Defends Volt as Congress Asks Questions
- GM defends Volt as Congress asks questions about battery fires | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
With newspaper ads, TV spots and its chairman testifying candidly to Congress, General Motors began Wednesday to undo any damage done to the Chevrolet Volt's reputation after battery fires threatened to turn the iconic hybrid car into a political foo
1-26-12FreePress--15,000 New Jobs in Michigan?
- Auto boom: 15,000 new jobs in Michigan? | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Automotive jobs are coming back, especially in Michigan, but no one expects to see the peak of 2000 anytime soon, if ever again. The U.S. new vehicle market is expected to grow 41% from 2010 to 2015, forecasting firm IHS Automotive says. That's secon
1-26-12FreePress EDITORIAL--"At Long Last Michigan Lawmakers Confront Crumbling Roads"
- Editorial: At long last, Michigan lawmakers confront crumbling roads | Detroit Free Press | freep.co
For more than a decade, governors and legislators from both parties have looked the other way as Michigan's highways and roads deteriorated to dangerous extremes.
1-26-12NYTimes EDITORIAL--A Mortgage Investigation Promised by Obama
- A Mortgage Investigation - NYTimes.com
President Obama has promised a full inquiry into the mortgage meltdown. Could this finally lead to clear results that hold those who broke the law accountable?
1-26-12NYTimes "In China Human Costs Built Into the I-Pad"
- Apple’s iPad and the Human Costs for Workers in China - NYTimes.com
A staggering manufacturing system in China has made it possible for Apple and other companies to make devices almost as quickly as they can be dreamed up, but for workers, it can be dangerous.
1-26-12FreePress--"Sorry, Newt, but 1962 is History" Brian Dickerson
- Brian Dickerson: Sorry, Newt, but 1962 is history | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
'The American people feel that they have elites who have been trying for a half century to force us to try to quit being American and become some kind of other system.'
1-26-12FreePress--Donations for 101-year-old Detroit Woman Evicted from Her Home
- Donations roll in for 101-year-old Detroit woman who was evicted | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
A fund has been created for a 101-year-old Detroit woman evicted by a HUD foreclosure. A St.Clair Shores company volunteered to build a wheelchair ramp at the home where Texana Hollis is living. Send donations to Texana Hollis, Box 4270, Det. 48204.
1-25-12NYTimes Magazine "Will Israel Attack Iran?"
- Will Israel Attack Iran? - NYTimes.com
When I said to Barak the opinion of former Mossad chief Dagan & former chief of staff Ashkenazi — that the Iranian threat wasn't as imminent as he and Netanyahu have claimed and that a military strike would be catastrophic, he reacted with anger.
1-25-12NYTimes--Fed Says it Will Keep Interest Rates Near Zero Through Late 2014
- Fed to Maintain Rates Near Zero Through Late 2014 - NYTimes.com
The Federal Reserve said it was not likely to raise interest rates until the end of 2014, adding 18 months to the expected duration of its response to the slump.
1-25-12NYTimes--Obama Urges Tougher Laws on Bankster Fraud
- Obama Urges Tougher Laws on Financial Fraud - NYTimes.com
President Obama’s State of the Union proposals acknowledge public frustration that few financial executives were prosecuted after the crisis and banks have been routinely allowed to settle with boiler plate "without admitting nor denying guilt."
1-25-12Connecticut Police Gang Terrorized Latinos
- East Haven, Conn., Police Officers Accused of Mistreating Latinos - NYTimes.com
Three East Haven police officers and their supervisor were charged with beating and harassing Latinos, trying to cover up their actions and thwarting efforts to investigate their conduct.
1-25-12NYTimes--Text of State of Union Speech
- President Obama’s 2012 State of the Union Speech - Interactive Feature - NYTimes.com
In his election-year State of the Union address, President Obama set forth a long list of domestic economic proposals. Watch his speech and follow along with fact checks and analysis from Times reporters.
1-25-12NYTimes EDITORIAL--State of the Union 2012
- The State of the Union in 2012 - NYTimes.com
The United States is slowly recovering, but still struggling, and it is still in need of government action and strong political leadership.
1-25-12NYTimes--Obama Emphasis on Fair Taxation Aimed at Romney
- Obama Sets Sights on Romney in State of the Union - NYTimes.com
The president used his State of the Union address to draw a bright economic line between himself and Mitt Romney.
1-25-12FreePress--Excerpts of State of the Union Speech
- Excerpts of President Barack Obama\'s State of the Union address | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
We got workers and automakers to settle their differences. We got the industry to retool and restructure. Today, General Motors is back on top as the world's No. Chrysler has grown faster in the U. Ford is investing billions in U. And together, the e
1-25-12FreePress--22-year Old Charged in Commerce Township Shooting
- 22-year-old arrested in Commerce Twp. house-party shooting | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
The shooting initially appeared to be an accident, but police said witnesses later told them that Robert Lanzilotti intended to scare Cameron Bock,19, when the gun went off. [More effective hand gun control laws and better enforcement are needed.]
1-25-12FreePress--Former State Rep Mary Waters to Run for Congress in 14th District Democratic Primary Against Hansen Clark and Gary Peters
- Former state Rep. Mary Waters says she\'s running for Congress | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
The new 14th Congressional District snakes for 55 miles through demographically diverse cities in Wayne and Oakland counties.
1-25-11FreePress--Detroit to Lose $8.5 Million Due to State Law Requiring Cut in Income Tax Rate
- Cash-strapped Detroit to lose $8.5M under state law requiring cut in income tax rate | Detroit Free
The financially strapped City of Detroit must cut its income tax take by $8.5 million beginning July 1, effectively adding to a deficit that puts the city in peril of a takeover by a state-appointed emergency manager.
1-25-12NYTimes EDITORIAL--Absolutely No Excuse for Police Training Film
- Hateful Film - NYTimes.com
There is absolutely no excuse for the New York Police Department’s decision to show a film about Muslims to more than 1,400 city police officers.
1-24-12NYTimes--New York City PoliceTraining Film Maligns American Muslims
- In Police Training, a Dark Film on U.S. Muslims - NYTimes.com
“The Third Jihad,” a film that cast a very harsh light on American Muslims, was shown to many more New York officers than was first believed.
1-23-12NYT EDITORIAL--"The Power Broker"
- The Power Broker - NYTimes.com
Newt Gingrich’s tax returns show how much can be made peddling influence and access to the leadership in Washington.
1-24-12NYT OP-Ed "Free Market Socialism" David Brooks
- Free-Market Socialism - NYTimes.com
In his State of the Union address, here’s hoping President Obama promotes policies that will help more people realize the American dream.
1-24-12NYT OP-ED "The Gusts of Gingrich" Frank Bruni
- The Gusts of Gingrich - NYTimes.com
The candidate hasn’t grown careful, and it doesn’t seem to be hurting him.
1-24-12NYT OP-ED--"Living in Fear of the NCAA" Joe Nocera
- Living in Fear of the N.C.A.A. - NYTimes.com
In the saga of Ryan Boatright, Part II, more evidence of how the N.C.A.A. wrecks careers, ignores due process and punishes the innocent.
1-24-12NYTimes--Gingrich SuperPac Gets Another $5million Infusion from Adelson
- ‘Super PAC’ for Gingrich to Get $5 Million Infusion - NYTimes.com
Dr. Miriam Adelson, the wife of Sheldon Adelson, is a longtime Gingrich friend and patron who contributed $5 million to the super PAC, Winning Our Future, this month.
1-24-12NYTimes--Romney Tax Returns Show 2-year $45 million 2-year Income, 14 % tax
- Romney Tax Returns Show $45 Million Income - NYTimes.com
Details about Mitt Romney's taxes and income suggest the breadth of his wealth and income.
1-24-12Troy's Mayor and City Manager in a Tiff
- Troy\'s mayor, city manager exchange words | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
There's no love lost between Troy Mayor Daniels and City Manager John Szerlag. 2 weeks ago in a speech to the Council, Daniels unleashed a string of barbs that included the entire staff but were aimed at City Mgr. Szerlag. He fired back today.
1-24-12FreePress--Detroit Council President Pugh Won't Run for Re-election
- Council President Charles Pugh: Considering run for mayor, other office | Detroit Free Press | freep
Detroit City Council President Charles Pugh said he is not vying for re-election, but is considering running for mayor or other elected office.
1-24-12FreePress "As He Prepares for College Michigan Teen Carries Baggage Few Students Do"
- As he prepares for college, Michigan teen carries baggage few students do | Detroit Free Press | fre
When he was just 9, Marcus Buggs became a man. It's not that he wanted to. He had to. Up until that point, he was living what he says was a typical childhood in Flint. It wasn't the best environment. There were drug dealers and thieves -- the kind of
1-24-12FreePressEDITORIAL--Lansing Casino a Bad Bet for Michigan
- Editorial: Lansing casino would be a lousy bet for Michigan | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
As only the most recent arrivals in the long line of players looking for a piece of Michigan's casino gambling action, Lansing and Mayor Virg Bernero should know better.
1-24-12FreePress--Snyder: "Highland Park Schools in Jeopardy of Closing"
- Highland Park schools \'in jeopardy of closing,\' Snyder tells parents | Detroit Free Press | freep.
As Highland Park schools officials pleaded their case against an emergency manager to officials in Lansing on Friday, Gov. Rick Snyder sent a letter to the district's parents informing them that without state intervention there would be no district b
1-24-12FreePress--UAW Strike Vote at GM Kansas City Assembly Plant
- UAW contract talks hit snag at GM plant in Kansas | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
A UAW local at General Motors' Fairfax, Kan., plant will hold a strike authorization vote Thursday after workers rejected a local labor contract last Friday. About 66% of production workers and 58% of skilled-trades workers voted against the proposed
1-23-12NYTimes OP-ED "Is Our Economy Healing?" Paul Krugman
- Is Our Economy Healing? - NYTimes.com
There is a case for modest optimism.
1-23-12NYTimesEditorial "Gingrich's Deceptions"
- Newt Gingrich’s Deceptions - NYTimes.com
He won the South Carolina Republican primary by acting the anti-establishment rebel.
1-23-12NYTimes OP-ED--"Bomb!Bomb!Bomb! Iran" Bill Keller
- Bomb-Bomb-Bomb, Bomb-Bomb-Iran? - NYTimes.com
It’s an election year, and testosterone is in the air.
1-23-12NYTimes--Gingrich and Romney Trade Jabs
- Gingrich and Romney Trade Jabs as G.O.P. Race Rolls On - NYTimes.com
Mitt Romney, facing a restive Republican Party, on Monday warned of the prospect of an “October surprise” if Newt Gingrich emerged as the party’s presidential nominee.
1-22-12NYTimes--More Lockouts as Companies Battle Unions
- Lockouts, Once Rare, Put Workers on the Defensive - NYTimes.com
Many Americans know about the highly publicized lockouts in professional sports. But they are increasingly imposed in less visible industries as well.
1-23-12FreePressEDITORIAL--Ficano Owes the Public an Explanation
- Editorial: Ficano owes public an explanation, too | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Ordinarily, it's good enough when public officials are accused of misconduct in a lawsuit for them to keep mum about the details, citing the need to refrain from comment on litigation.
1-23-12NYTimesEDITORIAL--Dissent on the Jobs Council
- Dissent in the Jobs Council - NYTimes.com
Labor representatives are rightly pushing back against a Republican-oriented agenda of less regulation and lower corporate tax rates.
1-22-12FreePress EDITORIAL "State of Disunion Obama Must Make Divided Government Work"
- Editorial: State of disunion: President Obama must make divided government work | Detroit Free Press
The conventional wisdom is that the final year of Barack Obama's first term will be a continuation of the partisan stalemate that left voters across the political spectrum suspended somewhere between despair and disgust as 2011 wheezed to a close.
1-22-12NYTimes "Hazard Insurance With It's Own Perils" Gretchen Morgenson
- Hazard Insurance With Its Own Perils - Fair Game - NYTimes.com
A costly type of coverage, imposed on home buyers who have let insurance lapse, is the subject of a widening investigation in New York State. [It's about time they looked into this sleazy bankster practice!!!]
Evangelical Doubts About Gingrich
"In fact there has been an aggressive response from religious men, too. Jason (Molotov) Mitchell, a Christian television producer who has linked Obama to Nazism, released a video in which he accused Gingrich--'the Kim Kardashian of the G.O.P.'--of being 'the walking , talking definition of untrustworthy,' sneered at Callista for being 'quite the missionary,' and asserted that 'Newt and Callista are the last role models we want our sons and daughters looking up to.'"
"The third wife doesn't get to be the first lady." Penny Nance, president of Concerned Women for America.
Mike Huckabee: "I hear from friends who are conservative women who say, 'I will not vote for Newt Gingrich.' I say why? 'He's walked out on two wives.'"
The New Yorker, January 23, 2012.
1-22--12NYTimes OP-ED "The Dangerous Notion that Debt Doesn't Matter" Steven Rattner
- The Dangerous Notion That Debt Doesn’t Matter - NYTimes.com
Government borrowing is still debt that must eventually be paid off, just as we were taught in introductory economics.
1-22-12NYTimes Opinionater "What we Give up for Health Care" Ezekiel J. Emanuel
- What We Give Up for Health Care - NYTimes.com
If liberals care about middle-class salaries, public education and other state-funded services, they need to care about controlling health care costs as much as conservatives do.
1-22-12NYtimes OP-Ed "A Good Candidate is Hard to Find" Ross Douthat
- A Good Candidate Is Hard to Find - NYTimes.com
In both parties, there is a long tradition of underwhelming nominees.
1-22-12NYtimes--Exit Poll Tells Story of Gingrich Win in South Carolina
- Gingrich Wins Broad Support in South Carolina - NYTimes.com
Newt Gingrich fared well among men and women, conservative Christians and Catholics and Tea Party supporters, an exit survey showed.
1-22-12NYtimes--Gingrich Wins in South Carolina Primary
- Gingrich Wins South Carolina Primary - NYTimes.com
Newt Gingrich’s showing brought to the fore questions about whether Mitt Romney, presumed the front-runner, could win over conservatives, Tea Party supporters and evangelical Christians.
Gingrich's Open Marriage Proposition
1-21-12FreePress--Legalize Marijuana, Don't Criticize it Proponents Say
- Legalize it, don\'t criticize it, marijuana proponents say | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
They wore suits and ties and said they hope to raise $1,000 apiece from 1,000 people -- $1 million dollars -- while gathering 322,609 signatures by July 9 as the first step toward legalizing marijuana in Michigan.
1-21-12DaytonBusinessJournal--Tax Group Names "Dirty Thirty" Companies that Spent More on Lobbying Than They Paid in Taxes"
- Tax group names \'Dirty Thirty\' companies - Dayton Business Journal
U.S. Public Interest Research Group and Citizens for Tax Justice has released a list of 30 corporations that spent more to lobby Congress than they did in taxes.
1-21-12CommonDreams "Everything You Need to Know About Wall Street in One Brief Tale"
- Everything You Need to Know About Wall Street, in One Brief Tale | Common Dreams
The traders were double-dipping-getting paid twice on the deal. How was it possible? Once the security was sold, they had no legal claim to get cash back from the bad loans-that claim belonged to bond investors-they did so anyway and kept the money.
1-21-12NYTimes--"In Fire Investigation, Regulatyors Say they found No Defect in Chevy Volt"
- In Fire Investigation, Regulators Say They Found No Defect in Volt - NYTimes.com
A federal review concludes that modifications planned by General Motors in the plug-in hybrid car are sufficient to reduce the risk of a fire after a severe crash.
1-21-12NYTimes OP-ED "Opening Newt's Marriage" Susan Collins
- Opening Newt’s Marriage - NYTimes.com
Thanks to Newt Gingrich, sex was very much on the minds of South Carolina voters this week.
1-21-12NYTimes OP-ED "Newt's Southern Strategy" Charles Blow
- Newt’s Southern Strategy - NYTimes.com
His plan seems to be to appeal to an ugly, gut-level anger and animosity among a sizable portion of the Republican electorate.
1-21-12FreePress--Snyder Won't Tackle Right to Work Law Issue
- Gov. Rick Snyder won\'t tackle right-to-work debate | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
If Republican lawmakers in Lansing hope to pass anti-union right-to-work legislation in Michigan this year, they shouldn't expect any help from Gov. Rick Snyder.
1-21-12FreePress--Snyder Committed to Growing Detroit Not Just Cutting Deficit
- Gov. Rick Snyder says he\'s committed to growing Detroit, not just cutting deficit | Detroit Free Pr
Reaffirming his commitment to breathing new life into Detroit, Gov. Rick Snyder said Friday that an emergency manager alone won't revive the city without additional investments in transit, education, roads, public lighting and jobs. 'You can't cut yo
1-21-12FreePress--Gasoline Tax Increase Coming?
- Price of gas, vehicle registration fees would go up under new legislation | Detroit Free Press | fre
Legislation to be introduced at the state Capitol next week would boost the price of gasoline by about 9 cents a gallon and increase the average motor vehicle registration fee by about $60 a year, officials said Friday.
1-21-12NYTimes--Is U.S. Health Spending Finally Under Control? [Not Likely!]
- Uwe E. Reinhardt: Is U.S. Health Spending Finally Under Control? - NYTimes.com
At some point, we may reasonably assume, spending on health care will not increase faster than gross domestic product, an economist writes. [Comment: Not likely!]
1-21-12NYTimes--After On-line Firestorm Congress Shelves Anti-Piracy Bill
- After an Online Firestorm, Congress Shelves Antipiracy Bills - NYTimes.com
The Protect I.P. Act and the Stop Online Piracy Act began with broad bipartisan support, but now further action on them this year seems unlikely.
1-21-12NYTimes--Blacks Face Bias in Bankruptcy Proceedings
- Blacks Face Bias in Bankruptcy, Study Suggests - NYTimes.com
A new survey found that lawyers were more likely to steer whites to Chapter 7 of the bankruptcy code and blacks to the more expensive Chapter 13.
1-20-12NYTimes EDITORIAL--Moralizing's High Cost
- Moralizing’s High Cost - NYTimes.com
Newt Gingrich can’t escape the toxic combination of infidelity and sermonizing. He seeks forgiveness yet tries to tell Americans how to run their lives. [Hypocrisy unlimited?? Chutzpah Champion??]
1-20-12Salon.com--"The Power of Conservative Victimhood"
- The power of conservative victimhood - Opening Shot - Salon.com
It took Newt about five minutes to steal the show at the final pre-South Carolina debate
1-20-12NYTimes OP-ED--"Taxes at the Top" Paul Krugman
- Taxes at the Top - NYTimes.com
As Mitt Romney dances around calls for him to release his tax returns, a question about U.S. tax policy comes up: Why do the rich bear a startlingly light tax burden?
1-20-12NYTimes "Unearned and Taxed Unequally" Floyd Norris
- Investment Income Hasn’t Always Had Tax Advantages - NYTimes.com
In the United States, dividends and capital gains are taxed at lower rates than wages, but that has not always been the case.
1-20-12NYTimes OP-ED Religion Amok
- Ultra-Orthodox Jews and the Modesty Fight - NYTimes.com
Jewish law holds men responsible for controlling their licentious thoughts about women.
1-20-12 MSNBC--New Jobless Claims Drop Sharply to 4-year Low
- Bottom Line - Jobless claims drop to near four-year low
New applications for unemployment benefits dropped to near a four-year low in the latest week, government data showed Thursday, providing further evidence that the U.S.
1-20-12FreePress--Snyder Says Michigan Should Put More Money into Schools
- Gov. Rick Snyder says state should put more money into schools | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
After complaints that his second State of the State address was short on specifics, Gov. Rick Snyder told the Free Press on Thursday that he's going to invest more state money in public schools in the coming year and press the Legislature to find a b
1-20-11FreePress--Oakland GOP Goes Ahead With Re-districting Despite Legal Challenge from Dems
1-20-12FreePress--GM is Again Number One in World Auto Sales
- GM is world\'s largest automaker once more | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
It's official. General Motors is again the world's largest automaker with global sales of 9.03 million vehicles in 2011. That was 11% higher than Volkswagen, which last week reported 2011 global sales of 8.16 million.
1-20-12FreePressEDITORIAL--A Tiny Box Can Slam the Door on Ex-offenders
- Editorial: A tiny box can unfairly slam doors on ex-offenders | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Nearly 1.3 million people in Michigan -- one in six adults -- have felony convictions that leave them at a lifelong disadvantage when it comes to finding jobs and housing or getting an education.
1-19-12NYTimes Dealbook--Kodak Files for Bankruptcy
- Eastman Kodak Files for Bankruptcy - NYTimes.com
Eastman Kodak filed for bankruptcy protection on Thursday, but the 131-year-old film pioneer says it plans to continue its operations.
1-19-12FreePress--Study Concludes Toyota's Sudden Acceleration Was Not an Electronic Malfunction
- Study confirms that Toyota unintended acceleration issue was not an electronic malfunction | Detroit
Another study released Wednesday confirmed last year's finding by government safety regulators that unintended acceleration in Toyota vehicles was not caused by electronic malfunctions. But the lengthy analysis, conducted by the National Academy of S
1-19-12NYTimes EDITORIAL--PIPA and SOPA Over-reach
- Online Piracy and Political Overreach - NYTimes.com
We are happy that the drive to pass antipiracy legislation has slowed enough that Congress might actually consider all its implications carefully.
1-19-12NYTimes OP-ED--"The False Ideals of the Web" Jaron Lanier
- SOPA Boycotts and the False Ideals of the Web - NYTimes.com
The keepers of the flame of free speech are banishing people for their speech.
1-19-12NYTimes--"Mister One Percent"--Romney's Riches and Cayman Investments Seen as a Hurdle
- Romney Riches Are Being Seen as New Hurdle - NYTimes.com
With a fortune estimated to be as large as a quarter of a billion dollars, Mitt Romney is among the wealthiest men ever to run for president.
1-19-12FreePress--Good News for Ford Salaried Workers--bonuses and merit raises reinstated
- 20,000 Ford salaried workers get both raise, bonus | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Ford salaried workers will receive both merit raises and bonuses this spring for the first time since 2008, reflecting the automaker's growing financial strength. Letters went out last week to about 20,000 salaried workers around the world with the g
1-19-11FreePress--Union Busting at U of M
- U-M group says graduate student\'s dismissal is a union-busting effort | Detroit Free Press | freep.
The dismissal of University of Michigan graduate student Jennifer Dibbern from her research position -- which she claims is tied to her role in a unionization effort -- is just the tip of the anti-union iceberg at U-M, union officials charged Wednesd
Governor Snyder's State of the State Address
No surprises in Gov. Snyder's State of the State address. He was his usual, genial, conciliatory, positive self. He took credit for reducing unnecessary, burdensome regulations, the decline in unemployment, and removal of the cap on charter schools. He pledged to proceed on the international bridge despite the lack of support from Republicans in the legislature, stating that it was a jobs issue, not just a bridge issue.
1-19-12NYTimes--Perry Dropping Out Before SC Primary
- Perry to End Bid for Presidency - NYTimes.com
Gov. Rick Perry of Texas is poised to end his bid for the Republican presidential nomination, according to two Republicans
1-19-12FreePress EDITORIAL--What Does Snyder Want?
- Editorial: What does Snyder want? SOS provides few clues | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Good fortune seems to be smiling on Gov. Rick Snyder, whose State of the State speech Wednesday came on the heels of relentlessly positive news.
1-19-12FreePress--Tom Walsh: Snyder Light on the Details
- Tom Walsh: Snyder\'s a little short on specifics to solve state\'s problems | Detroit Free Press | f
Year One of the Rick Snyder era in Michigan, as the governor stated at the opening of his 52-minute State of the State speech, delivered encouraging numbers. A jobless rate of 9.3% at year-end, down from 11.2% at the start of 2011. The out-migration
1-18-12NYTimes EDITORIAL--Gingrich and Santorum Take the Low Road Fomenting Divisiveness in South Carolina
- Preaching Division in South Carolina - NYTimes.com
Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum eagerly took the low road in the Republican debate on Monday night by stirring up racial animosity.
1-18-12FreePress--Auto Fuel Economy Hearing In Detroit
- UAW speaks up for 54.5-m.p.g. national fuel-economy rule at Detroit hearing | Detroit Free Press | f
U.S. Rep. John Dingell, D-Mich., opened a public hearing in Detroit today on proposed new fuel economy and greenhouse gas emissions standards.
1-18-12FreePress--Time for a Recall of Troy Mayor Daniels??
- Letters: Troy Mayor Janice Daniels is a lesson for voters | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Kudos on your apt and accurate description of Troy Mayor Janice Daniels in your Jan. 11 editorial. However, before coming down too hard on Troy voters, this is an opportunity to point out a weakness in nonpartisan elections.
1-18-12FreePress--Transit Center Approved on 4-3 Vote in Troy
- Embattled transit center wins OK in Troy | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
With last month's endorsement by Gov. Rick Snyder of a proposed transit center filed in their briefing packets, members of the Troy City Council voted Tuesday night to approve a scaled-down version of the controversial project they blocked last month
1-17-12--"The Last Word With Lawrence O'Donnell" Reports that the "Pimps and Prostitutes Coalition" is Endorsing Ron Paul for President
As if Stephen Colbert's SuperPac doesn't provide enough humor to the current shootout for the Republican nomination, Lawrence O'Donnell reported tonight that the Pimps and Prostitutes Coalition has endorsed Ron Paul for the nomination. Dennis Hof, proprietor of the Midnight Bunny Ranch in Nevada, who appeared with two of his "bunnies" on O'Donnell's show said "We're pimpin' for Paul." Cami Parker, former Hustler centerfold, and Caressa Kisses said they believe Paul will do a wonderful job for the country because he supports states rights for drugs and prostitution and because he "wants to keep the Internet free."
1-17-12NYTimes--Affirmative Action Foe Ward Connerly Accused of Sticky Fingers with Contribution Funds
- Ward Connerly Faces Allegations of Fiscal Misdoing - NYTimes.com
Ward Connerly is facing accusations from a former ally that he mismanaged — and exploited for his own benefit — donations made by fellow conservatives.
1-17-12AnnArbor.com--Occupiers Protest Snyder's Emergency Manager Law
- Rick Snyder protesters: \'We don\'t want our elected officials to be unilaterally dismissed\'
As hundreds of marchers demonstrated outside the gates of Gov. Rick Snyder's private residence near Ann Arbor, loudly chanting in protest of Michigan's emergency manager law, the Rev. Charles E. Williams II had a quiet conversation with the governor'
1-17-12NYtimes EDITORIAL--"Banking Online is Convenient, but How Safe?"
- Banking Online Is Convenient, but How Secure? - NYTimes.com
Banks have gotten better at preventing online fraud, but criminals aren’t giving up. So financial institutions need to do a lot more to increase protections.
1-17-12NYTimes--OP-ED "Don't Do it Bibi" Roger Cohen
- Don’t Do It, Bibi - NYTimes.com
Temptation rises for Israel to make a terrible mistake.
1-17-12NYTimes OP-ED "Newt Gingrich and the Art of Racial Politics" Charles Blow
- Newt Gingrich and the Art of Racial Politics - NYTimes.com
Juan Williams and Newt Gingrich have a telling exchange.
1-17-12FreePress--Top 5 Worse Selling Vehicles in 2011
- Top 5 Worst-Selling Vehicles of 2011 | InvestorPlace
Auto sales were up in 2011, but not every make and model was fortunate enough to be a winner. Here are five vehicles that dealers found themselves stuck with.
1-17-12NYTimes--Romney Target of Attacks in GOP Debate Last Night
- Forceful Attack Against Romney in Republican Debate - NYTimes.com
With five days remaining before the South Carolina primary, the Republican challengers wasted little time firing pointed questions at Mitt Romney during Monday night’s debate in Myrtle Beach.
1-17-12FreePress--Film Incentive Limits Dampen Interest in Michigan
- Less interest in Michigan with film-incentive limits, report shows | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
A just released semiannual report from the Michigan Film Office shows the impact of last year's shake-up of the state's film incentives. The report reveals a nearly two-thirds drop in applications during the latter half of 2011 as compared to the sam
1-17-12FreePress--Detroit Public Hearing on Fuel Economy Standards Today in Detroit
- Detroit public hearing to address fuel economy standards today | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
A public hearing is planned in Detroit about the Obama administration's proposal to nearly double fuel economy standards for cars and pickup trucks in the U.S.
1-17-12FreePress--Snyder to Call for Ethics Reform, Improved Public Services,
- In state of the state address, Rick Snyder to call for ethics reform, improved customer service | De
Businessman-turned-governor Rick Snyder will focus on 'improved customer service' to the citizens of Michigan in his second State of the State address on Wednesday, people familiar with the speech said Monday. Sources said Snyder will discuss:
1-17-12FreePress--Troy Council to Reconsider Bus-Train Transit Station Voted Down Last Month
- Troy City Council to reconsider bus-rail transit center tonight | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
The Troy City Council is to reconsider a controversial bus-rail transit center tonight that was voted down last month. The special meeting is at 7:30 p.m. at Troy City Hall, 500 W. Big Beaver.
1-17-11FreePress--Troy's Tea Pot Tempest Continues
- Controversial Mayor Janice Daniels thrusts Troy into national spotlight | Detroit Free Press | freep
In a nutshell, Janice Daniels' goals mirror the broad outline of the tea party platform: smaller government with less spending and fewer intrusions on personal liberty and traditional values. But Daniels' critics said it's hard to balance such ideals
The "Great Gatsby Curve" Economics for Public Policy
1-14-12Common Dreams--Bill Moyers Video on Our Winner-Take-All Economylity in America
- Moyers & Company: On Winner-Take-All Politics | Common Dreams
"Ninety percent of the public out there with no net worth." Gordon Gekko in "Wall Street."
Selling Sex at Somerset
1-8-12FreePress--Early Alzheimer's Detection Makes a Big Difference
- Early Alzheimer\'s detection makes big difference | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
John MacInnes, 84, and his wife of 22 years, Donna, cried together at the kitchen table when they heard the diagnosis: Alzheimer's disease. 'It's a disastrous word. You want to ignore it,' says Donna MacInnes.
"Casino Jack" Abramoff Proudly Reveals his Modus Operandi in His Recently Published Unrepentant Autobiography
Robert Frank in the February 2012 Harper's reviews Jack Abramoff's recently published unapologetic autobiography. Here is one of the most revealing passages from Frank's review of Abramoff's book.
"Capitol Punishment": Abramoff Proudly Describes his Modus Operandi
Robert Frank in the February 2012 Harper's reviews Jack Abramoff's recently published unapologetic autobiography. Here is one of the most revealing passages from Frank's review of Abramoff's book.
"The supremely interesting chapter of the superlobbyist's life goes conspicuously unmentioned in Capitol Punishment. Still, the episode appears to have left its traces. Abramoff's Washington is a place where everyone is a pawn of someone else: a bought man or even an 'asset' of some lobbyist or all-powerful interest. When he would dangle a lucrative lobbying job before a Capitol Hill staffer, Abramoff tells us, 'I would own him...His paycheck may have been signed by the Congress, but he was already working for me, influencing his office for my client's best interests.'"
1-15-12NYTimes--"What the GOP Doesn't Want to Talk About"
- What They Don’t Want to Talk About - NYTimes.com
Mitt Romney and the Republican Party fear talking about income inequality in the campaign.
1-14-11NYTimes "How Fares the Dream?" Paul Krugman
- How Fares the Dream? - NYTimes.com
Martin Luther King would see a nation that judges people by the size of their paychecks.
1-15-12DetroitNewsNolan Finley: "Lawsuit Paints Different Picture of Ficano"
- Column: Lawsuit paints new image of Ficano | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
The picture emerging of Wayne County Executive Bob Ficano is not that of a hapless nice guy who was badly used by his staffers, but rather the head of an outfit that willfully used taxpayer money to make millionaires out of public servants.
1-15-12FreePress--Brian Dickerson--"Either Way You Look at it Ficano Loses"
- Brian Dickerson: Either way you look at it, Ficano loses | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Next to his ex-spouse, the last person any self-preserving politician wants to get into a public brawl with is his ex-deputy. A No. 2 seldom wins when he takes on No. 1. But No. 1 always loses, because anything he says to undercut his former deputy's
1-15-12FreePress--Snyder's Record of Victories, Few Defeats
- Gov. Rick Snyder\'s first year in office marked with victory, few defeats | Detroit Free Press | fre
Gov. Rick Snyder delivers his second State of the State address Wednesday, marking the end of a busy first year and an almost unbroken string of legislative victories. It was also a year of controversy for the freshman governor, as Democrats and thei
1-15-12NYTimes--Boehner Faces Restive GOP and New White House Attacks
- House Republicans Fear Another Session of Infighting - NYTimes.com
In the new session, Speaker John A. Boehner’s challenge is not only to corral House Republicans but also to preserve his party’s majority and fend off attacks from President Obama.
1-15-12NYT OP-ED "The Benefits of Bain Capitalism" Ross Douthat
- The Benefits of Bain Capitalism - NYTimes.com
The private equity revolution of Mitt Romney and others helped keep America competitive, but the human costs must be acknowledged, too.
1-15-12NYTimes--The 1%--Many Variations
- The 1 Percent Paint a More Nuanced Portrait of the Rich - NYTimes.com
While the 1 percent has become a catch-all to describe the very wealthy, the members of this group are diverse, especially in where they live, what they believe politically and just how rich they are.
1-15-12NYT OP-ED "Mitt's Big Love" Maureen Dowd
- Mitt’s Big Love - NYTimes.com
In fashion next fall: enigmatic, elusive, analytical Harvard grads.
1-14-12Common Dreams "Occupy Wall Street, What Now?" Naomi Klein
- Occupy Wall Street: Why Now? What's Next? | Common Dreams
"We know that there's a strong, radical, angry critique of corruption, and of the corporate takeover of the political process. There’s a really powerful calling out happening. What’s less clear is the extent to which people are getting ready to act."
1-14-12NYTimes--Colbert for President of the United States of South Carolina!
- Stephen Colbert Stirs Up Political Campaign and Media - NYTimes.com
In his bid to join the Republican presidential contest, Stephen Colbert is a serious performer playing a silly character, while the media and political world are deeply silly but pretending to be serious.
1-14-11FreePress--111-year-old Iraqi Woman Becomes an American Citizen
- 111-year-old woman -- oldest person in Michigan -- becomes naturalized American citizen | Detroit Fr
Already more than 100 years old with no one left to care for her, and with the Iraq war raging in her country, Warina Zaya Bashou had to get out. With the help of family and friends, Bashou was able to escape the conflict, arriving safely into the em
1-14-12FreePress--Mouron's Unfinished Ramps Force Trucks into Neighborhoods, Disrupting Community and Polluting the Air
- Moroun\'s unfinished ramps force trucks into neighborhoods, disrupting community | Detroit Free Pres
Trucks bound for Detroit from Windsor are not using a ramp that was designed to carry them from a customs inspections facility on the U.S. side of the Ambassador Bridge directly to I-75 or I-96. That ramp is not finished -- in fact, there's a big gap
1-14-12FreePress EDITORIAL "Time to Fine Tune Michigan's Emergency Manager Law
- Editorial: Time to fine-tune state\'s emergency manager law | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
The recent flap over how Pontiac receives and administers federal HUD funds suggests an opportunity to tweak the state's emergency manager law for the better -- something Gov. Rick Snyder and the Legislature should have on their 2012 agenda.
1-14-12FreePress--No Chicken Fried Steak for Matty
- Manuel (Matty) Moroun\'s jail meal brought in from exclusive Detroit Athletic Club | Detroit Free Pr
Forget chicken-fried steak. Billionaire Manuel Moroun didn't eat what the other inmates had for dinner Thursday in the Wayne County Jail. Turns out Moroun and bunkmate Dan Stamper, his aide, dined on a meal brought in from the Detroit Athletic Club.
1-14-12FreePress--Moroun Released from Jail at 1:44am
- Moroun, Ambassador bridge\'s billionaire owner, released from jail | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Saying he loved his country and couldn't wait to see his family, billionaire Manuel (Matty) Moroun walked free from the Wayne County Jail on Friday evening thanks to the Michigan Court of Appeals.
1-13-12FreePress--Mouron's Announced Resignation Didn't Fool the Judge
- Moroun\'s announced resignation from board of directors didn\'t sway the judge | Detroit Free Press
The revelation that Manuel (Matty) Moroun resigned from the board of the Detroit International Bridge Co. didn't stop a judge from throwing the Michigan billionaire into jail Thursday morning. As it turns out, Moroun is not stepping down. Moroun's at
1-13-12FreePress--Judge Prentis Edwards Has Seen it All
- No-nonsense Judge Prentis Edwards has seen it all in long career | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
The departure of billionaire Manuel (Matty) Moroun and his top aide Dan Stamper to jail Thursday was hardly the most dramatic exit from Judge Prentis Edwards' courtroom. That honor is held by murder defendant Henry Lindsey, who in 1983 dived headfirs
1-14-12FreePress--Martin Luther King Day Events
- Martin Luther King Jr. events | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Events Celebrate Dr. Martin Luther King's Birthday with New Work Projects: With speakers Grace Lee Boggs, Frithjof Bergman, Ron Scott and local activists. 2-5 p.m. Church of the Messiah Episcopal, 231 E. Grand, Detroit. 313-567-1158.
1-13-12FreePress--Ex-aide Accuses Ficano of Coverup--Something rotten in Denmark??
- Ex-aide accuses Ficano of cover-ups | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
The lawsuit former Deputy Wayne County Executive Azzam Elder filed against his old boss Robert Ficano may encounter some turbulence generated by an unlikely source: Elder himself. Elder sued Ficano, the embattled Wayne County executive, on Wednesday.
1-13-11NYTimes--"America isn't a Corporation" Paul Krugman
- America Isn’t a Corporation - NYTimes.com
What’s with the notion that this country needs a successful businessman as president? Making good economic policy isn’t at all like maximizing corporate profits. We don't need a Gordon Gekko president.
1-13-12NYTimes--Inside the Fed in 2006: What me worry?
- Inside the Fed in 2006 - A Coming Crisis, and Banter - NYTimes.com
Top policy makers did not seriously consider the idea that problems in the housing market would bring a recession, newly released transcripts show. The Fed governors didn't realize how the housing bubble was intertwined with the financial system.
1-13-12FreePress--Stephen Henderson--Detroit's Own Gordon Gekko in the Clink
- Stephen Henderson: No joy in seeing Moroun jailed -- but valuable lessons on greed | Detroit Free Pr
The larger dispute over the Ambassador Gateway project casts doubt on how little regard one of this area's wealthiest and most powerful citizens has for the people who use his bridge, or for the laws that govern us all.
1-13-12FreePress--EDITORIAL "Jail Should Get Moroun's Attention"
- Editorial: Jail should get Moroun\'s attention | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Jailing an 84-year-old man sounds harsh, but Circuit Judge Prentis Edwards had little choice today after Manuel (Matty) Moroun repeatedly defied orders to complete the vital Gateway Project, connecting the Ambassador Bridge to nearby expressways. Mor
1-13-12FreePress--Chicken Fried Steak for Matty
- The view from Moroun\'s jail cell: Chicken-fried steak, little privacy | Detroit Free Press | freep.
The billionaire became inmate No. 12-981, having lost his battle with a judge. Ambassador Bridge owner Manuel (Matty) Moroun and top aide Dan Stamper traded in business suits for green prisoner's garb Thursday on their first day in Wayne County jail
1-12-12FreePress--Mouron and Stamper Jailed!
- Bridge owner Moroun to spend night in jail after appeals court denies bid for release | Detroit Free
Thursday evening, a three-judge panel of the Michigan Court of Appeals denied Moroun’s and Dan Stamper’s request for release from jail pending appeal. That means the pair will stay in jail at least until the appeals court hears further arguments. It
1-12-12NYT "Unemployed Mortgage Holders Get Extension on Payments"
- Unemployed Mortgage Holders Get Payment Extension - NYTimes.com
Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac say they will extend their existing programs so that unemployed borrowers can defer part or all of their monthly payments for up to 12 months.
1-12-12NYT "Path Opens for Taliban Peace Talks"
- Against Odds, Path Opens Up for U.S.-Taliban Talks - NYTimes.com
The Taliban’s willingness to open a political office in Qatar represents a critical point in the United States’s attempt to negotiate an end to the war in Afghanistan.
1-12-12NYTimes EDITORIAL "The Next Immigration Challenge"
- The Next Immigration Challenge - NYTimes.com
We must shift from an immigration policy of keeping newcomers out to an immigrant policy of encouraging migrants and their children to integrate into our social fabric.
1-12-12FreePress--Detroit Eastern Market Renovations Begin
- Officials break ground for Eastern Market\'s Shed 5 renovations | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Detroit’s Eastern Market took another big step in its evolution as a key part of the local food system with groundbreaking on its Shed 5 renovations. The $3.9-million projecty includes a community kitchen at which entrepreneurial food businesses.
1-12-11FreePress--Flat Rock-Trenton Cops Caught Running Betting Ring Out of Police Station
- Flat Rock, Trenton officials charged with racketeering | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
A Flat Rock police sergeant and a Trenton Department of Public Services employee were arraigned Wednesday on charges stemming from an illegal sports betting operation that they ran during work hours using city telephones, Michigan Attorney General Bi
1-12-12FreePress--Pontiac Fed Funds Turned Over to Oakland County
- Takeover of Pontiac HUD funds criticized, but emergency manager calls the move necessary | Detroit F
The emergency manager of Pontiac has come under fire by lawmakers for giving Oakland County too much control over federal funds that the city uses to fix up houses and clean up neighborhoods.
1-12-11FreePress--Marijuana Charges Brought by Oakland County Dropped
- 7 cleared of drug charges from raid at Ferndale marijuana dispensary | Detroit Free Press | freep.co
Defense attorneys hailed a decision by an Oakland County judge to dismiss drug conspiracy charges against 7 people arrested during a controversial 2010 raid on a Ferndale medical marijuana dispensary. Marijuana raids are a waste of taxpayers' money.
1-12-12FreePress--Former Oakland County Chairman Gets Parole on Tea Party Scam Conviction
- Man paroled, fined for role in tea party scam | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
A former Oakland County Democratic Party operative was sentenced to a year of parole and ordered to pay more than $2,500 in fines and court costs for his role in creating fake tea party candidates during the 2010 election in an effort to siphon off s
1-12-12FreePress--Moroun in Court Today on Contempt Charge
- Moroun may face jail in bridge dispute today | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
If not for the controversies and lawsuits, more Detroiters might celebrate Manuel (Matty) Moroun as one of their genuine rags-to-riches stories. A local businessman of Lebanese descent, Moroun has built his family's modest trucking firm into a North
1-9-11NYTimes OP-ED "Just the Ticket" Bill Keller
- Just the Ticket - NYTimes.com
Why Hillary Clinton is the answer. Seriously. Bill Keller recommends an Obama-Clinton ticket. Joe Biden would swap jobs with Clinton.
1-11-12Detroit News--GM Considering Retiree Pension Buyout Options
- Analyst: GM could launch retiree pension 'buyout' | The Detroit News | detroitnews.c
Detroit— General Motors may launch a program to 'buy out' the pensions of some of its retirees — in an effort to reduce its unfunded liabilities, an industry analyst said Wednesday.
1-10-12NYTimes--Romney's Record at Bain Capital
- As Romney Advances, Private Equity Becomes Part of the Debate - NYTimes.com
The private equity industry has come under scrutiny as Mitt Romney’s Republican rivals have attacked his record at the investment firm Bain Capital.
1-5-12NYTimes OP-ED--"Bain, Barack and Jobs" Paul Krugman
- Bain, Barack and Jobs - NYTimes.com
Mitt Romney says that President Obama has been a job destroyer, while he was a job-creating businessman. But those claims border on dishonesty.
1-11-12FreePress--EDITORIAL--Bigotry and Ignorance in Troy Mayor's Office
- Editorial: Troy Mayor Daniels again makes her prejudice clear | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
The most peculiar thing about bigots is that they never figure the term applies to them. Or they're smart enough to know that, at least in polite society, prejudice is like nose-picking. So prejudice in 2012 is the art of veiled references and coded
1-10-12FreePress EDITORIAL "M-1 Rail Plan Must Complement Rapid Buses"
- Editorial: M-1 rail plan must complement rapid buses | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
In a region that has hit nothing but dead ends on transit lately, the news that private M-1 Rail sponsors intend to press on with plans to build a shorter, 3. Woodward is encouraging. Light rail could complement planned rapid transit buses in four re
1-10-12NYT OP-ED "Where are the Liberals?" David Brooks
- Where Are the Liberals? - NYTimes.com
All circumstances point to a golden age for liberalism. But the left is maxed out.
1-10-12NYTimes--EDITORIAL "The Corporate Candidates"
- The Corporate Candidates - NYTimes.com
The Republican presidential hopefuls with backgrounds in ordering layoffs and lobbying Congress can’t relate to struggling voters.
1-10-12NYTimes--Voters' Voices in New Hampshire
- Voters’ Voices: In New Hampshire - Interactive Feature - NYTimes.com
The Times asked voters in New Hampshire who they were planning on voting for prior to Tuesday’s primary.
1-12-12NYTimes--$5 million Check from Billionaire Keeps Gingrich Campaign Alive
- Sheldon Adelson, a Billionaire, Gives Gingrich a Big Lift - NYTimes.com
A $5 million check from Sheldon Adelson underscores how last year’s landmark Supreme Court ruling on campaign finance has made it possible for a wealthy individual to influence an election.
1-10-12FreePress--Ignorance in the Troy Mayor's Office
- More remarks about homosexuality embroil Troy mayor | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Troy Mayor Janice Daniels, lambasted at a City Council meeting last month for calling gay people 'queers' on her Facebook page, is embroiled in another controversy about gay people -- this time involving students from Troy High School.
1-10-12FreePress--Ficano Lays Off 44
- Ficano lays off 44 to save Wayne County money | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Embattled Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano announced 44 layoffs Monday, including 13 of his appointees, in a move to attack a deficit that was estimated at $160 million in October.
1-9-12FreePress---DETROIT AUTO SHOW
- Detroit Free Press | Detroit news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving D
Detroit Michigan News - freep.com is the home page of Detroit Michigan with in depth and updated Detroit local news. Stay informed with both Detroit Michigan news as well as headlines and stories from around the world.
1-9-11NYTimes--OP-ED "America's Unlevel Field" Paul Krugman
- America’s Unlevel Field - NYTimes.com
So where is that evidence that Mitt Romney or his party cares at all about equality of opportunity?
What's New in Michigan Politics 2012
This site endeavors to provide news and commentary on Michigan politics and national political and economic news of importance to Michigan.
1-9-12NYTimes EDITORIAL--"Republicans Versus Reproductive Rights"
- Republicans Versus Reproductive Rights - NYTimes.com
Voters should not be fooled. The assault on women’s reproductive health is a central part of the Republican agenda.
1-9-12 Outrageous Drug and Hospital Fees--Letter to the Editor of the Free Press
In response to the Dec. 30 article "Insurers urge state: Change no-fault system": More than scaling back unlimited coverage for catastrophic injuries, there is urgent need to put laws in place to curb the highway robbery perpetrated by the medical system on people who don't have insurance or have namby-pamby coverage that has no teeth to stand up to usurious rates.
To charge auto insurers $1,820 for a CT scan that Medicare allows only $261 is unconscionable. What is worse is that for a person who has no insurance and pays from pocket, the rates charged are even more outrageous.
My son had a surgery for the slightest of ankle fractures. The total time from entry into the revolving door of the hospital to coming out into the parking area was, at tops, three hours. His stay in the operating room was 45 minutes. The bill? A whopping $8,600. That did not include the surgeon's and anesthesiologist's fees and post-surgical medical supplies, all of which were in the stratosphere as well.
Surendra Kelwala, MD
1-9-12FreePress EDITORIAL--Drug Testing Discriminates Against the Poor
- Editorial: Drug-testing proposal discriminates against poor | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
More than a decade after courts wisely rejected Michigan's efforts to drug-test welfare recipients, state legislators are considering a new version of this discriminatory practice.
1-9-12FreePress--Detroit Auto Show
- Detroit Free Press | Detroit news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving D
Detroit Michigan News - freep.com is the home page of Detroit Michigan with in depth and updated Detroit local news. Stay informed with both Detroit Michigan news as well as headlines and stories from around the world.
1-8-12NYTimes Book Review "Pity the Billionaire" reviewed by Michael Kinsley "Bipolar America"
- Pity The Billionaire — By Thomas Frank — Book Review - NYTimes.com
Thomas Frank argues that conservative politicians and President Obama are governing to please the plutocrats. This book review by Cranbrook alumnus Michael Kinsley is worth reading.
1-8-12 Doonesbury on Gingrich
1-7-11NYTimes--Election 2012 Sunday Night Debate
- Manchester, New Hampshire Republican Debate | New York Times Live Blog - Live Debate - Election 2012
Live coverage of the Jan. 7 Manchester, New Hampshire broadcast by ABC
1-7-11Daily Kos--Health Insurance Companies Had a Very Good Year--Profits Increase Average 49%
1-7-11NYTimes--"Laid Off With Retirement in Sight"
- Laid Off, With Retirement Almost in Sight - NYTimes.com
Many older unemployed people — nearly two million over age 55 — must make tough decisions about how to make up for lost income.
1-7-12FreePress--Beaumont, Blues, Reach 5-year Deal
- Beaumont, Blues reach 5-year deal | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and the Beaumont Hospitals system announced Friday that they had reached agreement on a new five-year contract that will continue care to some 100,000 people covered by a Blues subsidiary.
`1-7-12FreePress EDITORIAL--Lop-sided Grand Jury Justice--Time for Some Changes to Stop "Ham Sandwich" Indictments
- Editorial: Lopsided justice in grand jury system | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Former New York State Chief Appellate Judge Sol Wachtler famously observed that, in the hands of a skilled prosecutor, 'a grand jury would indict a ham sandwich.'
1-7-12FreePress--$1 Million Secret Wayne County Settlement--Recall Ficano Time??
- Secret settlement could end up costing Wayne County $1 million | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
A former Wayne County mental health director -- fired after claiming County Executive Robert Ficano improperly dumped political appointees on her payroll -- could collect an extra $1 million in pension benefits under a confidential settlement made in
1-7-12FreePress--Detroit Light Rail Plan May be Revived with Shorter Route Ending at Grand Boulevard
- Detroit light rail revived, but with shorter route | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Gov. Rick Snyder and Detroit Mayor Dave Bing insisted Friday that a light-rail line for Detroit is still possible, backtracking on their decision last month to pull passenger trains out of the mix of modernized transit options for the city.
1-6-11NYTimes--Under Obama a Record Decline in Government Jobs
- Under Obama, a Record Decline in Government Jobs - NYTimes.com
The loss of public sector jobs has been greater in the first three years of the Obama administration than even under Ronald Reagan.
1-6-12NYTimes "Making More things in the USA" Floyd Norris
- U.S. Manufacturing Is a Bright Spot for the Economy - NYTimes.com
Amid signs of improvement in the overall jobs climate, manufacturing stands out as an area of strength in the American economy.
1-6-12 NYTimes--SEC says it will stop agreeing to civil fraud settlements with the wording "neither admitting nor denying guilt."
- S.E.C. to Change Policy on Companies’ Admission of Guilt - NYTimes.com
Companies settling civil securities charges will no longer be allowed to say they “neither admit nor deny” the commission’s civil charges in cases where criminal guilt has already been established.
1-6-11NYTimes OP-ED "Games and Gimmicks in the Senate" Lawrence Tribe
- Games and Gimmicks in the Senate - NYTimes.com
Pro forma Senate sessions present an unconstitutional interference with the president’s irreducible power and duty.
1-6-11FreePress--Chrysler to Add 1,100 Jobs at Jefferson Plant
- Chrysler to add 1,100 workers at Detroit plant | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Chrysler said Thursday that it plans to add 1,100 jobs at its Jefferson North assembly plant in Detroit, where it assembles the Dodge Durango and Jeep Grand Cherokee SUVs. The Auburn Hills automaker also plans to begin assembling a diesel version of
1-6-11FreePress--Gays Sue Governor on Law Prohibiting Health Insurance for Domestic Partners
- Domestic partners sue Snyder, state over law prohibiting providing health insurance | Detroit Free P
Gerardo Ascheri says he thought he had escaped repression when he emigrated from Argentina to the U.S. in 1987 and eventually became an American citizen.
1-6-11FreePress--EDITORIAL--"Grading Governor Snyder"
- Editorial: Grading Governor Snyder | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Social issues: D Snyder has made little effort to fend off the worst excesses of the GOP hard right, signing a bill that destroys any hope of benefits for domestic partners of public employees. His sharpest criticism of pending legislation generally
1-6-11FreePress--Santorum's Google Problem Remains
- Rick Santorum\'s Google problem remains | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
A candidate's search results page is one of the most important tools on the Web for pointing potential voters in the right direction. For Rick Santorum, that's a bit of an issue.
1-6-12FreePress--Bing Plan Rejected by Council
- Mayor Dave Bing\'s Detroit rescue plan fails to win over City Council | Detroit Free Press | freep.c
Mayor Dave Bing delivered to Detroiters a rescue plan Thursday that he says can save the city from insolvency and an emergency manager. But the plan is not new and depends largely on concessions that unions have strongly resisted.
1-6-11FreePress--Unemployment Falls; 200,000 Jobs Added
- Unemployment rate falls to 8.5% as economy adds 200K jobs | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
A burst of hiring in December pushed the unemployment rate to its lowest level in nearly three years, giving the economy a boost at the end of 2011.
1-5-12Politico--Obama Appoints Three to National Labor Relations Board
- President Obama appoints three to NLRB - Joseph Williams - POLITICO.com
The move brings the National Labor Relations Board to full strength. Obama makes three recess appointments to the NLRB, two Democrats and one Republican.
1-5-12Detroit News EDITORIAL--"Romney Now Needs to Look to Rubio'
- Romney now needs to look to Rubio | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
The great thing about Iowa is that no matter whom the voters select in their neighborhood huddles, it doesn't really matter.
1-5-12DetroitNews--Oakland County Dems Fight Districting Law
- Oakland Co. Dems fight districting law | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
Lansing - Oakland County Democrats on Wednesday filed a lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of a bill that shrinks the county's commission and allows its members to decide voting districts.
1-5-11NYTimes--Obama Outlines Downsized Military and More Focused Strategy
- Obama Describes Refocused Strategy for Leaner Military - NYTimes.com
In an unusual appearance in the Pentagon briefing room, President Obama put his mark on a new military strategy driven by $450 billion in Pentagon budget cuts over the next decade.
1-5-12NYTimes--GOP--One Party--Three Platforms
- For G.O.P., One Party but Three Platforms - Room for Debate - NYTimes.com
Does Iowa's three-way split indicate that the eventual nominee will disappoint most Republicans? Is this an opening for a third party?
1-5-11FreePress--Oakland Must Relinquish Light Rail Dreams
- Editorial: Oakland County, too, must relinquish light-rail dreams | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
When local leaders scrapped plans for light rail in Detroit, they also dimmed -- if not demolished -- immediate prospects for light rail in Oakland County. Getting behind a new plan for regional rapid transit buses, including service on Woodward in O
1-5-11FreePress--"Has GOP Built a Better Michigan? YES."
- Opposing points of view: With the budget in order and hiring up, the state GOP has Michigan moving i
Improving the economic picture in Michigan was and continues to be the No. 1 goal for House Republicans in the Michigan Legislature.
1-5-11FreePress--"Has GOP Built a Better Michigan? NO."
- Opposing points of view: State Republicans have taxed seniors unfairly, weakened the safety net and
The Republican-controlled Legislature and governor's office are proving the axiom that a less active government is better. In 2011, of 280-plus public acts passed by the Republican Legislature and signed into law by Gov. Rick Snyder, a scant 4% were
1-5-11NYTimes--"Harder for Americans to Rise from Poverty than in Canada and Western Europe"
- Harder for Americans to Rise From Lower Rungs - NYTimes.com
Americans enjoy less economic mobility than their peers in Canada and much of Western Europe in part because of the depth of poverty, family background and the gaps between the rich and the rest. The Horatio Alger myth is fading.
1-5-12FreePress--Even as Economy Imporoves Non-Profits Suffer
- Guest commentary: Even as economy improves, nonprofits will feel the pinch | Detroit Free Press | fr
Even as Michigan's economy picks up in 2012, nonprofits in metro Detroit shouldn't expect things to go back to normal. For some, the end of the state tax credit for certain charitable gifts is likely to be a hardship. For others, the problem will be
- Detroit 3 all gain market share in \'11 | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Detroit's automakers each gained market share in 2011 for the first time since 1988 as the overall automotive industry finished the year by selling the most cars and trucks since 2008. Total industry sales for the year topped an estimated 12.78 milli
1-4-11FreePress--Strong Sales by Detroit 3 Tom Walsh
- Tom Walsh: Strong sales year puts Detroit 3 on brighter road | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Three weeks ago, at a Chrysler holiday reception in Auburn Hills, CEO Sergio Marchionne stood slouched against a wall, away from the crowd, nursing a nasty cold and cough.
1-1-12NYT OP-ED "Nobody Understands Debt" Paul Krugman
- Nobody Understands Debt - NYTimes.com
The obsession with deficit reduction is wrongheaded and ill-informed.
1-1-12NYTimes OP-ED--The GOP's Bitter Harvest from the Iowa Caucuses Frank Bruni
- The Iowa Caucuses’ Bitter Harvest - NYTimes.com
Extreme positions on the campaign trail in Iowa do damage to the Republican Party.
1-1-12FreePress--Detroit Will Do What Needs to be Done
- We will do what must be done, Detroit financial review board says | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Members of the 10-person team appointed by the state to examine Detroit's troubled budget are pledging to put Michigan's largest city on the path to a future revival -- while also bracing for the demanding and unpopular job ahead.
1-1-12FreePress--A Contentious Year as Elections Loom
1-1-12FreePress--Ten Issues that Detroit Will Be Watching
- 10 issues that Detroit area will be watching | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
The rebound in Detroit's auto industry powered Michigan's economy in 2011, creating jobs and a renewed sense of optimism. But the state still faces plenty of challenges, from high unemployment and population loss to Detroit's fiscal crisis. Here are
1-1-12NYTimes--Six Economists' Views of the Economy
- From 6 Economists, 6 Ways to Face 2012 — Economic View - NYTimes.com
Jobs. Europe. Housing. Health care. The writers of the Economic View column examine these and other big issues of the new year, and possible ways to solve them.
1-1-12NYTimes--Lessons Learned in 2012 Gretchen Morgenson
- 2011, a Year of Me-Firsts in Business — Fair Game - NYTimes.com
Make taxpayers — or your investors — pay for your mistakes. Kick the deficit can down the road. The last year offered these and other examples of the world’s financial follies.
1-1-12NYTimes EDITORIAL--"Where the Real Jobs Are"
- Where the Real Jobs Are - NYTimes.com
The Keystone pipeline is bad energy policy and doesn’t do enough for the economy. President Obama should argue for alternative fuel sources and clean energy jobs.